Never filed a nail in my life - training!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonic Marie

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I am looking at doing a 2 day course to do gel nails using Le Chat. I have no experience what so ever - never even done a manicure ! Is it realistic to get what I need from a 2 day course and call myself a nail technician ?

Also what is the differnce between gel, tips , acrylics, sculpture etc ? Is one more popular than the other ? Sorry for being so dumb - but I know nothing !

Thanks

Marie

Is it realistic to become a (decent, not even good) gel technician in 2 days? NO, sorry!

If you put any of your key words (especially training) into the search engine, you will have plenty of advice from others who have asked the same question.

Good Luck, I wish you every success:hug:

If they will let you do a 2 day gel nail course without a basic manicure cert then i would question the quality of their training / health and safety .
liz x

I have been a nail tech for almost 2 years now and i am always taking on new courses
no hun 2 days is not enough but it will give you an idea of if it is really for you, then its a case of lots more training,

if you look around they are very good training courses that run for 5 to 6 days but this is over 3 months and you have lots of practising and home work to do in between each day, this is called a foundation course and would give you a good head start
this course is run by the top training company CND
if you want information about their courses ring 0845 210 6060 and ask them to send you a training brochure hth

If they will let you do a 2 day gel nail course without a basic manicure cert then i would question the quality of their training / health and safety .
liz x

Yep

I did a foundation course with CND some 6 years ago, now this course was only 4 days long, though it involved lots of evening homework too, but the course was sufficient to get insurance. The truth is that the real learning starts after you get your certificate and no amount of training can replace practise. It is practise, practise, practise and maybe then you can class yourself as good, but the basics of health and safety and the anatomy of the nail need to be covered and I find it hard to imagine that all that could be covered in 2 days. As I say I did in in 4 days and I felt like my head was spinning then, 2 I would say is near on impossible.

Hi Geeks,

I am looking at doing a 2 day course to do gel nails using Le Chat. I have no experience what so ever - never even done a manicure ! Is it realistic to get what I need from a 2 day course and call myself a nail technician ?

Also what is the differnce between gel, tips , acrylics, sculpture etc ? Is one more popular than the other ? Sorry for being so dumb - but I know nothing !

Thanks

Marie

Hiya, I can't comment on Le Chat because I have no experience of them so no idea what the course will be like. Is it 2 days over a few weeks or just 2 straight days? Im sure it will give you a basic understanding of your chosen system, but also you'll need to follow it up with loads of practice!

I would recommend you do some reading before you go on the course so you are armed with some knowledge before you go. I have the book 'The Complete Nail Technician' by Marian Newman (among a few!) but I really recommend this book, it covers all the systems and also natural nail care and pedicures and to be honest it has given me more relevant information than my tutor at college did! But thats another story ha ha!

HTH - x

Latest posts

Back