New CND Retention Powder what you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracie130178

Reaction score
Hi

I have just ordered the new CND pink and white Retention Powder. Has anyone tried it yet and what do you think. Could you tell a difference.

xxx

I wanted to order this but they only had clear when I ordered earlier in the week, let us all know how you get in with it :)

I am just looooving my Retention+ Powders! I am wholly satisfied with the clarity, they are everything I was hoping for.

Anyone using Retention+ Powders should check this out for some inspiration and pro tips.
cndvideo's Channel - YouTube
Remember to hold that bead upside down!

Also loving this:
Who are You? - Retention+ - CND

I wonder by this time next year how many CND Master Architect level nail professionals we will have in the UK?

I wanted to order this but they only had clear when I ordered earlier in the week, let us all know how you get in with it :)

Hi Just to let you know it has arrived :) I love it the shine and how it applies is gorgeous ;-) well happy

oooh sounds good think i am ordering some too! cant wait to see what it is like! x

I'm just having my first play with it now, I really like it. It does feel creamier and so lush to use.
I've done a few nails on my nail trainer and I do usually get bubbles in my clear and I do usually get bubbles in my clear but I can actually see none!
For my first impressions I'm really pleased!

I'm just having my first play with it now, I really like it. It does feel creamier and so lush to use.
I've done a few nails on my nail trainer and I do usually get bubbles in my clear and I do usually get bubbles in my clear but I can actually see none!
For my first impressions I'm really pleased!

I'm going to buy some of the new powders at the manchester show. How did you find the ratio? Is it easy? Watched the CND vid showing how to use them. It will take some getting used to having to turn the brush over so that the bead is upside down. :D

I've had a couple of attempts to get the mix ratio right, its the same ratio as usual but as the pwder feels different I was off a bit sometimes.
Once I stopped trying to over think it and just do it its fine, I've just done a clear nail... the clarity...its brilliant!
It certainly delivers all it promises... and I've only had a little play so far!

Mix Ratio is exactly the same as all other powders, and Is wonderful to work with, and yes it does EXACTLY what it says on the tin.
Love it :)

Hi Just to let you know it has arrived :) I love it the shine and how it applies is gorgeous ;-) well happy
Glad to hear it :D

Now I've had more time with the powders I am absolutely hooked. Straight out the jar they are denser with astounding clarity and gives our nails a more durable, scratch resistent finish.

For artistic looks and custom blending we've been mixing Retention+ Powders with Perfect Colour Powders.
Customise your blend for your clients needs when necessary…use straight from the jar when they meet your needs.
They are both superior powders choose the one that meets your needs or custom mix as necessary.

I'm going to buy some of the new powders at the manchester show.
As far as I know the S2 stand will be a Shellac and Minx extravaganza and no powders will be for sale at all. Better get them ordered instead!

Fee, on the first video link they use Brisa Gloss to finish the enhanced nail BUT it was buffed with a 240 grit. When did CND decide that a 240 finish was ok because I was taught to finish with a 180 grit so that both the gel and the Gloss had a keyed surface to adhere to?
I always use a 180 grit when refining my Brisa and also if I use Gloss over L+P.

Thanks in advance :D

Fee, on the first video link they use Brisa Gloss to finish the enhanced nail BUT it was buffed with a 240 grit. When did CND decide that a 240 finish was ok because I was taught to finish with a 180 grit so that both the gel and the Gloss had a keyed surface to adhere to?
I always use a 180 grit when refining my Brisa and also if I use Gloss over L+P.

Thanks in advance :D

Well spotted eagle eye! ;)

Brisa Gloss is of course designed to be used with Brisa UV Gel to seal, protect and give a glorious shine. We finish our Brisa enhancement to a 180 surface then apply our Brisa Gloss. Make the surface too smooth, say with a 240 and you MAY experience the appearance of 'bald spots' in the finish of Brisa Gloss on your Brisa UV Gel nail enhancements.... not pretty.

It may have been designed for Gel but we know Brisa Gloss looks awesome over L&P too. It seems logical that the L&P would have to be finished in the same way, 180 grit, as the Gel is before applying Brisa Gloss, that is what I've always done myself and indeed what you will have been taught. We didn't even think to try finishing our L&P with a 240... but when we did we still got great results. Try it, see what works best for you. It's another option.

Thanks Fee, I'll give it a go :D
I have to admit, I looked back at the buffing part 2-3 times just to be sure I wasn't mistaken lol

I'm loving Ret+ powders! I am finding it a little bit harder to get my ratio right every time, but it's getting easier..... Also, no bubbles, not one - loving that!!!

I find Intense Pink too pink though so I've mixed it 50:50 with clear to get a less pink pink ikywim :biggrin:. Can't wait to rebalance some to see how it's 'worn'.

Well spotted eagle eye! ;)

Brisa Gloss is of course designed to be used with Brisa UV Gel to seal, protect and give a glorious shine. We finish our Brisa enhancement to a 180 surface then apply our Brisa Gloss. Make the surface too smooth, say with a 240 and you MAY experience the appearance of 'bald spots' in the finish of Brisa Gloss on your Brisa UV Gel nail enhancements.... not pretty.

It may have been designed for Gel but we know Brisa Gloss looks awesome over L&P too. It seems logical that the L&P would have to be finished in the same way, 180 grit, as the Gel is before applying Brisa Gloss, that is what I've always done myself and indeed what you will have been taught. We didn't even think to try finishing our L&P with a 240... but when we did we still got great results. Try it, see what works best for you. It's another option.

Now I'm confused!

Can you clarify what grit file should be used for:

Brisa Gel
CND Acrylic

before adding Brisa Gloss or Shellac Topcoat??

Also another Q, when I was taught in College using NSI, I could've sworn one of the final steps after filing was to use Cleanse (CND's D Sperse or IPA) to remove the dust before painting with a UV Top Coat.

Do you think this needs to be done or are you ok just using your plush brush to brush off your filing dust?

Many thanks. :)

Hi Lisa! Let's not get confused! :)

Now I'm confused!

Can you clarify what grit file should be used for:

Brisa Gel
CND Acrylic

before adding Brisa Gloss or Shellac Topcoat??

Also another Q, when I was taught in College using NSI, I could've sworn one of the final steps after filing was to use Cleanse (CND's D Sperse or IPA) to remove the dust before painting with a UV Top Coat.

Do you think this needs to be done or are you ok just using your plush brush to brush off your filing dust?

Many thanks. :)

When performing finishing on Brisa Gel Enhancements before the application of Brisa Gloss a 180 grit surface is required.
(That's the Grey Boomerang Padded File (180 on both sides) and/or the 'logo' side of your Blizzard File.)

When applying Brisa Gloss to CND Liquid & Powder Enhancements finishing your L&P to 180 also is perfect.
However, if you finish to 240 you should still get great results.

Applying Shellac UV Top Coat or Colour Coat over Liquid & Powder requires 240, or indeed 1200 finishing. Both give a great result.

The question of cleansing or dusting prior to applying Brisa Gloss.....
If you are 100% neither you nor the client has touched the enhancement surface then dusting down should be adequate.
If you touch the enhancement surface with your fingers (to check smoothness etc...) or the client does, it seems logical that one should ScrubFresh before applying the Brisa Gloss to remove contaminants from the surface. For many this is standard procedure.

These are the options we have.

But the question remains......

Why would one choose to apply Brisa Gloss or Shellac UV Top Coat to Liquid & Powder?

I'm not being a horror here, I just genuinely want to know your feelings on this folks! :)
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
But the question remains......

Why would one choose to apply Brisa Gloss or Shellac UV Top Coat to Liquid & Powder?

I'm not being a horror here, I just genuinely want to know your feelings on this folks! :)
Thanks in advance!

Right I am going to confess something now...... I may be an L+P Master, I have been a working nail tech for 7 years but I'm not very good at buffing to a high-gloss shine :o. Adding a gel topcoat gives reliable, long-lasting shine that my clients love and I know looks lush.....

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wink2:, but it's the truth guv.

Right I am going to confess something now...... I may be an L+P Master, I have been a working nail tech for 7 years but I'm not very good at buffing to a high-gloss shine :o. Adding a gel topcoat gives reliable, long-lasting shine that my clients love and I know looks lush.....

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :wink2:, but it's the truth guv.

Haha, thanks for the honesty Vetty! :)

Well I have no problem with that at all, ..... but I hope you are charging extra/appropriately for the addition of Brisa Gloss on L&P ;)

Latest posts

Back