Nervous! First set question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamantine

Reaction score
I'm doing my first proper set of nails today. Just on my mum but in still treating it as if she were a "proper" client.

Not sure what we are going to do just yet. Either white tips with pink powder or just a NNO to thicken her natural nail and strengthen it do she gets used to the feeling of acrylic before I do them properly for her cruise next month.

I'll take some pics to post once I'm done but I will be leaving them slightly thicker than I would on anyone else as she us having a nightmare with her eczema and I know personally the thicker my nails were the harder it was to scratch and it broke the cycle for me.

One quick question though. To wash off the cuticle remover I don't want to have to send a client off to wash and dry their hands so is a manicure bowl with warm water and a but of soap a good idea to have so I can get her to pop her hands in to wash it off and I dry and check everything is removed properly?

iv been taught to wash cuticle remover with soapy water in a wee scooshy bottle, you can spray your guests hands over a towel then pat dry.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yeah that's what I was planning on doing but I don't have a bottle! Would the bowl be an ok substitute till I get a bottle?

yeah... i would have thought so.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm doing my first proper set of nails today. Just on my mum but in still treating it as if she were a "proper" client.

Not sure what we are going to do just yet. Either white tips with pink powder or just a NNO to thicken her natural nail and strengthen it do she gets used to the feeling of acrylic before I do them properly for her cruise next month.

I'll take some pics to post once I'm done but I will be leaving them slightly thicker than I would on anyone else as she us having a nightmare with her eczema and I know personally the thicker my nails were the harder it was to scratch and it broke the cycle for me.

One quick question though. To wash off the cuticle remover I don't want to have to send a client off to wash and dry their hands so is a manicure bowl with warm water and a but of soap a good idea to have so I can get her to pop her hands in to wash it off and I dry and check everything is removed properly?

Good luck let us know how you get on ;)

Thanks everyone. She has a couple of nails that grow in a very strange way due to damage so that was interesting.

I started at 9.50 finished about 12.10 so 2.5 hours for my first set is pretty good I think.

She wanted natural tips which I tried to talk her out of due to her nails being slightly yellow because of creams she uses for her eczema but she was adamant.

I'm quite happy overall. There are a couple nails where I haven't blended quite as well as I thought I had and I think I've touched the sidewalls on one or 2 of the nails but time will tell.

There are before and after pics of her and the worst shaped nail. I used a clear pink powder then a coat of opi kiss on the chic.

Yes I did nick her once with the file but it didn't bleed till we had finished and she washed her hands though. And her hands were freezing so it was taking a while to set too.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636812.517790.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636812.517790.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 190
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636832.184700.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636832.184700.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 197
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636845.815463.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636845.815463.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 196
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636856.725290.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1338636856.725290.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 193
Hii was just passing, did you trim off all of the natural nails free edge? I was taught to do this so you dont get a 'stripe' in the tip where you can see the natural nail, can see abit on the pic and wonderin if that was just the colour of the nail plate or the free edge showing through? Just being nosey more than anythiny!

Sent from my GT-I5500 using SalonGeek

I should have filed her natural nails down more. I didn't want to go too far down but I didn't go far enough.

Well my mum had to come back tonight for a repair! Told her she shouldn't have them that long since hers had been quite short but she didn't listen and caught 2 yesterday then pinged one tip right off!

I laughed and told her she should have listened to me!

She let me file them all down and repaired the broken one now she is warned to be more careful and to listen to me in future lol.

I felt quite down when she rang saying one came off but she was doing something with a reclining lounger so I know it wasn't my application.

Latest posts

Back