New clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelly123

Reaction score
Hi
Just some helpful advice needed.... I have been self employed on a part-time basis now for about 5 years. I have a small salon in an extension on my home. I had a lot of clients and found that I was busy most weeks because I work fewer hours.
However I have noticed I have had a lot more quieter weeks for various reasons. Eg clients are just getting cuts now rather than a cut and colour due to financial reasons obv if they don't have the money I can't win them round. (my prices are vey competitive with other salons)
Also someone else living locally who worked further away has given up work and is now doing what I do from their house, he is a few years older than me and went to school with a lot of my clients and I think a few of them have gone to him!
How can I get more new clients? Not necessarily the old ones back, but new ones too. I have tried leaflets but find it takes about 3/4 hours to maybe only get 1 or 2 customers any advice would be very much appreciated! And newspaper ads can be pricey. I feel like I have lost some confidence in myself and finding it hard to get back into my old self!
Also, I was thinking about perhaps going to work back in a salon but would somebody want me after not being in a salon for so long? I am 37

Sorry to add to this but really would like some advice if anyone can help, basically I just would like to know how most of you get new clients, and also do you think I would have any problems getting backintowork in a salon. I am 37 and have been self employed for the last 5 years, I feel I am starting to get " out of touch" !

Hi there, not sure if I will be much help. If ur feeling "out of touch" as u say maybe it might help to go back to a salon. Having other people to talk things over with always helps, advice and ideas from colleagues is great.

If you don't decide to go back to a salon, what about doing maybe some colour/ cutting courses to help you feel like you aren't losing touch? Learn some new techniques.

I know you mentioned leafleting hardly seems worth it but I would definitely keep doing it. Even 1 client for 3/4 hours work is better than none! And don't forget that 1 client may have many friends. Recommendations is by far the best way to get and keep clients.

My humble opinion anyway. Maybe someone else might have some better ideas or advice

Xxx

Thank you vixen, I will leaflet again this week and hope I get another couple of clients from it. Just needed someone's opinion to see if they tout it was a worthwhile job to do an you are right I may get more clients from it.
I do think I would benefit from going back into a salon but when I phoned a couple recently I was asked where I was working just now and also my age, both my answers were met with a short silence and a promise of a call back, but I'm still waiting!
I also feel as I haven't been in a salon env for a while if someone asks my advice I'd unsure what to say - I've lost my mojo!

Hi hon, sorry you are feeling a bit deflated. I know it sounds like a fob off but have you been through the thread from Lynne Baker on how to promote yourself? There are so many ways to advertise out there, I myself have spent three hours going through and making notes on what I'm going to do next. It really is motivating, grab the bull by the horns tomorrow and decide what you're going to do first off the list :) xxx

Thank you pixie earthy, I had been looking through some very old threads and saw this advice given to someone a while ago. I will try to if d the thread and start taking notes!
Thanks to you both for your advice.

PixieBeauty so sorry!

It's called more ways to promote your business and it is an amazing 22 pages of advice right there! I think if nothing else it will get your mind whirring with ideas.

I also second the above advice to go on a training course. I recently went on a training course for gel nails and it reignited my passion for acrylics, different system but just got my mojo going again for enhancements in general. I was quite surprised as like I say, different system but it really made me feel back in the swing of things. Confirmed what I knew (but doubted) and inspired me to learn the gaps in my knowledge. I think it could have similar benefits for you hon xxx

I have just sat and read the same thread all the way through! I can't wait to "get it all done" doesn't seem enough hours in the day haha.
So much good advice don't know where to start but you should go right through it, get your pen and paper ready and make some notes! It's brill.

Latest posts

Back