Need wax advice, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Izzy Darcy

Reaction score
He all, i'm am new to this industry and need some advice. I recently completed a Certificate III in Beauty and about to complete a Diploma. I have started working at a salon and I am feeling the pressure. Very stressed out. I have to complete a wax pack of underarms, leg and braz in 45 min. No rollers for the legs and I have to use calico strips that I find hard to control. Sometimes I can do a braz/hollywood in 30min but clients have different needs! I have been thrown in the deep end with little to no support. At school we only get so many clients to practice on. My timing is improving, I am sure I will get there, I am a good worker with strong work ethics. But boy I am feeling the heat atm... I was expecting a little more understanding and time to build up my skills. I don't wanna half ass a job and send off a client with a bodgy job! Other students are working and their bosses are easing them in, letting the clients know that they are new in the industry to ease off the pressure... for me its the total opposite...

I realise I have been putting the wax on too thick when I do a braz! it's been taking to long to set... but I worry it I don't cover the hair (long hair) properly the hair won't come off.. esp if the client has long hair... any braz tips would be great... any tips on controlling calico strips would be awesome!!!!! how do i pick up my speed.... and how long should it normally take to do wax pack treatments????

Thanks everyone :confused:

That's crazy! 45 mins is what you get in college to just do the legs!
Can you trim longer hair before a Brazilian? That would help. The calico you get used to, just treat them exactly the same and be firm. Use both hands lay it down quickly. Alternatively you could just take in some paper strips to work just for the time being while you are getting your speed up.
What happens if you are a little slower? Have you explained to clients yourself that you are new?

I am not allowed to tell the clients that im new... if i'm slow i get in trouble by the boss... its not cool... very unrealistic expectations on someone who is new to waxing. Thanks for your tips! :) I would have to sneak in the paper strips and she would kick my butt if I was caught with them. I do sneak in powder... they don't cleanse, don't use powder or use pre wax oil to prep the skin. Tonight I watched a few braz youtube clips... found a few tips to sped up my time... hopefully

Poor you. That's really not ok. It looks bad on them tbh too! As if you leave people with patches then they won't come back even if it was really quick. Most clients value quality over speed.
What do you say if clients ask how long you've been doing it?
No pre wax on intimate waxing! Not nice. How do the other staff feel?
Are you in a union?

If I was a client... I wouldn't go back. The other staff aren't happy too. The boss is a tyrant and no one is game to speak up. If they do they are shut down or even let go. There is a high turnover of staff because of how badly the salon is run. No union. I will have to look into that. I am looking for other work atm. I plan on putting up with it till I find something better or till I lose the plot. When clients ask how long iv been doing it... I have to lie :(. I told my boss that I was totally uncomfortable with that but she told me I had to. I don't get it. I hate lying!!! its not in my nature and to me it makes more sense to be honest. Some clients may prefer an experienced therapist sure but some don't mind at all. My friend works at a salon where they put up a learner sign in her room and the clients pay a little less for the treatment. Training new therapist are worth the investment in the long run. I work at a franchise and I'm not familiar on their procedures. I was thinking of sussing out the exact franchise rules and see if they match up to whats gong on in the salon. I think the boss may be cutting corners.

He all, i'm am new to this industry and need some advice. I recently completed a Certificate III in Beauty and about to complete a Diploma. I have started working at a salon and I am feeling the pressure. Very stressed out. I have to complete a wax pack of underarms, leg and braz in 45 min. No rollers for the legs and I have to use calico strips that I find hard to control. Sometimes I can do a braz/hollywood in 30min but clients have different needs! I have been thrown in the deep end with little to no support. At school we only get so many clients to practice on. My timing is improving, I am sure I will get there, I am a good worker with strong work ethics. But boy I am feeling the heat atm... I was expecting a little more understanding and time to build up my skills. I don't wanna half ass a job and send off a client with a bodgy job! Other students are working and their bosses are easing them in, letting the clients know that they are new in the industry to ease off the pressure... for me its the total opposite...

I realise I have been putting the wax on too thick when I do a braz! it's been taking to long to set... but I worry it I don't cover the hair (long hair) properly the hair won't come off.. esp if the client has long hair... any braz tips would be great... any tips on controlling calico strips would be awesome!!!!! how do i pick up my speed.... and how long should it normally take to do wax pack treatments????

Thanks everyone :confused:

Sounds a terrible place to work regarding the timings and the way they deliver their treatments. Hope things get a bit better for you although it sounds that in the longer term you would be better in a different salon...
Good luck and hope things work out for you..

If clients are asking how long you've been performing treatments then it would suggest that they realise you are new to the treatment. Clients aren't stupid especially if they have had the treatment many times before!

This place sounds like a nightmare for you. No wonder the salon can't keep their staff. All the owner has to do is allow for extra time and make sure the client understands that the therapist is newly qualified. At least they will then know and make allowances. I hope you find somewhere else soon. Somewhere you'll be supported and guided rather than this, in my opinion, unprofessional salon.

Good luck and thank god we have this forum to vent and ask questions! x

Well first off I'd look for another job! Slave drivers.

You should always trim the hair if it's too long for a Brazilian as this will hurt the client less and minimise hair breakage.

45 mins for an under arm, half leg and full Brazilian is plenty of time but not if it's a full leg...........not if you want to do a good job as you quite rightly do.

On the down side they're putting you under too much pressure but on the up side you'll be a fast worker and it will stand you in good stead in your next job which I hope is very soon.

Latest posts

Back