Need toning advice, want to go icy blonde/grey

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmas91

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I started off with ombré hair, natural roots (base 6) and blonde ends, but decided I really wanted to go a really icy blonde/ light grey. When having ombré my stylist was toning my ends with L’Oréal dialight 9.11 and I really liked the results so decided that was the toner of choice. I bleached my hair fully, and used the Shwarzkopf Blond me bleach with the matching 6% toner as it has bonding ingredients in and causes less damage apparently. When I washed the bleach off, the top half which was my natural base 6 was obviously a lot more yellow than the already blonde ends. I used the Dialight 9.11 with 3% on my damp hair after shampooing the bleach once, but it didn’t really take to my top half. I waited a week and re bleached the top half after applying coconut oil for a few hours as apparently this helps the damage and the bleach still takes through it, when I washed it off, my roots were still yellow. I toned my hair again whilst damp with the 9.11 and 3% and it actually looked amazing I was so happy with the results. I washed my hair for the first time today after re bleaching and toning, using the Fanola shampoo and treatment. My top half seems like the toner has almost completely washed out as I can see yellow patches, and the ends have gone lilac from the Fanola. Help! I really want it to look even and the toner not to fade. What do I do? Shall I use 6% with 9.11 on dry hair?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
coconut oil? Are you a qualified hairdresser?

coconut oil? Are you a qualified hairdresser?
I qualified about 10 years ago I got NVQ level 2, but I stopped hairdressing years ago. Apparently applying it before bleaching makes it less harsh on your hair and I tried it because I had already bleached it once

Coconut oil isn’t a miracle cure to prevent damage when bleaching but lots of home diy-ers think it is. The only product that will help reduce damage is Olaplex.

Did you apply an anti-oxi after bleaching?

Adding violet to yellow will neutralise the yellow but to get silver/platinum, you need to neutralise then add more violet. With silver grey, if its not lifted to a 10, you’ll struggle to get a decent colour by toning alone.

I qualified about 10 years ago I got NVQ level 2, but I stopped hairdressing years ago. Apparently applying it before bleaching makes it less harsh on your hair and I tried it because I had already bleached it once
I know this is likely to sound harsh, and it really isn't meant to.....this platform is for helping each other.....but from your posts on this thread, although you said you qualified at level 2, you really don't sound very sure of your ability. You repeatedly say 'apparently' which makes me wonder if you're going by WHAT YOU KNOW from your education, or WHAT YOU'VE BEEN WATCHING on you tube or the internet. If you aren't sure, or can't remember, please leave colouring your hair until you've been able to do a refresher course. While we're happy to help, we don't want you to damage your hair.

I posted a question a while ago on this platform and was verbally attacked for not knowing what I was doing. Yes - I am a qualified hairdresser, but do not practice any more. I have no idea why people would come to this site if all they get is a barrage of negative comments. People want help. Isn't this what this platform is all about. I'm now unsubscribing because I've now had enough of this!

I posted a question a while ago on this platform and was verbally attacked for not knowing what I was doing. Yes - I am a qualified hairdresser, but do not practice any more. I have no idea why people would come to this site if all they get is a barrage of negative comments. People want help. Isn't this what this platform is all about. I'm now unsubscribing because I've now had enough of this!
I haven't verbally abused anyone, but I don't want the lady to end up with no hair!

If someone is struggling to remember how to do something, and they need a bit of advice, then that's fair and lots of people are happy to help here. However, they do need to remember what they are doing, if qualified a while ago, and be fairly confident that they know enough that they wont cause damage to themselves or others. We're dealing with chemicals, after all.

If it's been a while since someone has qualified, things change, and some will keep up with those changes, and some will not. I couldn't even start to tell you the differences in both working practices and products over the last 35 years....and some members on here could tell you from before then!

If you visited a doctor who hadn't practiced for 20 years, would you be happy for him/her to treat you? Or would you want to first check they had, at least kept up to date with new treatments, practices, medicines, etc?

We just want everyone to be safe......and in this case, not bald!🤔🙈

Latest posts

Back