New business advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuartW

Reaction score
After a number of weeks my wifes business just isnt producing enough. The issue is building a client base. Not enough clients to make a living or indeed to make it all worthwhile.

The business is based outside Glasgow (10 miles). The work area is rented space which has waxing and skin care on offer. One problem is there is nothing to indicate nail services are available. This lack of visibility is not helping.

My wife is a recent arrival from USA and has 20+ years in the business. The UK business seems to differ greatly from the US.

Question is does she continue? If so, how do we increase the client base? Advertising right now is only Facebook.

The other option is to go get a job in a spa (in Glasgow). She recently had a skills test and interview. The outcome was the tester/interviewer was amazed at her ability/experience/knowledge of the nail business. The fear now is she may be over qualified to be employed.

This whole scenario is causing great angst.

I know this is a very long post however, any advice on a way to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi
It’s always tough when you’re starting out somewhere new. Here’s a few points to consider:
Is the client base growing?
What’s the local market like? Are you in a busy place?
FB adverts have their place but leaflet and local advert targeting may be better at this stage?
Have you tried any promotions yet to get new clients in?
Do you have a referral scheme for existing clients?

Good luck!

I am wondering how one would be 'over qualified' to work within a spa/salon? It is my experience that applicants often aren't experienced enough...

Last edited:
The industry is very different compared to the US but what I will say is it takes a long time to build a clientele. How many weeks she actually been running?

I come from a marketing point of view so please take this as constructive criticism and not me being an arse :)

• Facebook brings in low-end clients as a general rule. Get leaflets done and get your trainers on. Pay for decent leaflets, it's the first impression and it matters.
• I had a peek at your wifes facebook page. No logo/branding. You need to set yourself up as looking as professional as her experience/work is :)
• The business name 'nails by...' thousands of people are like this. I'd think of a unique business name and get a logo done as per above recommendation.
• If budget allows, pay for a professional website (that's what I do - penguinmedia.co.uk).
• Nothing wrong with working part-time in a spa while building the business :)

Thank you all for your advice and giving the benefit of your experience.

We will consider all the points made and with a bit of luck things will begin to improve.

Much appreciated.

Thank you.

delete

Last edited:
Hi Stuart,

When you say advertising on Facebook, what do you mean?

My partner and I grew very quickly using paid Facebook Ads, and her service was waxing also.

Some strong suggestions:

1. Niche. Only offer one service. Google the importance of niching. Without it, growth is very slow! If your wife insists on offering more than just waxing, I would highly encourage only marketing one service. What happens is people's advertisements become way too much: "Acme salon offering service 1, service 2, service 3, service 4." It looks desperate, it's not relevant to most people, and most people are looking for the expert. If you stick to one service, you become known as the expert.

2. Online booking software. I use setmore...it's 100% free.

3. Facebook Ads manager. Experiment. What worked for my partner and I is just the same symbol you see on the women's bathroom sign. We colored it pink, and we put "Waxing [in her city]." That's it! But, it took us a while to figure out that's what worked. First we had a photo of her salon. Then we had a photo of her. We had a bunch of different types of ad copy. Who would have guessed, the most effective one was Waxing + Her city and a women symbol? She grew from 21 to 38 clients in the first month of this. And was up to 150 clients in 8 months. Never more than $200/month and we haven't advertised since.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your advice and experience. It is most useful.

My wife has found a new location within an upmarket leisure facility and hopes this will do wonders.

Will continue to advertise and see how it all pans out

delete

Last edited:
Anytime!

A new location sounds very hopeful!

Moved to the new location and the improvement in the volume of business is massive! Very encouraging.

Given the issues experienced previously re lack of signage indicating what was going on in that building, the irony is this new location doesnt need anything more than an A Board sign to show a nail tech is on site. The footfall from those attending the many different activities eg, gym, swimming pool, sauna etc (there is even a plastic surgery presence) - not to mention the hairdressing - means the board is sufficient. Even wondering if Facebook is a requirement....but this will remain alive for now.

Thanks again for the encouragement in all the replies.

Latest posts

Back