Nervous about taking the plunge!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelloLovely

Reaction score
Hi Ladies !

I went and took my level 2 in beauty therapy when I was 17 - at this age I was already adamant that I wanted to have my own beauty room and was giddily excited.

Fast forward to the end of my training and I was diagnosed with ME which had a huge impact on things and I was pretty much housebound for a rather long time . I started getting to a manageable level and by some miraculous pull of fate had triplets when I was 22 ! At a year old - I decided to go back to beauty and take refresher courses in the bits I liked the most ( manicures , pedicures , spray tanning and gel polish) I quickly realised after completing them that it was going to be as easy as I thought with the boys and I couldnt get into the swing of it ( im still blaming the baby brain but it was also a partial relapse)

Scooting forward again - im going on 30, the boys are at school and I really really really want this . A hairdressers local to me has offered me a spot to offer my nail treatments and Im all excited again . But im also terrified that im going to be awful and I already know im not as good as the other therapists local to them as I have neither the confidence or the experience . Im also terrified that Im going to be doing it all wrong ...

Any tips for just getting there. I know I should just take the jump and go for it but what if i do something wrong?? I ask a lot of questions on the nail section on here but I feel like im constantly asking questions I should already know the answer too !

Anyone else been there ? Sorry for the long post!

xx

it's only natural to be nervous, you are human after all :) how about practise on some friends/family before you actually work on paying clients, just to boost your confidence? I know sometimes it's even more scary working on people you know, but if you offer it at a very discounted price or for free, it's got to do some good? Also, have faith in yourself. Seriously 6 months from now you'll be thinking "why was I so worried". I don't work in beauty anymore, but I used to and I remember when I went mobile and doing my first paying client's nails, I was terrified, I was so shaky and believed she'd never want me to do her nails again, fast forward 3 weeks and she contacted me again - they'd lasted that long! I was over the moon, and come my 4th client, I didn't shake at all and was super-confident so definitely have faith in yourself and good luck :)

Thank you Carly ! Ive placed the order for my new bits and I cant wait for it all to get here !!!! Im really excited and have a line of family and friends waiting for a taster !! still terrifying though isnt it xx

Go for it ;). I've always had a motto in life....if a decision doesn't scare me, i don't do it. All the big things that happen in life make you scared. I bet when you found out you were pregnant...you were scared, when you found out it was triplets....really scared (haha), when you gave birth...scared. But i bet this was the best moment of your life. You'll never know unless you try, and, if it doesn't work out or you decide its not right for you, at least you'll of gained some experience xx

Thank you Donnamich ! Yes, I am utterly terrified , and yes, having triplets was utterly terrifying ! :D . And even that I still don't feel like i'm doing right sometimes ! haha !
Its the unknown isnt it that throws a spanner in the works
Well ive bought the equipment now and few coulours and im all ready to give it my best shot ! Now I just need to sort my insurance ! :confused: xx

Thank you Donnamich ! Yes, I am utterly terrified , and yes, having triplets was utterly terrifying ! :D . And even that I still don't feel like i'm doing right sometimes ! haha !
Its the unknown isnt it that throws a spanner in the works
Well ive bought the equipment now and few coulours and im all ready to give it my best shot ! Now I just need to sort my insurance ! :confused: xx
You can do it!!! I think we all have moments of doubt. I was working from home, now i rent a room in a salon and i absolutely love it. it gets me out the house, gives me a break from being a mam and i get to mingle with adults and do a job that i love. I think you'll do it and love it too. Good luck :D;) xx

Do it! Practise on everyone you know and start the first few weeks with some introductory pricing to ease you in if you are worried.Why not follow up all your appointments with a call too? The next day, give everyone a call and check they are happy with their treatments. That way you will know they are happy, no need to worry :)

Thanks Rachel!

I thought about doing the introductory prices . Do you essentially just cut your prices in half for a couple of weeks? pricing wise im thinking ( based on area ) to charge £16 for a classic manicure and £18 for a classic pedicure? x

If you can I would get a little flyer made up with your prices on and a bit at the bottom that says 50% off with this flyer until ... (whatever date). Ask the Hairdressers to hand them out to customers for you before you even start, put them on noticeboards, community centre, Doctors, Post office, drop a few through some doors locally and try and get as many people booked. You could raffle off a free treatment? Offer to do the Hairdressers' nails for free in return for talking about what you offer to their clients? Get a buzz going, lots of treatments booked in and you will soon be feeling confident. :)

All Fabulous ideas Rachel ! Will get straight on it ! x

All Fabulous ideas Rachel ! Will get straight on it ! x
Also, if you can look after three babies all at once I'm pretty sure you can do anything!!! I have one little girl and that is hard work enough. Best of luck! :)

I went and did a manicure on my mum today and I genuinely can't believe how bad it was :( . It didn't even look like I had competed the cuticlenwork properly !!

I went and did a manicure on my mum today and I genuinely can't believe how bad it was :( . It didn't even look like I had competed the cuticlenwork properly !!
Just take a breath and dont over think things. Practice, practice, practice. I still have days where i think my work is complete bollocks, but my customers leave happy and thats the main thing. Don't rush, just take your time and don't put yourself down xx

Hi Ladies !

I went and took my level 2 in beauty therapy when I was 17 - at this age I was already adamant that I wanted to have my own beauty room and was giddily excited.

Fast forward to the end of my training and I was diagnosed with ME which had a huge impact on things and I was pretty much housebound for a rather long time . I started getting to a manageable level and by some miraculous pull of fate had triplets when I was 22 ! At a year old - I decided to go back to beauty and take refresher courses in the bits I liked the most ( manicures , pedicures , spray tanning and gel polish) I quickly realised after completing them that it was going to be as easy as I thought with the boys and I couldnt get into the swing of it ( im still blaming the baby brain but it was also a partial relapse)

Scooting forward again - im going on 30, the boys are at school and I really really really want this . A hairdressers local to me has offered me a spot to offer my nail treatments and Im all excited again . But im also terrified that im going to be awful and I already know im not as good as the other therapists local to them as I have neither the confidence or the experience . Im also terrified that Im going to be doing it all wrong ...

Any tips for just getting there. I know I should just take the jump and go for it but what if i do something wrong?? I ask a lot of questions on the nail section on here but I feel like im constantly asking questions I should already know the answer too !

Anyone else been there ? Sorry for the long post!

xx
Just do it..i dodn't go to college untill I was 38..after having 5 kids..I own my own little beauty room..just take your time and do a great job....you will be great and its a great oppertunity..its your time.

It doesn't matter, if you can see it wasn't great that's a good sign you are going to be great isn't it? I'm sure it isn't as bad as you think either. Keep practising! :)

Thanks ladies x

I think where ive not done anything with it for such a long time - I was terrified to touch the cuticle at all !! I did all the prep correctly as I was taught back then and then when I used the cuticle pusher to slide it up the nail it just looked awful !

Will try again today and see what happens !!

Latest posts

Back