New business name, European language, not beauty related! Confused?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm usually good at this type of thing but more-so for other people. I turn to you lovely folks for some help, as Im having a total mind block.

I'm going to be rebranding and totally want to change my business name. I don't want it to be just beauty related because I am also a photographer. I spend equal amounts of time on both the beauty side of my life as well as the photography side. There has been a little bit of confusion when ti comes to my business name so I'd like to complete rebrand and start 2014 on a high, new brand, new business, new look etc.

My current business name is my full name with the word "creative" on the end. I no longer want my name to be the business name. This is for a number of reasons, which I will highlight.

1) My name gets pronounced wrongly
2) My business name is too long
3) People assume the name is beauty related only due to style colour theme etc of logo
4) People assume that I cater for only Asian/Indian people and events (This is by no means a problem, I am of Indian origin myself but I am trying to hit a wider audience and feel that a business name unlinked to myself will be more ideal

-- NEW BUSINESS NAME --

I have a love for European languages and how they can make a word sound beautiful. I want just the one word to package everything I'm about. I'm currently working alongside an amazing and talented photographer/cinematographer who has named his company "Vivida" and their website is called "We Are Vivida" which is Spanish for "lived, to live, we are living". I totally understand his reasons behind this name. He photographs/films weddings in such an amazing and creative way. He has become super successful from his passion and this reflects how he is "living" the dream. He is my inspiration in business, creativity and in so many other ways. I've been looking for a word in a different language to suit my business as well as reflect my way of thinking. Its difficult just googling the most common things and getting basic words sent back so if anyone can come up with anything with a meaning please do throw words at me.

ME AS A PERSON: I'll give you a little insight into my personality. I'm quite spiritual, very grateful for everything I have and the supportive people around me. Try and be thankful for both good and bad experiences because they're all tests and lessons to help us grow and appreciate. I'm creative when it comes to photography, design work, marketing, makeup, nails, hair. Deep thinker, when i meet like minded people I get very hyped up and passionate about creativity. I'm involved with some extremely worthy charities and find myself to be very giving. hmmm not too sure what else to say.

--- Play on words ---

I also have a friend who has named his business Cineture. This is a play on words. He again is a photographer and cinematographer. So he has combined the words Cinema and Capture into one word making it "Cineture". I thought that was pretty clever!

If I can't come across anything in a different language then i'm looking for a play on words. When it comes to translating into a different language I've tried all the common words in spanish, french, italian as I'm not familiar with any other language. Also I find that Vivida is super easy to pronounce but there are certain words in other languages that have different sounds when spoken which may not be evident in a name when first read so it has to be super easy. I don't ask for much do I? haha :D

when trying to search for words in different languages I've tried everything and I understand slag or different ways of saying words sometimes doesn't come up in google. so words like Creative, Image, Story, Believe, Dream, Gift, Smile etc i've tried in a general search.

Play on words…. no luck at all.

CAN ANYONE HELP AT ALL? I'm turning to my geekers as my brain is now giving me trouble!

esperanza. Hope
señora
espíritu. Spirit

Google translate

esperanza. Hope
señora
espíritu. Spirit

Google translate

Thank you, but I've already tried google translations and they're not coming up with great stuff.

Something like
The Beauty Pictorialist (Beautiful Pictorialist)
Or
Eye of the Beholder

still thinking, but maybe these might help you out with some ideas x

Something like
The Beauty Pictorialist (Beautiful Pictorialist)
Or
Eye of the Beholder

still thinking, but maybe these might help you out with some ideas x

…Now you're confusing… i was only after 1 word lol now I'm liking these clusters of words to make a name! haha

Apologies for the extremely long original post, just seen that on mobile version you have to extend the post to view the whole thing lol oops. I was trying to give as much detail as possible. takes time to find a perfect name for business. Please do keep the suggestions coming in. Remember I'm hoping for it to be that one word that says it all... Either in a different language or in a play on words thing.

xProjectPrettyx

Capture beauty
Imageful (image/beautiful)
Pretty as a picture (it's a saying I hear a lot!)
Prettyography
Beautylense

Haha sorry it's early-ish! Perhaps if you find out what photography and beauty is in different languages and blend them together they may sound more sophisticated Xo

Capture beauty
Imageful (image/beautiful)
Pretty as a picture (it's a saying I hear a lot!)
Prettyography
Beautylense

Haha sorry it's early-ish! Perhaps if you find out what photography and beauty is in different languages and blend them together they may sound more sophisticated Xo

I am liking BeautyLense!! Somebody also suggested Beautography, I'm not too sure if the audience will still relate this to just beauty however. *bangs head against wall* You geeks are a creative bunch! I do like the suggestions so far.

I totally forgot to add my business fb page in case this may help anyone out get to know me and my style of work etc…

http://www.facebook.com/Priya.WaliaCreative my website is also linked but meh… not been updated at all as my web designer has done a disappearing act!

Found a name I like... It's taken :'( it's an Spanish restaurant in London! Boo!

xProjectPrettyx

Found a name I like... It's taken :'( it's an Spanish restaurant in London! Boo!

xProjectPrettyx

U could still use it? Different locations and business type!

U could still use it? Different locations and business type!

Hmm I'm not sure as it's registered on Companies House as an official limited company. I also want to registered once rebranding is done but not sure what to do now. Once a name is registered on companies house I think it's unusable by others unless I add another word onto it, which I didn't want to do :( arrrgghh not a happy bunny now lol.

xProjectPrettyx

Your registered company name can be completely different to your trading name. It's more important to find out if the name you want has a) been trademarked by someone in the same industry/category as you want to use it and b) can you get a sensible website address that is the same or similar to your trading name?

Your registered company name can be completely different to your trading name. It's more important to find out if the name you want has a) been trademarked by someone in the same industry/category as you want to use it and b) can you get a sensible website address that is the same or similar to your trading name?
.....and to add to that don't make it so complicated that people can not spell it - you will never be found on a search engine and potentially could lose customers over it.

Interesting stuff! So if I registered, for example, "Project Pretty Visual Artist" as a company name, could I trade as Just "Project Pretty" or vice versa - Company Name: Project Pretty, Trading Name: Project Pretty Visual Artist ???

The above is just an example for this discussion by the way. The name I have chosen is super easy almost like "Vivida" (mentioned in original post) but still quite different, so the website etc will be super easy too.

Also, I will be registering as a sole trader, the company that has the name is registered as a limited company. Will this effect me? we are 2 completely different trades, no connection between the trades so people won't be confused that there is a connection.

xProjectPrettyx

Interesting stuff! So if I registered, for example, "Project Pretty Visual Artist" as a company name, could I trade as Just "Project Pretty" or vice versa - Company Name: Project Pretty, Trading Name: Project Pretty Visual Artist ???

The above is just an example for this discussion by the way. The name I have chosen is super easy almost like "Vivida" (mentioned in original post) but still quite different, so the website etc will be super easy too.

Also, I will be registering as a sole trader, the company that has the name is registered as a limited company. Will this effect me? we are 2 completely different trades, no connection between the trades so people won't be confused that there is a connection.

xProjectPrettyx

You wouldn't register a company name unless you wanted to be a limited company and registration would be made at companies house. As a sole trader you will only buy your domain name. If the name you wish to use is trademarked or copywrited by another company you can not use it regardless what industry it comes from.

Don't be confused with registering a company and buying a name they are very different. :)

Most sole traders use their names and a 'trading as' so as an example: Natalie Smith T/as project Pretty....

You wouldn't have project pretty Visual Artist T/as Project Pretty.

Things can be different outside the UK.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
You wouldn't register a company name unless you wanted to be a limited company and registration would be made at companies house. As a sole trader you will only buy your domain name. If the name you wish to use is trademarked or copywrited by another company you can not use it regardless what industry it comes from.

Don't be confused with registering a company and buying a name they are very different. :)

Most sole traders use their names and a 'trading as' so as an example: Natalie Smith T/as project Pretty....

You wouldn't have project pretty Visual Artist T/as Project Pretty.

Things can be different outside the UK.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Gaaaawd I'm so not down with this business lark. where and how could I copyright/trademark the name i'd like to use for my soul trading business? I know if I register as a sole trader it would have to be through HMRC etc but I want to make sure I get the name right before I do this.

xProjectPrettyx

You apply for a trademark with IPO - it's £200 for 10 years which works out at £20 a year.

You can search TMs on the site too to see how many people are using the name you want in what category. Salons are category 44-unsure if you would fall under that having the photography side too but they would keep you right.

Rather than jump straight in and apply for the trademark you can pay £100 and they will run a 'risk check' - how likely it is to be approved. If it's low risk, you can go ahead and pay the final £100.

It then goes out for anyone to reject you using the name for 3 months, if no objections it's your to use :)

Ignore the spam letters (I got 2) than come from companies who have seen your details on IPO and want money - I had a letter from Sweden asking for £600 to TM my name there and in the small print it basically said I was paying for nothing!!

You apply for a trademark with IPO - it's £200 for 10 years which works out at £20 a year.

You can search TMs on the site too to see how many people are using the name you want in what category. Salons are category 44-unsure if you would fall under that having the photography side too but they would keep you right.

Rather than jump straight in and apply for the trademark you can pay £100 and they will run a 'risk check' - how likely it is to be approved. If it's low risk, you can go ahead and pay the final £100.

It then goes out for anyone to reject you using the name for 3 months, if no objections it's your to use :)

Ignore the spam letters (I got 2) than come from companies who have seen your details on IPO and want money - I had a letter from Sweden asking for £600 to TM my name there and in the small print it basically said I was paying for nothing!!

Thanks for this information!! Really helps :) appreciate it! Now back to the drawing boards with names blaaaarrgghh

xProjectPrettyx

Latest posts

Back