New girl!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa1979

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to this site and brand new to the nail business. I am having a complete change of career to get into the beauty world. I am taking my first course in acrylic nails tomorrow. Its a one day course with a company called Top Talons. Has anyone used them before? If so what are they like? Apparently if they are happy with my work tomorrow I will receive a certificate and then I need to do loads of practice before I can become mobile. Does anyone have any tips?
Also does anyone know of anyone who is selling a Nail Trainer? I would like to get hold of one of these so I can practice at home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks guys

Lisa
x

hi and welcome to the site , you will get loads of help here if u need it , i have not heard of the company you are training with, but i hope you like your course , and become a talented nail technician, love dee

Thanks Dee, much appreciated. How did you train? I am doing this one day course tomorrow for acrylics then I am planning to take a course in manicuring and pedicuring. I then plan to learn other nail systems. Does this sound okay? How long was the course you took? I just dont see how I can be "qualified" after a one day course?

Hi

have you tried ebay for a nail trainer they often turn up on there second hand but they do tend to hold there value well.
I havent heard of the company your training with. I have just completed a course with star nails for l+p

Thanks for the tip Star, I will have a look on ebay. How long was your course? Mine is only a day course, I dont see how I can learn all about acrylics in one day when I have no prior knowledge to nail enhancements!! Panicking!! xx

Lisa1979 said:
Thanks for the tip Star, I will have a look on ebay. How long was your course? Mine is only a day course, I dont see how I can learn all about acrylics in one day when I have no prior knowledge to nail enhancements!! Panicking!! xx

Well the simple answer is ... you can't. You haven't even started and even you know you can't. :)

But everyone has to start somewhere ... the important thing to realize, as you obviously do, is that you must continue on a regular basis for as long as it takes (which for me has been nearly 20 years).

Consider a one day course as dipping your 'toe in the water'. If you are intrigued then you will go on. As a nail professional you will be asked many questions by your clients and you will come across many interesting situations with which you will have to deal competently and intelligently. You need knowledge to face these situations without making yourself appear ill educated.

Keep going with your education. You will find your feet, the best products for you, and the right classes. Good Luck.

Thats great advice Gigi, thank you. Being a complete nail virgin I was starting to panic!! Would you recommend doing as many courses as possible on all systems or just one course for each system? I know I will need to put plenty of practice in at home aswell with a nail trainer.

Thanks again

xx

Hi and welcome to the nail geek,

I did a four day course, learning mani, l&p silk and fibreglass and the maintenence of all three. I am in my practice period before my exam in a week and feel that even if I pass, that I wont be ready to work in a salon or mobile.

To be honest with you, I thought that being a nail tech would be a breeze, what a shock I had. After doing my exam, Im going to sign up for another course looking into the creative conversion and star nails at the minute, so I can gain more education and knowledge about nails. I felt 4 days was not long enough, mind you it cost enough:lol:

Good luck on your course

P.s You'll love this site its full of nice friendly people willing to help at any time

I'm addicted :lol:

Lisa1979 said:
Thats great advice Gigi, thank you. Being a complete nail virgin I was starting to panic!! Would you recommend doing as many courses as possible on all systems or just one course for each system? I know I will need to put plenty of practice in at home aswell with a nail trainer.

My honest opinion is that the thing that holds most people back from getting the best education they can, is money. Most wannabe tecnicians think that doing nails will be a breeze and see the cost of the education as being too much. [But the cost of excellent educationis never too much. What is too much is the cost of poor education. So choose the best you can afford, with a time frame that is realistic.]

They then find out that there is much more to becoming a professional than they thought ... not only do they have to learn huge mounts of information that they realize will take years of experience to absorb, but they have to come up to the mark skill wise, or they will not be able to compete with those in the marketplace who are making a great deal of money because they are the experts doing fantastic nails and providing a great service.

There are many at the top, many at the bottom and a huge number in the middle, of technicians doing 'OK' nails. They will get by ... just. However it is possible to make it to the top with dedication to furthering your education on a life-long basis ... partnering with a good distributor of excellent products who is as dedicated to your success as you are yourself, and who supports your further education.

So to answer your question, which I haven't given you yet is .... go ahead and dip your toe in the water. Then, do your homework regarding on-going training... find and partner up with with the people who can give it to you. Spend your money wisely, but be prepared to spend it, because there is no way to learn a profession, that is as potentially lucrative as nails, from experts, without having to pay for it. Take one course at a time concentrating on one system at a time ... don't confuse yourself by trying to do too much in too short a time ... "don't push the river"!

Ask others their opinions, but then look at the source and ask how long they have had a business, what kind of business and how successful they are before taking what they say at face value. Then make your decisions from a well informed position. I wish you the best of luck.

i agree with Geeg, you have to be prepared to put alot of time and effort into it, (including money) in order to get alot out of it. Try getting sample kits once you have done your training day so you can sample different products without having to buy full size kits that you may not get on with.

I have to say i've trained with Star Nails, but have tried EZ Flow and Creative Acrylic L&P. Its always good to try a few out, as what works for one doesn't always agree with others.

Be prepared to do on going training, but give yourself time in between to absorb the infomation and do lots of practise. Don't try cramming too much in other wise you won't take it all in and end up wasting your time and money. Stick with this site as i have found it a god send and a bible of infomation, this will certainly be a great help to you. Enjoy.:D

hi, i did my training with star nails which was a 4 day course with 2 weeks in between each training day and over the 2 weeks i found i always went in with loads of questions. i think after ur course you should try and get booked on a workshop to help you.
Also could anybody tell me what the l&p is iv never heard of that. thanks chloe xx

L&P is Liquid and Powder, it's probably what you used when training with Star unless you did the gel or fibreglass.

Latest posts

Back