Never had a good nail day!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda1977

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there who feels that they have never done a good set of nails, i have been in nails for nearly two years but don't feel like i am quite grasping it, was thinking about going to creative and doing some training with them to see if i could improve, but my heart just doesn't seem to be in it at the moment, has anyone else had phases like this? :cry:

hi hun and welcome to the site....first of all...have you done a nail course yet??? you have nothing on your profile to say yes or no.....

yes i did a gel course with IBD in 2006

maybe you need a 1 to 1 course just to give you confidence in your work hun.....we all have bad days but not every day!!!!....xxx have a big :hug: to make you feel better xx

hiya :)

are your clients happy hun, what i mean is, is it as bad as you think, or maybe your just being too crictical of your work,

have you got any pics to show , cos some of the geeks would be able to offer some advice i'm sure

as sj said, a 1-2-1 would be ideal as it would let you work on the parts your really not happy with

saying that , i dont think you could go wrong with a creative course, from what ive heard, maybe do a conversion then have some 1-2-1's and see how it goes from there hun

hths xxxx

i think we have all been there at some point

what is it that you are unhappy with?

has anyone else had phases like this? :cry:

You are not alone amanda, I trained in 2005 and have never done a decent set despite practice practice practice. I now have decided that I maybe won't offer enhancements any more and stick to what I am good at.

Amanda, I think we all go through this and as said before, I think doing a training course or a one to one will give you the inspiration that you need. Whenever I do training it really inspires me, I am really looking forward to doing more this year. :)

Hello,
Unfortunately in this business we learn enough to get us out of school. I have spent hundreds of dollars in order to improve my skills. I read everything written. (nails, nail pro, ect) Take every manufacturers courses offered. Prctce on a prctice sheet to get consistancy right. Buy videos or cds from the manufacturers. Tammy Taylor, Young Nails, NSI all have some great ones. Also post a need for a mentor on Beautytech.com. someone might be willing to help you improve your skills, Even though I educate as well I do get burnt out and going to a trade show a class or talking to another Nail Artist can help. Don't give up once it all clicks you will love this profession. We have the best jobs in the world we get paid to socialize and make our clients look and feel good. Hang in there.

Don't get discouraged. It takes time to build up confidence. When I first started I did all my friends and family for free, but the deal was they had to let me give them a fill every two weeks and no longer. I also bought all the Tammy Taylor nail instruction videos and watched them over and over and over again. I even went to every good nail tech in town to get fills so I could watch them work. If you want this, you can get it. Just practice your butt off :green:

I remember when I hit that stage in my career. I was thinking that I should toss my acrylic brush and don a blue smock and work at wal-mart.

What I did was went to a trade show and networked with other techs. I played around with different product lines, I learned more about our industry and I also had my work critiqued by a wonderful new friend who is also a competition judge.

From there I learned to better myself as a person as well as a nail tech, and to also perfect my nails.

Joining a forum like this one is a great step in the right direction. Find friends here and network with them. Have them HONESTLY critique your work, take the criticism with pride and begin to love Nails again!

Nails isn't for everyone and not everyone can do them..... no harm in that.

Try doing a one on one, see how you feel, then make an executive decision, stick at it, or give it up and find something more rewarding and less frustrating.

Latest posts

Back