New client pain

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolep

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry for the long one, but you will see why.....

I got a new client last week, was so happy as things have been really slow lately and the bills are pilling up.

She arrived for her appointment filled out the client card, tells me she has been having BIo overlays done for years at some other tech but came to me for tips as she had a funtion at her boyfreinds work and her tech was busy.
She is 24, tells me she used to do nails years ago like 7 years ago. She then looks at my Bio gels starts asking what is S- gel, why am I doing this ect. Then when all the tips are on she says she would like square nails with slightly rounded edges - not a prblem I do them. Then she is not happy with the shape and files it herself, she filed them totally round! when the gel is finally on and I tell we are about to polish she says ok, lets me do it, then says as the polish hits the last nail that she is going to the toilet.

She goes to the toilet and leaves the door open!!!!! I work from home and my boyfriend was asleep but could have walked out!

Then she never came out, finally after like ages she comes out with her hair and make up redone and tells me she smudged her nails! NOt a problem - I did them again, then she touches them and smudges them again, this went on for a while.

How do I handle this Miss know it all?

What a nightmare, I'd start by telling her if she wants to do her own nails, stay at home to do them!

Secondly, charge her accordingly, you painted her nails 3 times, charge for this!

You need to make her realise you are the professional.

I have had a few people like this, want the shape changed, i normally do one nail and ask if it's ok, if the length and shape is what they want before I do the other 9, save alot of time with the ones that cant make up their minds lol.

Good luck, sounds like you have your work cut out with her.

First of all - YOU ARE THE PROFESSIONAL - not her. Don't allow her to get a file and file her own nails. That shows that you are a bit insecure of what you do, be firm and don't allow this sort of thing. She's trying to intimidate you by telling you right off that she used to be a tech, if that's really the case, she would know exactly what your pots of product are & your procedures.:hug: Chances are she hasn't got a clue!

When it comes to polishing her nails, ask her if she needs to use the loo, as you do not want her to smudge her nails, as if you have to re-do them becasue of her, you will have to charge her again, after all - it's YOUR time she's wasting.

I'd be very firm with this sort of client and let her know that you are the nail tech. People like this are not always worth the hassle tbh.

If she was to book in again I would set a few ground rules with her before you start the service.

I would insist that she is to let you do all parts of the service and if she was to take over any part of it then you will not allow the service to continue as the outcome is your responsibility. I would also state that if she does not sit still and smudges the polish then you will not be re-painting them for her as it her responsibility that they have smudged. I would also insist that she pays you upfront as she is probably one of those that if you stick to your above rules then she may refuse to hand the money over.

We do unfortunately have clients like these and their money is a good as the next client so as long as you are firm with them then I would continue to serve her.

also just tell to make sure shes done everythiung first , loo, money, etc.. coz you have another client booked and havent got time to re paint em if she smudges :lol:

]She is 24, tells me she used to do nails years ago like 7 years ago[/COLOR].

I'm interested to know where she 'did nails', cos that would have made her 17? :lol: So she must have done a course and didn't follow through and thinks she's an expert! I think i'd be inclined to ask her about her experience when/if i saw her again!

Reading this just made me want to shout NO NO NO............You will have to be stronger with her IF you want her as a client.

There is no way she should touch your equipment...files, enamels or anything else and you must not allow her to. If she picks your file up to use it, just take it back and tell her.

You only get treated how you allow yourself to be treated....Dont allow it !!

Anticipate!! Always ask the client to pay before you paint and to get her car keys out of her bag and to use the loo if has has the need :lol:... fatal otherwise.

I think I would have told her that "your idea of square round is not my idea of square round" and laughed it off. Next time you will know how she likes them.

A little knowledge is always a pain and too much is worse!! :lol: No one EVER wants to do my nails and, in truth, no one ever does them how I would do them! I always have to 'tweak' them myself before I am happy as I'm sure you would do if anyone else did yours! However I always do the tweaking at home and would never disrespect another pro by doing it in front of her/him :eek:.

You should have charged for the 2nd polish and anything else you did for her ... that is the biggest mistake. Now this girl will think she can do whatever she likes with you.

This happened to me recently too. New client just moved to uk from croatia. she described the end shape she required, I did 1, checked with her it was right, then carried on and completed all 10.
They were all the same - all shapes, curves in all the right places.

I finished and said 'i'll just buff and finish them', and I couldn't believe it!!!!! she picked up my file and started to 'adjust' her thumbs - ! oh my god ! I was sooo shocked I rooted to the spot! I then had to chanhge all the others. This added 15mins to the appointement. This has never happened to me before (in 7yrs). (and won't be happening again either!).

I reckon that, as she's had her nails done by 1 person for so long, she is used to seeing them in a particular way...... well...... she'l have to get used to how I do them cuz I can't have that happening.
Think what I'll do is make sure my files are out of her reach, and if she goes to do it again, I'll say 'just explain again' and i'll do it.

You can be sure she'll get the message!
If she doesn't, I'll not be available to book her in again, I really can't be doing with it.

You wouldn't go into a restaurant and pop into the kitchen to adjust jour own meal- would you?

next time she calls tell her your busy thats probly what the other tech did !!:lol:

Latest posts

Back