New client cancelled last minute

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 132536

Reaction score
I’m new to mobile nails and am building up a clientele. However, last night I had a new client message me 3 hours before her appointment asking me to urgently ring her.
She was in tears saying she’d lost her purse and would have to cancel. I told her not to worry and I hope she got sorted . Then, she messaged me late last night to say she hadn’t found it and how sorry she was for cancelling and she was really looking forward to the appointment. I told her again not to worry but get in touch when she wanted to re-book. She then asked for an appointment same time and date but in 2 weeks time as I’m on holiday next week. Booked her in for that, only for her to message me again this morning to see if I can go to her at 8:30 tonight.
What would advise . Politely say I’m fully booked or give her the appointment tonight?

Do you have a cancellation fee in place?

You must nip these situations/ clients very nicely in the bud. After all it’s a business your running, no a hobby. By having a cancellation fee in place printed on web page, appointment card and price list. Charge 10% of treatment booked if 24hr cancellation time not given, like dentists etc do. I would go and make sure she has found her purse beforehand and double check the appointment for 2 weeks time, reminding her of your cancellation rules and next time she will be charged (no matter the circumstances). I send a appointment text reminders about 3 days before appointment. Do you have the facility to take a deposit over the phone. Best of look.

Last edited:
No, not as of yet. This is my second week mobile but I do ask clients to let me know 48hours before if they can’t make the appointment. She was aware of this but not able to honour it as she had just lost her purse!

You must nip these situations/ clients very nicely in the bud. By having a cancellation fee in place and letting your clients know this
Yep, I think you’re right because I’m in so early into building up a clientele I didn’t want to use a written cancellation policy but I think I may need to introduce one involving a deposit.

My main question is . I re-booked her in for 2 weeks time. She wanted next Monday but I’m away on holiday .
This morning, she asks if I can book her in for 8:30 tonight. Do I re-book her again for tonight or keep the appointment for 2 weeks time?

Look into getting a iZettle account for taking card payments, I’m also a mobile consultant and use it on my phone with WiFi. I’ve had clients come to me and forget their purse, so I get them to do a back transfer but only after they’ve been to me before, first time clients pay with cash.

Look into getting a iZettle account for taking card payments, I’m also a mobile consultant and use it on my phone with WiFi. I’ve had clients come to me and forget their purse, so I get them to do a back transfer but only after they’ve been to me before, first time clients pay with cash.
Thank you so much. I will look into that and get it up and running ASAP.
I was expecting cancellations but not so early on and not with the dramatic phone call with her in tears because she’d lost her purse. I did message her the day before and she replied saying how much she was looking forward to the appointment.

My main question is . I re-booked her in for 2 weeks time. She wanted next Monday but I’m away on holiday .
This morning, she asks if I can book her in for 8:30 tonight. Do I re-book her again for tonight or keep the appointment for 2 weeks time?

Both. She seems genuinely upset about losing her purse and clearly wants her nails done or she wouldn't have asked for tonight. I'd get the money before you start, word it something like 'I take payment before I start so it's out of the way and it doesn't get forgotten whilst I'm packing away' and go from there, if she messes you around again then cancel the one in two weeks. Things do happen, yes a cancellation policy is wise to have but life doesn't run to order all the time purses get lost, people get ill, accidents happen, etc.

You learn from your mistakes and people do tend to play the motional card to try and get out of situations. Making a note on their record card and in your diary of these times helps to be fair to both sides. After all, you have bills etc to pay and if your short when buying in a shop you don’t get.

Both. She seems genuinely upset about losing her purse and clearly wants her nails done or she wouldn't have asked for tonight. I'd get the money before you start, word it something like 'I take payment before I start so it's out of the way and it doesn't get forgotten whilst I'm packing away' and go from there, if she messes you around again then cancel the one in two weeks. Things do happen, yes a cancellation policy is wise to have but life doesn't run to order all the time purses get lost, people get ill, accidents happen, etc.
I have booked her in for tonight and hopefully we can get things back on track. Like you said, life doesn’t always go according to plan. She seemed very upset last night and keen to re-book. Fingers crossed she keeps this appointment.
Thanks for the advice.

You learn from your mistakes and people do tend to play the motional card to try and get out of situations. Making a note on their record card and in your diary of these times helps to be fair to both sides. After all, you have bills etc to pay and if your short when buying in a shop you don’t get.
Have now noted the cancellation in my diary. Thanks.

I think I must be cold hearted as I read above that the client was crying on the phone (to someone she hasn't met yet) about her lost purse.
In 30 years I've never had a client cry on the phone to me about something like this, people get angry when they have lost their cash & cards because of the hassle cancelling them with the bank. Crying would make me think she has greater debts elsewhere.
I would be very wary of this client as she may not be reliable long term.
Give her the benefit of the doubt once but write down everything on her card for future reference. If she gives you a sob story tonight and doesn't pay then get what cash off her you can (even if only a couple of quid) and don't book her again. If you think she might be a client who constantly contacts you then block her from your facebook and block her phone number.
Beware with this one - always ask yourself - why has she stopped going to have her nails done at her regular salon??:rolleyes:

I don’t think your cold-hearted at all. After the phone call I thought she was being overly dramatic crying and I now have reservations about whatever else may be going on in this ladies life. Who knows? I’m sure I’ll find out soon enough!
However, a friend recommended me and my FB page to her. If my friend had not told me that she is a lovely lady then I’d be thinking twice about going tonight.
She has now found her purse this morning. Either it is genuine, it was a money issue or she has other things going on . Like you say, I will give her the benefit of the doubt , turn up do my job , give her a lovely manicure , get paid and have a regular paying client. Any, messing me about this time cancelling etc and I’ll have to take her off my client list.
Good experience with difficult clients so early on though I guess.

UPDATE: The lady kept her appointment and I had no problems with payment. I think she was just very emotional after having lost her purse and having to cancel her FIRST ever nail appointment. She’s 63, treating herself for her wedding anniversary & had really been looking forward to having a pamper.
Thank you all for your advice , it was all taken on board. All in all, this was a positive outcome. She’s booked in for 2 weeks time and has booked an appointment for her grand-daughter as a birthday treat

I’m so glad the appointment went well for you, it’s a fabulous feeling when you see the happiness and satisfaction you give to someone. Best of luck for future appointments x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back