New and a little disappointed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn_pops

Reaction score
Hello there.

I,m a new nail tech, I have learn doing acrylic nails viewing youtube vids, taking nail course (those of learn in 3 days), and doing all my learning in my own nails. Well, I started doing nails 1 month ago to a few clients.My journey doing nails hasn,t been very easily for me.

My first client was an extreme bitten nails, I did acrylic sculpt to her and 3 days later, 2 acrylic nails chop off completely from her nails, 2 days later 3 of them chop off. It was a very bad new experience for me, but I did continue doing nails to other people.

I had done like 12 clients already, they don,t have any acrylic lifting, no tip breaking, no bubbles, nothing. But they never call me back again to do any refill which worries me :Scared:

I had 2 clients last week, I did white tip acrylic on their nails, they both were disappointed. One of them sent me a SMS telling me her acrylic nails looked fat and ugly and that she would never return again to me, and the other one call me 3 days after I did the french white tip acrylic nails to her, to tell me she bite off all the acrylic I did to her because they were fat and ugly and that she wants all her money refunded, I told her I can do again the french nails sculpted this time instead of with white tip, but she refuse and told me she wants her money back and that it is my fault that her nails are hurting right now and bleeding.

I,m new in this, and I am a little disappointed I want to continue doing nails, but I,m kind of scared now since lots of my clients seems like they don,t like the way the nail looks.

The only good thing, is that none of the nails I,ve done after 3 weeks no lifting, no break, no nothing...but still none of the clients want to refill or anything.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to shared my experience hoping to see if any of you when you started doing nails went to the same bad experience as I.

Hi and welcome to Salon Geek! :biggrin:

We all learn from experiences and don't be too hard on yourself, you've only just started.

The best thing to do is to take on board the feedback from your clients...if they're not happy because the nails are too thick...make them thinner etc.

Maybe call your educator and perhaps ask for some advice and maybe a bit more training. You can watch youtube videos, but it will never beat proper education.

Perhaps do models to practice for the time being to build up some skill and confidence before doing full paying clients?

Good luck! x

Thanks MummyCat for your reply.

Is a long journey, and I know what's the problem is with the "fat and ugly" nail, are the white tips. No matter how much I filed or trimmed them, they always look fat on client nails, if I do acrylic nails using transparent or natural tips I don,t get any complaint at all, but when I use white tips clients like put bad face.

I,m going to continue this journey, but I am not using white tips anymore on any new client that appears. If some new client wants french acrylic, I prefer to put natural or transparent tip and manicure the french over it before I put the clear acrylic, that will be better.

Thanks in advanced for your help, I do need to learn a lot more I know, experience, feedback and practice without doubt will help in my learning.

Bienviendo!
Creo que tienes que practicar mucho pero si puedes hacer un concurso mejor.

Hi hope my spanish is ok , keep practising but try an enrol on a better training course if you can

Buena suerte !

Thanks Rinn

Seems like your spanish is better than my english :wink2:

I did took 3 courses 3 months ago, but were those cheap ones that last like 3 or 4 days, very incomplete I can say, even professionals on youtube videos explain better than the 3 courses I took :rolleyes:

What disheartened me recently was my last client, she bite off the french acrylic nails I did to her, just because she didn,t like the way they looked. 3 days ago we had agree to met tomorrow so I could remove the acrylic nails for free, and today she had call me telling me that she wants a full refund since she bite off the acrylic nails since she didn,t like it and couldn,t wait any longer....she was very agresive at her talk, I even told her that we had agree tomorrow I was going to remove it for free, but she insist that wants her money back, and that all the pain and bleeding she is having now is my fault.

If you offered to remove them safely and the correct way and she "chose" to remove them the incorrect way by her teeth, causing damage, pain and bleeding to her nails, then I'm sorry that is her fault and her responsibility, NOT yours, she did this and didn't wait, so No do not give a refund, you tried to help and she chose not to take it.

You do not owe her anything.

I was going to remove it the "correct" way using acetone and cotton on her nails, but I don,t know why if we had agree to do it tomorrow she got desperate and bite off all the nails and now according to her she is bleeding and is painful.

I know is not my fault, I,m gonna give her the refund because as far as I know she is on psychiatrist and taking lots of mental pills or something like that, I wouldn,t like to have pending things with someone like that if you know what I mean...is scary.

In the other hand, I,m happy she decide to cancel our meeting tomorrow, since right now I got 2 calls from 2 girls I did acrylic nails 2 weeks ago, and they both want a refill for tomorrow, of course paying :) so, I,m glad I,m not going to waste my time with a non-paying customer.

Practice, practice, practice and if you can, practice on a friend or family member that is going to tell you the truth on how they look and how long they last ect only then can you learn from your mistakes x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

¡Hola! Corn_Pops!

The answer is that many of us had moments of crisis when we first started ... Nails are a skilled job and skill takes time.

Your issues sound more estheic ones rather than that you are doing any thing wrong. Creating beauty takes an artistic talent, an 'eye' to see the end result as you are creating it, an ability to build the correct three dimentional structure of the nail, and dexterity when using a brush and a file to achieve a natural-looking result .... all that does not happen over night. :hug:

Anyone can throw lumps of product on top of a natural nail and and say they do nails, but making it all look natural, and not fake, is the key to everything and particularly client satisfaction as well as your own.

A copy of my book, 'nailclass' by gigi rouse might help you hugely with brush and file technique; it is available from Disinfectants & salon hygiene products to prevent spread of disease. - mundo professional - for a healthy environment (they send all over the worls and the price is very reasonable) and if you request it, it is also available in Spanish. xx

Last edited:
Thanks for reply geeg.

Indeed, my current problem relies on 'esthetic' instead of doing something wrong. The funny thing is, when I do my own acrylic nails they look so natural and real that nobody believes they're acrylic, but when I do acrylic nails to someone else I feel the rush of 'try to do it in less than 2 hours' and that's why I still can't do the natural looking nails to client as I do to myself, since when I do acrylic to myself I don,t care about how many time I take and I don,t feel any rush, unfortunately with a client I can,t delay to much, so results with white tips isn't very cute at all.

But as you already said, natural looking results and timing doesn,t come overnight. :green:

I had this problem were i worked before and really knocked my confidence and i found that it was because i was using white tips from ebay ,i was not filing the nail properly and my acrylic application was wrong.I had to do a further day course to help me. I still have a long way to go to bend out of bad habits. But having tried on myself i am now seeing an improvement i just hope it will be the same for my clients:).Try pinching your free edge with a pinching tool. And try pro impression tips well less advance white they work for me :) Stay away from white tips from ebay. If your using colored tips and made a mistake by buying them from ebay without doing your research first like i did slightly pinch the tips before acrylic application blend your tips using a file .And pinch again after acrylic application. i hope this helps :)Do not be afraid to speak to your educators get the skills for them

Last edited:
Thanks for reply geeg.

Indeed, my current problem relies on 'esthetic' instead of doing something wrong. The funny thing is, when I do my own acrylic nails they look so natural and real that nobody believes they're acrylic, but when I do acrylic nails to someone else I feel the rush of 'try to do it in less than 2 hours' and that's why I still can't do the natural looking nails to client as I do to myself, since when I do acrylic to myself I don,t care about how many time I take and I don,t feel any rush, unfortunately with a client I can,t delay to much, so results with white tips isn't very cute at all.

But as you already said, natural looking results and timing doesn,t come overnight. :green:

That is the same with me i hate working anywhere that loves the money but do not care about the quality of nails being applied

I've had confidence knocks as well- for me it was just one client who did nothing but moan throughout the whole treatment and then moaned when u was finished and when is refused to accept her money she moaned even more! I've had some clients re book, others don't now I'm getting more confident they are coming back more and more! I charged low prices in the beginning so I wouldn't feel bad if they weren't perfect.
As others have said practice makes perfect, I'm doing further 1:1 nsi training on top of my nvq to perfect my acrylic skills, then I'm going to do the CND gel course to perfect my gels! Never stop investing in your learning is my motto!
As for the client who bit off her nails- that was her choice as you offered a solution and she went against it!! X

Thanks beutybemine.

Yes, I am using cheap white tips not from Ebay, but cheap and the same quality I guess (you know, those chinese tips). What I am doing right now, and seems to work, is using transparent or natural tips, and I put white acrylic manually to paint the smile or I just use white polish to paint the french smile before I encapsulated all with clear acrylic. I know is a weird way of doing french acrylics, but at least the final results are more prettier and natural looking than using cheap white tips that are huge and with full well :irked:...didn,t think about the pinch tool, now that you mention it I should give it a try, I usually pinch when I sculpt but never on tips.

I don't use pre-designed tips, at least nobody yet has asked for it, but in case someday someone will, thanks for the advice of using buffing block instead of a file. I get lots of design request, but I do it by hand, I don,t like too much the stamp or stickers.

There some beauty supply near to my home where I had saw white tips from NSI (Are pro impression tips from NSI?), I haven't buy it though because I have lose hope in white tips, but if you guys say it worth the try, I probably give NSI white tips a try and buy them.

I wish I had NSI courses around my area, but as far as I know I haven,t read or heard any NSI course in Chile. The only professional company that offers intensive nail training is Organic Nails, and is an intensive of 1 day for already professionals nail tech (and I,m still so newbie to take it).

I know investing in learning is not a money waste, I had already waste money taking those learn-fast course nails that teach you everything in 3 days, I regret it, I had learn more viewing youtube vids from naio or young nails than the 3 days wasted money courses I took. But I needed to start somewhere, so that's why I took those cheap training.

Right now my main step is how to do natural looking nails like I do to myself, but on a client and in less than 2 hours...is hard since as a newbie you can do a good cute work but it will take like 3 or 4 hours, and trying to do a work in less time like a professional will, for a newbie like me implies leaving nails with a fake look.

Thanks beutybemine.

Yes, I am using cheap white tips not from Ebay, but cheap and the same quality I guess (you know, those chinese tips). What I am doing right now, and seems to work, is using transparent or natural tips, and I put white acrylic manually to paint the smile or I just use white polish to paint the french smile before I encapsulated all with clear acrylic. I know is a weird way of doing french acrylics, but at least the final results are more prettier and natural looking than using cheap white tips that are huge and with full well :irked:...didn,t think about the pinch tool, now that you mention it I should give it a try, I usually pinch when I sculpt but never on tips.

I don't use pre-designed tips, at least nobody yet has asked for it, but in case someday someone will, thanks for the advice of using buffing block instead of a file. I get lots of design request, but I do it by hand, I don,t like too much the stamp or stickers.

There some beauty supply near to my home where I had saw white tips from NSI (Are pro impression tips from NSI?), I haven't buy it though because I have lose hope in white tips, but if you guys say it worth the try, I probably give NSI white tips a try and buy them.

Nsi tips are very good too i want some those.Well with my cheap tips i use just clear acrylic a large bead in zone 1 and blend using my brush, zone 2 i use a medium bead of clear and brush down towards free edge and zone 3 i use a very small bead of clear or transparent pink :lol: I do not use cover pink acrylic with cheap tips either not enough space between the tip and the nail bed if you try it you end up with a lumpy nails. I find i can only use cover pink with my pro impression tips or tips of a higher quality

Last edited:
Thanks beutybemine.

Pro impression tips are not from Nsi. Nsi are different brand

The main complaint of my few clients with cheap white tips were precisely the little space left between the tip and the nail bed, it didn,t look very estethic at all, so since I don,t have cover pink acrylic powder (being searching for one since like 1 month) I had only found pink rose powder acrylic from supernail and is so clear that looks the same as clear acrylic. So when I put transparent tip on someone nail, I need to manicure it with pink polish and after paint the white smile line in zone 1 and after the polish is dry I buffed a little to remove any wawy lines we get when using the polish brush, and after that I put clear acrylic over the entire nail to later file it...I know is not the correct way to do it, and I,m having my finger crossed hoping I don,t get any call complaning about lifting.
But this way, I can extend the nail bed so the final results aren,t so fake and ugly.

The main complaint of my few clients with cheap white tips were precisely the little space left between the tip and the nail bed, it didn,t look very estethic at all, so since I don,t have cover pink acrylic powder (being searching for one since like 1 month) I had only found pink rose powder acrylic from supernail and is so clear that looks the same as clear acrylic. So when I put transparent tip on someone nail, I need to manicure it with pink polish and after paint the white smile line in zone 1 and after the polish is dry I buffed a little to remove any wawy lines we get when using the polish brush, and after that I put clear acrylic over the entire nail to later file it...I know is not the correct way to do it, and I,m having my finger crossed hoping I don,t get any call complaning about lifting.
But this way, I can extend the nail bed so the final results aren,t so fake and ugly.

You can't put acrylic over the top of polish it goes yellow. If anything just do clear acrylic and then manicure on the white afterwards!!

Why you would apply acrylic twice it doesnt make sense to me .If your using a clear tip with either clear acrylic or transparant you would only apply acrylic once in 3 zones Paint dry and finish you would not put acrylic over your paint job I would advice some training try crystal nails

Latest posts

Back