New challenges??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
One of our new site members (dizzydupe) has asked this question????

I do wonder though, what are the challenges left to you technicians that have been "doing nails" for a few years, they must be quite different to what we newbies face - or are they?

It made me think. Maybe it will make you think and add your own thoughts. Thought it was worth starting a new topic.

My ambition, now that I have retired form the day to day running of the business, is really to help and be a mentor to others who are in need of it in a more personal way than ever before. For instance, I have found that teaching and offering my experience on this site has been personally very rewarding, more so than I ever would have dreamed. It also seems to have been appreciated by many who have chosen to send me private messages. So thank you for letting me continue to do what I do best.

Teaching is my first love, and to still be able to do it for an even wider audience is great fun.

I do wonder though, what are the challenges left to you technicians that have been "doing nails" for a few years, they must be quite different to what we newbies face - or are they?
Well this made me think..............!!!!!!
Having been in the bizz for a decade now and are there any challlenges left.....OH YES, OH YES, OH YES..................

Oh yes, plenty.....!!!!!...........
Seeing something new and then wanting to do it................
Sitting and playing with the nails and trying to create something new.........!!!!!!
When new products come on the market like our brill Fabric# system, sitting and working with it and then making a nail thats just to die for.........!!!!!
Competiting in national competitions, there is always a challlenge there !!!!
Answering all sorts of questions on this board and making sure that I have got my facts right.....now thats a challenge in it's self.........

But I love this side of our Bizz, because if I don't know the answer, I will search high and low untill I do and this way learn myself.....and then pass it on..........

I would love to be as highly regarded as our lovely Geeg, who never fails to amaze me , with her huge store of knowledge......
A truely professional Lady, a good friend, a fantastic teacher and boy does she love to teach........
I am so proud to call her my friend and I can honestly say, that she is my rolemodel and mentor..............
So to be like her, would be the greatest challenge of all and this is something that can't be learned from a book.............
It's called passion.......when you have passion for our bizz the way she has, then you will always find a challenge somewhere in this crazy nail world of ours...........

So are there any challenges left for oldies in the bizz?????
Absolutly hundreds................
just my thoughts
love Ruth xxxxxxxxx

I have not been in the nail business for too long - almost 4 years but I would like to see more consumer awareness - I would like the day to come when consumers choose their nail salon in the same way as they choose their facials - by the brand you use - brand being synonymous with quality and education.

I would like the lady on the street to be knowledgeable enough to look for a Creative nail tech, or EZ Flow or whatever her informed choice is.

I will do as much as I can to help that happen.

That is a great ambition Fiona ... we have been working on that one for years and I think we have succeeded in the case of Creative.

Creative is a branded line that the consumer does ask for by name and it is largely due to Mrs Geek's PR efforts that the Creative brand is now so well recognised and respected .... THAT and the fantastic technicians who dedicate themselves to becoming the best of the best and using it, of course!!

What ambitions do others of you still want to achieve??

It dosent matter how long you have been here, no one can say they no everything, except Geeg if course, where would i be without her. Probably still using the awful **** ***** products, thank you for converting me to Creative 12 years ago.

I am happy with what i have achieved, the salon, nail school 3 kids and K-Sa-Ra, im 30 so still have a way to go yet.

Anyway, i have lots of dreams, education, license laws, banning MMA blah blah blah etc but my main goal is to be able to...........

Dont laugh...............

I want a front cover on "nails" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been asked to do it before, produced most of the designs in the K-Sa-Ra book, taught hundreds of students, but have not got the confidence to submit a design.

Told you it was silly!!!!!!!!!!

Love Chocolate x

My ambition would have to be a salon on the High Street and to become an Ambassador. Hell maybe even a competion win or two! ;)

I look at all your web sites/posts etc and just think that that is what I want. To be as knowledgable as you Geeg, Ruth, Sam(both of you!) and to have the respect that so many of us geeks have for you. Especially from us guys who are new to this.

I know its a hard slog but this is such a great profession to be in and so rewarding too.

Plus it never ceases to amaze me that so many people are willing to share their experience with so many others. Its just great!

Thanks a million to you all.

I shall certainly be picking your brains for as long as this site continues! :D

My Ambition is to become the best i can be, and to achieve a great sense of having done something with my life that i really love doing.
I enjoy this business more for the excitment and achievement than the money.................lol but maybe money would help P

I have a couple of challenges

After reading your post geeg on how to become a creative ambassador that is what i would like to aim for, it sounds like a lot of hard work and dedication but then the end result would be more than worth it.

And then like the others a cover shoot would have to be another one

Come on all you other geeks you gotta have dreams share them with us ;)

ok where do i start!!!
2.5 years ago, i was v. dissolutioned with things in general.
won't bore you with y, it's a long story, mayb another post!
if someone had asked me this question then i would've said;

to win a national compitition.
to represent my country in compitition.
to become a creative ambassador.
to become part of team creative.
to work backstage at london fashion week.
to do high profile photographic shoots for top mags like vogue.
to mentor some special nail techs.
to have a cover on one of the nail mags.
to travel internationally with my work.

guess what?!!!

i've only got 2 of my original list left undone. :D
the cover of nail mag
to join team creative.

the speed at which things can happen is suprising :fire:
however i'd had that list for 12 yrs b4 it started to become reality.

the list is ever expanding
the further that my career grows, the more responsible i feel to play an active part in the raising of the profile of our profession.

to aim to b the best that u can b, without climbing on anyone along the way is in my mind the best ambition i can think of :D
lol liza xx

Liza wrote:
to aim to b the best that u can b, without climbing on anyone along the way is in my mind the best ambition i can think of
Now thats so true, so many thrive on the success of others..........
Without giving as much as a thought to those they have stepped on........
You don't do that, quiet the reverse.!!!!!!!!!!
This is what makes you such a nice and special person.........
You soon will have that checklist completed babe xxxxxxxx
love,huggs and respect from me
love Ruth xxx

thank u ruthie :D
who knows what's in store for us in the nxt 12 months :D
if the last 12 months r anything 2 go by, it will b action packed 8)
ps the feelings mutual :flower:
lol liza xx

Wow I have just read some fantastic achievements! Well I am relatively new to this business and still trying to find my feet. My ambitions are

1) To be famous for what I do i.e. fantastic nails where people would be happy to pay mega bucks for me to do their nails! :D ( I know, I know, I've got big dreams)

2) To be a Creative Master Technician

3) To have a chain of very successful Nail salons :D

Dreaming .....................

The greatest challenge of all i have had to face so far, after being in the industry for 5 years, is overcoming the fear of 'boot camp'.... :pale: :pale: surviving 6 very, very, very long days.... :shocker: :shocker: graduating on the final day!!!! :goal: :goal: and being able to pass on to others the knowledge that my mum gave to me, and not forgetting the knowledge of the creative ambassadors i have had the privilege of meeting so far!!!!

my next greatest achievement is winning 6 national competitions, and i would strongly advise anyone in the industry to compete!! this is a challenge in itself, not everyone realises how hard it is... everyone who competes is a winner for overcoming the challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it does not matter whether you've been a tech for 5 minutes or forever!! everyday you will face challenges & you wont even realise it... some just get easier & easier. and running a successful salon is never easy with so many NNS around...

you know what?? I LOVE A CHALLENGE!!!! and my life wouldnt be complete without it...

Not only has becoming an ambassador for creative changed my work life, it changed my personal life too!!! this has made me a stronger person, and i thank everyone i have met in my path to get to where i've got today!!!!!

(and big hugs & kisses to all my fellow geeks/geekettes too!!) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

well i have only been in the business for four years the end of this month :D :D .............
Thanks to my mum who taught me nearly everything i know and helped me along the way with things other people have shown me (you know who you all are) ......

my list of things i wanted to try and achieve is far to long so i wont bore everyone but its the usual stuff like compete and so on.

i love competing and even though i am due to have a little one in a few months i had a chat with steve and he along with my mum assured me that i can still follow my heart and dreams.

the next major thing i would like to do is try the international competions but that is a good few years yet. but hey i can try my hardest to make it there . oh and get my face in all the nails mags so everyone will see who i am and how good the work i do is..............

love faye and peanut xxxxxxxxx

dearest faye
you have got the best type of people around you, people that support you.
having children will b 1 of the biggest challenges that u will face :shock: ,
but it won't stop u doing what u want 2 do :D
i was 8 mths pregnant with callum when i competed at brighton! :shock:
you've got both of the things that u need to do both.
loving support of family & friends, & the will to do what u want :D
go for it :fire:
lol liza xx

I'm still a newbie, but here are my challenges/goals...

1. To build up my clientele
I'm looking for different (inexpensive) ways to advertise, like trading nail services for advertising space, bumper stickers, putting my business card & brochure EVERYWHERE, etc.

2. To build my confidence
I think this will come with time. I hope. :)

3. To become a Creative Master Technician
I just have to start making more $ to get to this goal. I've never heard anything but good things about the Creative classes & workshops.

Thanks for listening!
Carrie in NE

I figured I would check out everyones ambitions before I spouted at the mouth!!! When I was 14 I fell in love with Super Models, Clothes, Makeup and shoes (I hadn't discovered nails at that time :shock: mind you not many had :rolleyes: ) so with what I do now....PR...this embraces all the things I love - talking about what I love which I am very good at :rolleyes: :rolleyes: dealing with LFW - models, clothes, shoes, makeup, supermodels etc but one of the most rewarding things is talking to Newbies and heading them in a positive diection and then having them come up to me years down the line with a 'thanks' for something I had forgotten I had done :oops: That is really satisfying. I think a goal of mine would be MORE media training so that I could do more TV work and especially with Sam....picture this...remember Richard & Judy...well think 'The Sam's on Nails' what a classick :rolleyes: ;) :oops: :oops: 8)

As I am new to this I think my ambition is to be as good as i can and build from there. Maybe a few competitions and a pic on a nail mag. And just to be recognised for my work - maybe asking too much but you cant help but dream

Didi

...towards my goal.

I contacted our local paper last week after reading several advertorials recently from other nail salons locally. I get so cheesed off when people advertise they have started using great new products, first of their kind that dont damage the nail etc. etc.

I finally decided to write an article for the paper - never thinking for one moment they would print something which I had not paid for LOL

Lo and behold my article appeared on their letters page today, headed up "How to choose top nails". I wrote details of what to look for when choosing a salon.

Let's see what becomes of it.

Hiya

My ambition is to be good enough to compete in a nail comp. I still have a way to go but i really fancy having a try! :p

Ruthie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back