New direction after time off due to Covid-19

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKHair

Reaction score
Hi all, I was hoping to get some thoughts/ideas from you all.

I’ve worked as a very busy full time+ stylist in a high end salon for 10 years. I’ve been soo burned out with feeling like I don’t even have a second to think my own thoughts or have any life outside of the salon. After having this time off from the quarantine, I honestly just don’t want to go back! I feel like I found myself again I’m burned out from so many gossipy coworkers, so many hours I don’t have a say in, ownership issues, and certain clients I’d really rather prefer to never see again.

Obviously I need to make an income, and I’m not sure if I am feeling this way because of where I’ve been working, but do you guys have any thoughts? I hate the idea of a “booth rental” as I really like the vibe of more people around me, but also not SO many as I currently do. Anyone else feeling similar? What other options are there?

Thanks so much!!

I

I’ve worked as a very busy full time+ stylist in a high end salon for 10 years. I’ve been soo burned out with feeling like I don’t even have a second to think my own thoughts or have any life outside of the salon. After having this time off from the quarantine, I honestly just don’t want to go back! I feel like I found myself again I’m burned out from so many gossipy coworkers, so many hours I don’t have a say in, ownership issues, and certain clients I’d really rather prefer to never see again.

Obviously I need to make an income, and I’m not sure if I am feeling this way because of where I’ve been working, but do you guys have any thoughts? I hate the idea of a “booth rental” as I really like the vibe of more people around me, but also not SO many as I currently do. Anyone else feeling similar? What other options are there?

Thanks so much!!
Really have no suggestions at this point sorry, but I just wanted you to know you're not on your own!
I'm feeling exactly the same way....

There are lots of free online careers quizzes. As you’ve got the free time, try a few out and see what ideas they might offer for retraining?

It’s less common to stay in one career for life nowadays. In fact, when I worked in Higher Education, it was accepted that most graduates would average 3 different careers during their working life.

I’m talking Careers, not individual jobs!

You could end up doing something completely unrelated to hairdressing, and why not?

Hi, I dont have any advice really but I to feel the exact same way! I'd happily never go back for lots of similar reasons! I have to put up with some stupid shit from the guy who is the owner! I do rent a chair it has it's good points and bad, right now the bad point is I still have to pay rent even though we have had to close due to the current situation!

My prob is I've stayed there to long, and now became a mug! I have lost confidence in what I do that I'm to scared to try somewhere else, dont fall into that trap.

Thanks so much!!

I feel the same, I'm wondering whether I am able to just jump back in and work at a pace we all have to at Christmas time, can I go from not working to being fully booked for nine hrs solid ? Because I'm sure we will all be in very high demand when we go back.

If you have no strong yearning to do anything else in particular, may you just need a change of salon ?
Definitely use this time to think about other career paths, or is there a different area within hairdressing you could move into ? This industry has so many options, wigs and hair replacement ? Teaching apprentices ? Trichology ? Film and t.v industry ?

Stay healthy and good luck

Not necessarily advice but I feel your pain! I have been working in a salon & it was very normal for me to work 11,12,13 hours days everyday. I was so miserable & just felt sick & anxious every time I went into work. I was working in a city centre and just couldn’t say no to anyone as the rent on my chair was so high.
Before lockdown all kicked off I had actually found another salon that I was going to move to. Out of the city, cheaper overheads etc etc.
I handed in my notice last week & couldn’t be happier. Previous boss was gutted but didn’t seem to mind *too much* as I was moving 6 miles away But it’s only 5 mins away from my flat. Ive been messaging a lot of clients and some don’t want to come with me - fair enough, the journey is too far! And I’ll be honest; there are some that won’t hear from me at all. It sounds horrible but they are people who probably come in every 6 months and I don’t have a relationship with.
moving to a new salon means I can have a bit more control with my hours and with there being less clients; there is less demand and shorter days without the pressure of paying a high rent!
it’s so not worth being unhappy in a job that we should feel passionate about. I know I wouldn’t want someone to do my hair if they hated doing hair if you see what I mean? Lockdown has been a really interesting time as I know a lot of people who are having second thoughts about their careers but I hope you find happiness in whatever you choose to do ☺️

I felt like that years ago so decided to go freelance mobile. It's the best decision I ever made. I can choose which hours I want to & I will be in control of how many clients I book once we return to work.
I have also been known to 'client edit' from time to time, choosing which clients fit with me best too.
The downside is I don't like rinsing colours off over a bath or a bathroom basin, but the service I give is so personal & you get to sit & have a chat & coffee while the colours are processing!
Many of my clients have stayed with me for 20-30 years and we have fantastic conversations that you couldn't have in a salon with other people listening in .
I have also studied an OU psychology degree course alongside working many years ago, with a view to changing career, but never used it because I would miss my clients.
I'm thinking about training to be a counsellor now so I can have a 'sitting down' job, alongside part time hairdressing now the 30+ years of standing are taking their toll.
As we all know, our clients like to 'offload ' from time to time so I may as well put the experience to good use.
I guess what I'm saying is, you don't have to change track totally, you could 'dip yr toe in' & do something else while you still

My sister felt the same, shes changing to part time now and opening a small salon at her home! She is going to use a spare room, she started to do it up a few weeks ago and its abs gorgeous!

You’re certainly not on your own. I’m really not looking forward to getting back into the hamster wheel. Such feelings are normal btw and lots of people, employed and self employed are reviewing their life priorities right now.

Hi hope your all ok and survived first day back after 3 months..
I need some advice. I have discovered after the time off I have completely fallen out of love with hairdressing. So fed up of feeling totally burnt out working 10 hour days with no real break and just expected to work extra.. for free!! Lockdown was such a relief to feel myself again.. and put myself first instead of some clients I would rather not see at all...
however I have found out I am 6 weeks pregnant so I am extremely nervous about working so closely with people. I was ready to give it all up but wondered if I am still entitled to maternity pay? I am due March 2021 and have always been in employment. I just feel so trapped in a job I no longer love..

I

Really have no suggestions at this point sorry, but I just wanted you to know you're not on your own!
I'm feeling exactly the same way....
Oh gosh @ronray ive only just come across this post but I’d say to you. It would be a total waste of such an amazing talent for you to give up hairdressing. I only wish you were within driving distance I would be a loyal client even seeing just a little of the amazing colour advice you give

Latest posts

Back