Nettle Rash After Waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail creations

Reaction score
I waxed a client of mine she is an asian girl on saturday morning she had legs arms and back done.
Anyway when i had finished her back i noticed that she had white bumps that look like a nettle rash at the top of her back.
I put some after wax lotion on and gave some to the client to take home with her. But her mum called to today to say its the same its gone down a bit but still there.
Any advise on to what have happened as this hasnt happened to me before?
She doesnt have any problems normally with waxing its just the top of the back?

I waxed a client of mine she is an asian girl on saturday morning she had legs arms and back done.
Anyway when i had finished her back i noticed that she had white bumps that look like a nettle rash at the top of her back.
I put some after wax lotion on and gave some to the client to take home with her. But her mum called to today to say its the same its gone down a bit but still there.
Any advise on to what have happened as this hasnt happened to me before?
She doesnt have any problems normally with waxing its just the top of the back?
I would say this is a allergic reaction possibly this area is more sensitive.Were you using a perfumed wax t tree or lavender etc rather than just honey wax.You could advise her to take an anti histamine if it is irritating her and if it goes that is the likely cause.Then in future just use honey on her.I did have a similar thing happen once with atea tree wax i used on someones inner thighs.

thanks gill i used the honey wax nothing in it. Everywhere else was fine its just the top of her back.

thanks gill i used the honey wax nothing in it. Everywhere else was fine its just the top of her back.

Did this happen after you waxed her, or was it already there ?

Marlise

My hubbie really suffer from wax rash, it can last for up to 3/4 weeks. He's ok for the first day then it kicks in, it gets so angry. Iv tryed alsorts and still nothing works..! I was told t tree was the best to use but that does the same.

I used to have a male client that had the same reaction all over his back whenever he had it waxed and i was horrified the first time it happened and my manager gave him a 50ml bottle of tea tree body lotion to take home and it cleared up within 24 hours. Everytime he came after that i always used the tea tree wax and he had a very small rash nothing like the first time !

Has your client been using the aftercare product you gave her at home and was it the first time she has had her back waxed ?

I had this reaction on an asian lady when she was pregnant and her skin was more sensitive she found the wax made her itchy and she got the welts on her face and thighs- a histamine response. She didn't have this problem with the same wax before pregnancy. She found cold aloe vera (from the fridge) helped calm it down. I found turning down the wax as low as possible helped slightly too. She decided to keep having the waxing as the reaction only lasted 24hrs.

Unfortunately the upper back and neck are areas very prone to reactions, particularly for a first-time waxee. It sounds like a temporary histamine reaction, which can be further irritated by the friction from clothing in that area, but normally clears up within 24-48 hours.

I run a men's salon and see this quite a bit - some of my clients find that taking an anti-histamine tablet an hour before their treatment helps, and following good aftercare with regards to keeping the area cool, clean and free from friction will also help. Ice (wrapped) or an aloe vera gel are effective ways of cooling and calming the skin at home (an aloe-based, fragrance free aftersun gel will do the job at a push).

Regular appointments usually result in less irritation as the follicle experiences less trauma (less hair/less densely rooted), but unfortunately with backs, necks and chests you can never 100% guarantee how the client will react.

Andy x

Andy, I was going to say exactly the same thing (except for running a male salon).

But to add to what Andy said... Also as something she can to at home would be to use some sort of acne wash. It is antibacterial and should help to clear it up.

Latest posts

Back