New Business: I need help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monroe

Reaction score
I need help from you guys i'am looking into starting my own buisness but really does't know what it intails? i have briefly looked into cost per month but ive been out of the game for 4 years and i don't know whats new!!! please can anyone help!!!!!

I think we need more details before we can help.

What kind of business, Nails & Beauty ?
Mobile or Salon based?
Home Salon or renting space in Beauty/Hair/Other Salon?

mostly beauty with the basic nail, massage,facials eye work and pedicures it would be salon based and having my own salon (not sharing)

Have you looked into the new Gel polishes that are classed as 14 day manicures ?
A very popular treatment that entices new clients into a salon.
Shellac the CND product is not a gel but a 'power polish' and cures under the CND lamp so no smudging and lasts 14 days.
I use Gelish which is a gel polish and has a huge range of colours and cures under a 36 watt UV lamp or a new LED (faster cure) lamp.
There is loads of info on all the gel polish ranges on here, just put gel polish or Shellac or Lamp into the search facility, and you will be reading for hours :eek:

I only do nails so maybe a skin geek will help you out with info on the beauty side of thingds...although HD brows and eyelash extensions seem to be popular at the moment.

Thanx so much i will be doing alot of nails so thanx for the info will have to do my research x :lol:

hi, if you want your business to succeed i would do as much research as possible!!
1. look at your competitors and what they are offering and who their clientele are?
2. what sort of salon you want to be and what sort of clientele you are aiming at?
3. what will set you apart from the rest?
4. do a questionnaire and stand in a local shopping centre asking ppl what they would like in a salon
5. cost everything and look at each eventuality that could happen, you need to have money set aside for your personal expenses as you may not be able to draw a wage from the business for 6 months,maybe a year
6. look at how much stock you need to start up and what each suppliers minimum order is
7. will you take staff on?how many?part time or full time
8. accounts, insurance, advertising

it is exciting but also alot to do, it should take you about 6 months to get agood business plan together and costings etc, it wont happen overnight if you want to do it properly

Maybe start off mobile or from home to build up some clients, that way when you open a salon hopefully they will follow you to make it easier at beginnning

whatever you decide, good luck xx

hi, if you want your business to succeed i would do as much research as possible!!
1. look at your competitors and what they are offering and who their clientele are?
2. what sort of salon you want to be and what sort of clientele you are aiming at?
3. what will set you apart from the rest?
4. do a questionnaire and stand in a local shopping centre asking ppl what they would like in a salon
5. cost everything and look at each eventuality that could happen, you need to have money set aside for your personal expenses as you may not be able to draw a wage from the business for 6 months,maybe a year
6. look at how much stock you need to start up and what each suppliers minimum order is
7. will you take staff on?how many?part time or full time
8. accounts, insurance, advertising

it is exciting but also alot to do, it should take you about 6 months to get agood business plan together and costings etc, it wont happen overnight if you want to do it properly

Maybe start off mobile or from home to build up some clients, that way when you open a salon hopefully they will follow you to make it easier at beginnning

whatever you decide, good luck xx

As Souz says it will take a little while to get a business plan together! But having studied business before entering this industry I'd say it's an essential part of your new venture.

Direct.gov offer lots if advice online for people who own businesses or are self employed. Also, lots of colleges and schools offer short, often evening courses in business that are free.
Hmrc have alot if information too.

I definitely recommend research 'business' itself before opening a salon. Going mobile whilst looking at these things would be a good idea, it will give you experience in a small scale, then as your plan develops and your research grows you'll be in a good position to 'open shop'.

well said zowee,

i think this is why so many beauty salons fail as ppl dont realise what running a business actually entails!! and the fact that you have to perform treatments and then do the business side of things aswell as advertise,motivate and manage staff,stock control and ordering etc etc the list is endless, and then at the end of the day after all that try and have a life and look after family!!xx

Very true Souz its hard work!

I've done things the other way round. Left school did my alevels and then did a business degree. At 18 I really wanted to working in banking. After realising what a disgusting industry that is I changed my mind, worked in sales for a bit but have been a stay at home mum since.
I had been thinking what a waste of time and money that degree had been, I've only just cleared my student debt - thanks to OH!
I couldnt have been more wrong. I've always loved beauty and nails and began training last year. My goal now is to own my own salon by 30.
It may not be the career I had wanted at 18 but I'm happy I did get that degree!

I would say that anybody, in any industry can benefit from some business training if they plan to have their own business or work self employed.
The administration work involved in running a salon is a lot to take on, and you're right - fitting in treatments, employees, stock, advertising and a family is manic to say the least!

I take my hat off to anyone who's doing this already and I must be mad for saying it but - I can't wait for my slice of manic!!!

Business link is a really good website they have business plans marketing plans and video tutorials on how to fill things out it has helped me doing my research x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back