New Business Start Help And Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone give me or guide me to some help and advice in setting up doing Nails on my own.

My situation is that I have been trained and fully qualified in nails for the last four years and through that time have been on loads of other training courses whilst working in a hair salon a few days a week for them.

This Hair salon is closing at the end of this month after being given very little notice and my brain is in turmoil trying to think of what to do or where to go next.

I did look at going in to another hair salon on employed basis again but think I might be better off going it alone.

I have infact found a possible room 10 ft by 10 ft with toilet/ water facilities to rent in a busier town 9 miles away from the town i live and work in. This room will cost me £56 a week including rates and electric. There is a beauty therapist working within the building as well and she seems to have a lot of clientell and also a hairdressers below.

I have everything I need to to start working straight away as I have accumualted all my equipment over the past years so would not need to by any equipment or products.

But what I need to know is what other thing I have to have and do to set up properly in this room apart from insurance obviously.

I have been to a couple of sites like business link for advice. But what i want is someonewho has done it already and can tell me exactly what i have to do with in a nail business.

I am going to look at this room tomorrow to check it out properly and would like to obviously get things moving with a possibility to start on the 1st september.

PLEASE PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP
:rolleyes:

I don't rent a room so can't help you on that score but i do work mobile,

Have you already got a client base ?

Start keeping a record of anything you buy now for the business, even if its just a towel from tesco ! including receipts.
I don't think the books are that hard to do but you can always get a book keeper if you want.

Will you have use of a receptionist, If not is there access to a landline or will you use your mobile ?

Yes have already got a client base and some will probably come to new salon but others i thought I could keep a day for doing them mobile.

Have kept all receipts of everything

not sure about the telephone might just have to use mobile to start.

Not sure if I have to have anything else in place for being in a room and not sure about the business rates or is that covered when they said the rent pays for rates and electric

Basically I can't see it being much different to what you have already. Jsut make sure you are covered for public liability, and that you have all your equipment insured, which you should have already.

Thre is a great book by Which? called The Which? guide to starting your own business. ISBN 0-85202-930-6. It really gives you lots of basic advice, from marketing to business plans, to premises etc. I found it invaluable reading when I first went self employed.

Yes have already got a client base and some will probably come to new salon but others i thought I could keep a day for doing them mobile.

Have kept all receipts of everything

not sure about the telephone might just have to use mobile to start.

Not sure if I have to have anything else in place for being in a room and not sure about the business rates or is that covered when they said the rent pays for rates and electric

Have you asked the beauty therapist that rents the other room next door ? :)

no not yet
am hopefully seeing her tomorrow sort things out

Thanks for that Sassy

I have that covered
What about Health and safety. do i have to get a something to put on the wall

Latest posts

Back