New employee pay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ephios03

Reaction score
Hi I am looking at employing a new therapist, she has a qualification in Massage which she studied in a local training centre which is accredited, I am told they are equivalent to level 3, although she is qualified she will have no salon experience, I am thinking therefore she will come to me as a trainee but I am confused over what salary to pay, NMW? she has said she is expecting trainee pay to start off with, as she is qualified she is not an apprentice so not on that salary, I have looked at adverts for other salons and spas and they on average seem to pay NMW but ask for at least 1year experience so I am confused over what to pay. I am going to pay for her to go on training courses to compliment what we offer at the salon and she has already enrolled on advanced training courses herself which she wants to add to her qualifications.

I have looked into pensions and her part time hours does not warrant this, her hours also mean she will not be paying tax and insurance, I am gong to register with HMRC as an employer but as there will be no deductions do I just provide her with a payslip showing no deductions, I have not employed before so any help would be appreciated please.

You can pay her anything from NMW upwards. She is qualified so she’s not an apprentice or a trainee. If you’re sending her on courses, include in her contract that she will be liable for repaying training costs if she leaves within x amount of time.
I’m not 100% sure but even if part time, I think you may have to offer the option of a pension so do check.
And yes, you provide her with a payslip showing what she’s been paid for. I also use payslips to show any paid holiday staff take. Make sure you’re up to date on what she’s entitled to. Even a zero hours contract is entitled to holiday. Also if she’s earning under a set amount per week (around £115) you also won’t be liable for sick pay. SSP now gets paid by employers sadly, if staff are earning over this, or if they’ve earned over this as an average, in the 8 weeks preceding their sickness (please take this as a guide).

HMRC have lots of online tools to help. You can even use their app to work out NI and tax and to print payslips.

Good luck

Vic x

You can pay her anything from NMW upwards. She is qualified so she’s not an apprentice or a trainee. If you’re sending her on courses, include in her contract that she will be liable for repaying training costs if she leaves within x amount of time.
I’m not 100% sure but even if part time, I think you may have to offer the option of a pension so do check.
And yes, you provide her with a payslip showing what she’s been paid for. I also use payslips to show any paid holiday staff take. Make sure you’re up to date on what she’s entitled to. Even a zero hours contract is entitled to holiday. Also if she’s earning under a set amount per week (around £115) you also won’t be liable for sick pay. SSP now gets paid by employers sadly, if staff are earning over this, or if they’ve earned over this as an average, in the 8 weeks preceding their sickness (please take this as a guide).

HMRC have lots of online tools to help. You can even use their app to work out NI and tax and to print payslips.

Good luck

Vic x
Hi thank you for replying, I did go on the Pensions Regulator site, you can answer questions and it tells you if you need to provide a pension, it come back with no but you still then have to let them know, will check out the sick pay guidelines, I knew I had to pay and holiday pay, will get up to speed with it all

Latest posts

Back