New at acrylics and need help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabethew1

Reaction score
Hi at the grand old age of 31 I decided to go back to college part time and gain qualifications in nail technology. I’ve gained my VTCT in level 2 manicure and have just started level 3 in nail technology - applying acrylics.
I’m struggling with the cutting the tips. I’m practicing on my mother, she’s never had acrylics before. I’m loosing my confidence atm. Does anyone have any tips on cutting the tips? Thanks

Do you not have a tip cutter tool?

Yes I have a nail cutter tool. However my mother is saying it hurts and pressure on her nails when I cut. I’m following all the methods I’ve been taught

The cutter should be arched fo fit the C curve of the tip so I’m not sure how it’s putting pressure on the natural nail.

Yes I have a nail cutter tool. However my mother is saying it hurts and pressure on her nails when I cut. I’m following all the methods I’ve been taught

Maybe your angling the tip cutter upwards slightly without realising, which could be putting undue pressure on the stress area, which could feel like your trying to pull the tip off!
Try getting your Mum to put her elbow on the table and dropping her wrist, so her fingers are pointing downwards (hopefully that makes sense to you) I then hold the finger I’m working on between my index and middle (like you would if you were holding a cigarette, can’t think of a better example!) to support then cut the tip with your other hand. I hope that makes sense and helps a little!

thank you very much. this does make sense, she's never worn acrylics either so we're at loggerheads try to practice and it's ruining my confidence two weeks into the course lol I've been watching various youtube videos - Kirsty Meakin etc to try another method or see where I'm going wrong but will definitely try your method.

And the most important thing is your client keeps their hand relaxed! If she isn’t and is subconsciously pulling away from you (which they all do!) this can make your job much harder and also cause you to put extra pressure on, pulling her back towards you! This is one of my pet hates!!!! I I had a £1 for every time I have to say “RELAX YOUR HAND!” I’d be a millionaire! Good luck keep at it!!! [emoji847]

Thank you so much. It’s advice like this I need My confidence is not the best so this has perked me up a bit. I’ve always had sculpted nails so tips are a mid field for me.

Honestly....keep at it!! A good nail tech makes things look effortless (which it is not!!) which gives people a false impression that “doing nails is easy!” And then they get disheartened that it’s hard or they just can’t seem to get it! A lot of us have been in the business A LONG TIME & have worked hard, putting in long hours to perfect our technique! So although success won’t come over night and it won’t be easy...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE AND DONT GIVE UP!! [emoji813]️[emoji1387]

thank you so much :) I know I won't be an expert when I've passed and it takes practice to get to a decent level. I think I was having a down day - not be able to cut the tips makes me feel silly, haven't even started the acrylic application yet! wish me luck lol

Good luck! Keep at it! We all have to start somewhere! X

To add to this advice.. maybe try someone younger as I find older ladies have thinner skin, bones and nails! So are more Proan to pain! So I’d say cut a bit in advance before putting on the nails & use the cutter & maybe try another model !

Thanks for this. Unfortunately due to various reasons I’ve only got my mother to practice on other than the college class. I’ll bare this in mind though. Any advice is taken onboard.

I’ve always hated those cutters that chop it off in one go. Ive used toenail clippers for years, go in and cut from one side, go in from the other side and twist off sharply to break the teeny middle bit if there is any.
I’m sure your mum will find this much more comfortable. X
Ps my mum was my model too bless her, I didn’t have anyone else like you. Nice to just sit and chat and it’s more relaxed. Don’t worry you’ll get there. Remember every nail tech in the world started like you. There wasn’t even the internet when I started. Don’t worry about how long anything takes you. Just concentrate on doing as good a job as you can. When you’re properly in the swing of it you’ll speed up naturally. x

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the advice. I work full time in an office and this is part time evening course once a week in my local college. I think I felt out of my depth as the other ladies all work in salons - doing acrylics not qualified kind. I just need to practice more - to think I thought nails would be easy. How people do these 2 day courses I don’t know lol

Latest posts

Back