New at 3D nailart

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talented talons

Master Artist
Reaction score
Hi fellow Geeks, i've now got my EZ Flow kit with some coloured powders so i am ready to play, but it occured to me, what do you do with the tip to begin with? Do i have to use a base coat of nail varnish, or L&P or something else?? I want to start with some simple things so wasn't sure how its best to start.

So need to know how to prepare the nail,
Do i just do design straight on the nail or on a plastic sheet.
If you do the design seperate what do you use to stick it on the nail.

Sorry for the string of questions, but thankyou in advance for any tips you are able to give me, i'm chomping at the bit to try it out but want to start the correct way.:)

talented talons said:
Hi fellow Geeks, i've now got my EZ Flow kit with some coloured powders so i am ready to play, but it occured to me, what do you do with the tip to begin with? Do i have to use a base coat of nail varnish, or L&P or something else?? I want to start with some simple things so wasn't sure how its best to start.

So need to know how to prepare the nail,
Do i just do design straight on the nail or on a plastic sheet.
If you do the design seperate what do you use to stick it on the nail.

Sorry for the string of questions, but thankyou in advance for any tips you are able to give me, i'm chomping at the bit to try it out but want to start the correct way.:)

Oh you should have hours of fun with these powders :cool: Right you can either do flat encased designs or raised 3D, For 3D depending on what you want to do,for a small flower you can simply do this straight onto the nail, For more detailed larger designs i make the pieces on a plastic sheet and then glue onto the nail with resin. You can do a p&w nail and then add some 3D onto it, The possibilities are endless, Just have a play around with them ;)
The only thing i would say is that you do have to have your ratio a bit drier for 3d work. Have fun and post some pics when youve done some ;)

another idea is to build them on a form but I find working straight onto the nail the easiest way :)

:?: When making flowers such as roses, do you let each petal dry completely before placing another? I tried on a friend and we are still laughing at the globs. Our reply when asked what they were ... it's a hybrid rose, it just hasn't blossomed yet. I realize it will take practice, but any tips from the experienced will help:)

If you want a bas ecolour on the nail can you do coloured acrylic on the nail as a base then put flowers on say for instance?? I also love the bows that i saw on here but wouldn't know how to do them, are there any tips to how to sart on doing quite detailed 3D art??

talented talons said:
If you want a bas ecolour on the nail can you do coloured acrylic on the nail as a base then put flowers on say for instance?? I also love the bows that i saw on here but wouldn't know how to do them, are there any tips to how to sart on doing quite detailed 3D art??

Yes you can apply coloured acrylic as a base colour, Or a airbrushed design.
To do detailed work (say veins on leaves) I make the piece and then when half set, i will add the detail (cocktail sticks are fab for drawing lines etc)
Hths

Jeni Giles said:
:?: When making flowers such as roses, do you let each petal dry completely before placing another? I tried on a friend and we are still laughing at the globs. Our reply when asked what they were ... it's a hybrid rose, it just hasn't blossomed yet. I realize it will take practice, but any tips from the experienced will help:)
Speaking as somebody who's never done anything 3D in her life, if you wait for the petals to dry completely, what do you use to stick them together on the nail?

Carole Lindsay said:
Speaking as somebody who's never done anything 3D in her life, if you wait for the petals to dry completely, what do you use to stick them together on the nail?

You use resin Carole ;)
I have a tutorial on here for making a 3d rose.(check it out)

lesley1965 said:
You use resin Carole ;)
I have a tutorial on here for making a 3d rose.(check it out)
Hi Lesley: I think it must be a premium geek tutorial coz its not under tutorial section. Maybe if you have time you could send it to me at my email address which is [email protected] - it would be very appreciated. On Tuesday I'm seeing Wendy (Talented Talons) who started this post so i could give a copy to her also :)

I am going to have a go at the 3D rose hopefully soon so will post a pic if its okay.....lol. Thanks for the tip about the cocktail sticks i never thought of using that for fine detail, cheers Lesley.

Well guys here they are, my first attempt at 3D nail properly. I am limited with my designs at the moment as only have a couple of colours but i'm definately getting more.

Thanks to Lesley who has given me lots of tips, especially the cocktail stick one, great idea. Also Linag for her inspiration as well.

19151st_3D_flowerbutterfly.JPG

As i said to you last night, Wendy, when i said that if you didnt post them on the site i would, they are absolutely fantastic!! If that's what you produce first time what's gonna happen with experience and some tutorials???? Go girl!

Have you removed the pic Wendy ?
I cant see it, Have been into the photo gallery and although it shows you have posted a photo, It is just blank.

lesley1965 said:
Have you removed the pic Wendy ?
I cant see it, Have been into the photo gallery and although it shows you have posted a photo, It is just blank.
I can see the pic on the post here and in the gallery - can you not see it Lesley?

I have checked on mine and it shows, on this thread and in my gallery too, i don't know why you can't see it??

talented talons said:
I have checked on mine and it shows, on this thread and in my gallery too, i don't know why you can't see it??

Well sure my eyes aren't that bad, I still cant see it Lol
Could any other geeks tell me if they can see the pic or not.
Thanks

lesley1965 said:
Well sure my eyes aren't that bad, I still cant see it Lol
Could any other geeks tell me if they can see the pic or not.
Thanks
.... the plot thickens! How weird is this???? Maybe Wendy and I are so in tune with each other that we can see each other's stuff even if it isnt really there, lol.

For 1st timers they are fab. I can see them on here, haven't looked in the gallery though. Very well done.

Carole Lindsay said:
.... the plot thickens! How weird is this???? Maybe Wendy and I are so in tune with each other that we can see each other's stuff even if it isnt really there, lol.

Lol Lol Well i am getting a complex now, Because i still cant see them :cry:
Never happened to me before, Will have a word with my hubby he'll probably know why.

it is right here in front of me lesley, maybe you have a little pc problem ?

Latest posts

Back