New and file question - what grits etc?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nash

Reaction score
Hello Geekers,

I am new to the nail world. I have finished school and have my license. I have been reading the forum for weeks now. You all seem very nice and have lots of knowledge. I have to admit that I am a little jealous that I don’t live closer to a lot of you.

I need help with understanding the files we use on acrylics. I have tons of files and can’t seem to figure out which ones to use when. I have some files from a store called Sunrise and then I have one OPI file, the Leveler and Creative but I get so confused as when to use which ones. If someone could direct me to just a few to use that would be so helpful. I have a gray file that is curved and on the side it say Design Nail 100/180 but I can’t tell by feeling it which side is 100 and which side is 180. I have the OPI Leveler. I have the file & buffer sampler by creative which has the smoothie file, hot shot file, blizzard file, outblack padded file, kanga file, boomerang padded file, boomerang file, koala buffer, natural nail buffer (I get the use of this one), girlfriend buffer, glossing buffer (I get the use of this one), and the glossing block which I also get the use of that one. The rest I am clueless as when to use them. The come with descriptions but that does not seem to be helping me much.

After I put the oil one at the end I can see scratches that the files have left behind. What is a great way to get rid of those?

I would love a mentor. Not sure how that would work online but would anyone be willing to mentor me? As you can probably tell I am not real thrilled with my nail education. I do plan on tons of more education.

Glad to meet all of you and looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Nash

Hi Nash, welcome to the board!
First, do you use an E-File? That might help us understand why you have SO MANY files.
I do use an electric file so I can get away with using just a regular 100 Grit file. I buy them at Sally Beauty Supply. I also use gel so I don't have to worry about scratches.
But I had a great bit for the E-file when I did acrylic. I used a fine sanding band and the a bit that was almost smooth to finish up, with oil of course. Then I would take a fine buffer block to them, have your client wash and put on a top coat. ( I like Out The Door or CND Air Dry)
I am sure anyone here would love to mentor you. I, personally, think you learn WAY more out of school that you do in school. So, if you can, go sit and watch someone do great nails. It will help you out tremendously!
Glad you found us!!

Hi Nash, welcome to the board!
First, do you use an E-File? That might help us understand why you have SO MANY files.
I do use an electric file so I can get away with using just a regular 100 Grit file. I buy them at Sally Beauty Supply. I also use gel so I don't have to worry about scratches.
But I had a great bit for the E-file when I did acrylic. I used a fine sanding band and the a bit that was almost smooth to finish up, with oil of course. Then I would take a fine buffer block to them, have your client wash and put on a top coat. ( I like Out The Door or CND Air Dry)
I am sure anyone here would love to mentor you. I, personally, think you learn WAY more out of school that you do in school. So, if you can, go sit and watch someone do great nails. It will help you out tremendously!
Glad you found us!!

Thank you for your reply. I do have an E-File (I wish I had'nt bought it yet) but I won't use it on anyone as I don't feel I had adequate training in it. I would love to learn how to do it all with files first.

I would love to watch someone do nails. However, I don't know anyone here who does nails. I am a perfectionist and I want to learn to do it the right way. From what I have seen from some of the shops here that I have walked through I am leery of asking any questions.

Nash

Firstly, hi and welcome ! It is a great site.

Basically, the lower the grit, the rougher the file will feel. A 100 grit should feel distinctly rougher than a 180. Never use lower than a 240 grit on a natural nail. Basically the rough grits (lower numbers) remove more product (although its not a good idea to go too low because it may disturb the already cured acrylic product and lead to service breakdown, ie cracking/breaking, which obviously you don't want), the higher ones are more for refining shape and removing scratches, with you graduating up through the grades of grit and subsequently removing the scratches made previously, and finishing (probably) with a 3-way buffer which removes no product just brings up the shine, usually in a black, white then grey order

If you want to watch someone do nails, Nailzoo on here has a website and you can watch videos of various different things, from preps to full french etc. hth xxx

You're so welcome, you'll be on that site all night :lol:

You're so welcome, you'll be on that site all night :lol:

ROTFL yes I see that. This site looks great. Glad I don't have anywhere to go today.

Btw, thank you both for the warm welcome.

Nash

welcome to our geeky gang nash.....blossom is right...you wont be of here all night now!!!!!! its fab on here tutorials....help with nails family life...everything...so once again,welcome hun and enjoy !!:hug:xx

Basically........

On fresh product (new full set) never use anything lower than 180

shape your freshly applied nail with a 180 - if your application is still a little lumpy - or refine the shape with a 240 - if your application is pretty much spot on.

I then go on to use a gold block or any of the sanitisable buffing blocks out there to remove most of the scratches

then i use my CND kola (1200) with some oil and buff off any and all remaining scratches

I then use a G/F or my personal fav the CND glossing block (but u must remove all oil off the nail first with a hand towel because oil is the death of these buffers)

and thats it! mirror finish :)

So out of all those files you have I pretty much only use 3 (+ my gold block so 4)

240 to refine
gold block to pre-buff
1200 (smooth side of kola) + oil
G/F or Glosser :)

On Kupas website there are video tut's that can help you get familiar with your efile. Kupa Inc. - Home Page....

Keep in mind every nail line (OPI,CND,EZ Flow etc...) will all have different names for their files and buffers what matters is not the name but the grit. Like previously explained. When it comes to buffers know how they work best. What I mean is some buffers need cuticle oil applied and buff some require a dry buff no oil buff nail when done apply cuticle oil.

Always down grade your files like also already stated say if you go from a 100 (course) to a 240 (very fine buffing file) you will still see scratches. Go down in the numbers. If you do not have any bulk to take out you can just buff it and shine.

Hope that helps.... and welcome to the site... if you do a search you will find a lot of info that may be very helpful there is a lot info here.

Just to add some more confusion to your pot.....

I would say never use a 100 grit file on the surface of your finished enhancements......you'll be there forever and a day trying to get those scratches out!

Just to add some more confusion to your pot.....

I would say never use a 100 grit file on the surface of your finished enhancements......you'll be there forever and a day trying to get those scratches out!

Sorry bad example.. yes a 100 is more for removing bulk before soak off and shortening length

Sorry bad example.. yes a 100 is more for removing bulk before soak off and shortening length
Use it for de-bulking in rebalance also because the scratches will be filled with new product anyways!

Thank you to sj, Classy Claws, becca boo, and Cathie for the warm welcome. I know I will love it here. You all have been great.

I see I have some home work that will keep me busy for a bit :)
Tomorrow is another day. I will watch the videos in the morning.

I am not feeling so freaked out about the files now.

Again, thank you all.

Nash

Latest posts

Back