Needing help with gel application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dani3300

Reaction score
Hello all,

This may very well be on a forum somewhere but whenever I search it’s telling me that the words were not included because of the length of them or because they’re too common.

Anyway... long story short... I qualified as a nail tech a few years ago but didn’t really do anything with the qualification because I had no one to practice on. Recently started to get more people interested, so I’ve started doing more people’s nails, as well as my own. I only use gel polishes and builder if asked.

My application feels like it takes forever, my removal usually takes over an hour. If I do tips with builder gel, it’s at least 3 hrs.
I’m getting really frustrated and down about all of this. I struggle to find time to practice because I work a full time job which is approx. An hour away from home. So by the time I get in and cook, eat, clean and shower.. it’s practically bed time.

Last night I took my last gel mani off and went to reapply another. I disliked it so much that I’ve taken most of it back off.

My current issue lies with why the polish isn’t sitting neat? As in, if I apply a colour it’s fine. But when I apply a nude it ends up having dips in it and you can really see them (I could actually cry at this) I feel so useless and embarrassed. I’m getting more people ask me to do their nails and yet, feel like I’m failing.

This is something I would love to eventually do full time. But it seems that the only time the nails are any good is when I do my own. My nails never chip or break yet all of my clients will chip within a few days, I even did tips with a gel overlay and they came off the next day. I’m doing everything I was taught prep wise so I have no idea what’s going on.

The gel polishes I use are Kiki London and The Gel Bottle, the gel builder/overlay I use is ibd.

If anyone could help, that would be great.

Thanks,
Dani

Hi, it sounds like some further training is actually what's needed. We can give you loads of tips and suggestions but your issues are things that need addressing face to face. Look at at 1-2-1 with a local reputable educator or perhaps revisit your original training provider. If you're planning to make this your career and business you need to invest in yourself

Hiya!! I agree some refresher training would be best, are applying gel in really thin layers? It depends on the brand but some require thin layers and others require thicker. It will take ages to begin with, but if you think about it, your taking time to get things perfect so just keep going and you will naturally get better!!! Also...when you say you're applying nude when it's lumpy...is that the builder? Once youve applied enough layers, give it a buff to smooth out any bumps! xxx

I agree with Trinity, I think a few hours 1-2-1 with a local educator could do you the world of good.

In the meantime, which lamp are you using? Is it matched to the gels that you're using? this is important as to undercured the gels could cause chipping as well as a raft of different problems.

And how much are you charging for the nails you're doing on other people? If you're not taking anything, it could be that they don't value them as they're cheap.

Hiya!! I agree some refresher training would be best, are applying gel in really thin layers? It depends on the brand but some require thin layers and others require thicker. It will take ages to begin with, but if you think about it, your taking time to get things perfect so just keep going and you will naturally get better!!! Also...when you say you're applying nude when it's lumpy...is that the builder? Once youve applied enough layers, give it a buff to smooth out any bumps! xxx

Hello, no, they aren’t in really thin layers because the gel bottle say they should be medium thickness and only 2 coats.
The nude isn’t a builder, no... but, basically, you know when you have a polish that isn’t fully opaque? It’s like that. So 1 coat means you can still see part of the nail through the colour, but even if I put another 2 coats on top I end up with bits that just will not have full coverage. It’s as if whenever I swipe the brush over the nail it reveals more nail and when I cute it, it ends up with dips in where you can almost see the nail through. It’s driving me crazy!
Thank you though... I’ll try buffing x

I agree with Trinity, I think a few hours 1-2-1 with a local educator could do you the world of good.

In the meantime, which lamp are you using? Is it matched to the gels that you're using? this is important as to undercured the gels could cause chipping as well as a raft of different problems.

And how much are you charging for the nails you're doing on other people? If you're not taking anything, it could be that they don't value them as they're cheap.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I’m using the lamp from the manufacturer of the main gel polish that I use - I made sure it was the same brand.

I’m currently charging £5 just for a gel colour, extra £2 for any nail art, gems etc. And £10 for tips

Latest posts

Back