New business panic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flynnser19

Reaction score
hey guys

I’m getting a bit worried!! I’ve opened a room in a hairdressers in November and I had a great Christmas but I’m not even making rent now in January. I’m looking reassurance really but people keep telling me the first year is tough did you other business owners have dead days and that when you started off?

I’ve read the thread on ideas for boosting your business and done everything that suits where I am and signed up to breakfast networking and all that but I don’t know if maybe Ireland is different than the UK and people are different??

Any advice would be great! Thanks in advance
Fi xx

January is always dead, no-one has any money, everyone has the christmas blues, they're all hitting the gym and starting new diets so there is no money to be spent on nails/beauty/etc. It will pick up, use this time to practise your skills, get up to date with paperwork and deep cleaning/decluttering.

Hiya Fi, don't worry it will pick up! Have you thought of offering a promotion that could be a win, win? My friend's salon is doing a friend and family promo; ^Introduce a friend and both of you get 20% off". Once the friend/relative has their treatment the introduced gets 20% of their service. We are not great discounters ourselves. We are offering a free hair mask treatment with certain services and won't just get the deal hoppers. If people are wowed by your treatments they will be back! [emoji5]

Would you be able work with the owner to put together a package for the clients they have booked to try and entice them to come for treatments? Its really in their best interest too. What services do you offer?

Hi guys thanks for all the suggestions!! I’m working with the hairdresser now to do packages as there is communion and confirmations coming up soon so it’s a good time to capitalize!! I’m glad to hear everyone is quiet though that’s a relief!!

I like the friends recommending idea that sounds good. I’ve also just had loyalty cards printed so I’m hoping that helps too!!

I’m a beauty therapist so I get makeup, waxing, Hd brows, gel polish, mani pedi, massage and spray tan for now :)

That's pretty much same as myself! I'm sure January is probably the quietest month of the year so things can only get better!

January is always quieter, so is February with most people just getting back on their financial feet after the overspend at Christmas.
I use my time deep cleaning, decluttering and planning promotions for the year ahead, and generally taking advantage of not doing the stupidly long hours I do over summer & Christmas ....
Xxxx

Do ye think offering facials and retailing facial brand makes a significant difference to your business (income, distinguish you from competitors) or are ye busy enough without? Currently on the fence about introducing one.

Do ye think offering facials and retailing facial brand makes a significant difference to your business (income, distinguish you from competitors) or are ye busy enough without? Currently on the fence about introducing one.

I think i need to introduce it if im honest and i come from a background in Spa so my strength is massage and skincare so i think i need to be introducing quiet spa evenings because thats my bread and butter really if im good at it!! I need to build up my clientelle in the other areas but i can be guaranteed massage clients i just wanted to get away from it but im learning that i need to introduce it.

Im looking to bring in a skincare brand now i have a meeting coming up soon with one or two brands but they need to be buy as i need kind of brands because i work alone i dont need a pile of stock you know!

Retail can help make or break a business. I started out some years ago with a home salon. I built up retail to being a third of my turnover. It’s so important. I have environ as my main facial brand and use Dermogenera for peels and galvanic facials. I retail lots of both.

Vic x

Is Dermogenera a new brand? Iv never heard of it.

Is Dermogenera a new brand? Iv never heard of it.

It’s a small extremely effective collection of products from Italy, now being distributed in the UK. They’re skincare products and a collection of peels and they also train in needling. A great range as many of the products are vitamin A based so you can add this important ingredient to your treatments without a huge outlay.

Vic x

Very good il have a look!

I’m thinking of bringing in a small Spanish brand called casmara they offer facial in a box and have no minimum order which suits me because I’m not exactly rolling in cash at the moment haha

They also have micro needling and peels available if I find it’s going well! It’s more for my bridal makeup clients I’d love to talk them into a skincare regimen in the run up and this particular company have a bridal box facial too!!

Latest posts

Back