New hair extensionist, please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie Smart

Reaction score
Hi all, I purchased a micro loop hair extension course through rapunzel hair academy. It was reduced to £99, and it's an online course. They sent me a huge booklet and a load of questions to answer, then I got all my kit through the post and a doll head to do my practical assessment on. I'm just awaiting my results and once I have my accredited certificate I am going to sort out my insurance, and I've got 4 of my friends lined up to pay for the hair and I am going to fit them for free.

I know how to install the micro loops, I also know how to install stick tips.

I have a lot of questions due to you can't really learn through reading and I've watched hundreds of YouTube videos! I done my practical assessment today on the doll and I've really got the hang of it but every hair stylist I ask for help either ignores me or doesn't answer the question properly!!

So here goes...

I struggle to work out how many packs somebody would need for their hair, could somebody give me some examples? For example somebody has shoulder length thick hair and wants extensions that are long and thick. How many packs would I need? What's the usual guideline to work on? Would they need about 200 strands e.g 10 packs ish?

If somebody had long hair and it was thin, but wanted it thick.. where abouts would I apply the extensions?

What is the actual pattern of applying extensions? I know you have to leave an inch away from the sides of the face so you don't see the extensions when putting he hair up. Is it in a V shape? So start from the nape of the neck upwards then around the front? In what instance wouldn't I do this pattern e.g if somebody didn't have loads of packs how would I figure out where to put the extensions and how many lines etc?

I don't understand the colours! They have like 10H etc .. if I get a colour wheel will it have these numbers on so I know what hair to purchase?

Who are the best suppliers? I have hunted everywhere!!

Also if I am only trained in micro loop method is this the only method I can do? I was told I can do itip stick tip and beaded methods so long as I get the tradesman insurance.. is this right? If so what insurance is best and what does it cover me for?

Thankyou all so much for taking the time reading I was out of options so appreciate anybody's help and answers, I know it sounds like I don't know a thing but I really do I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing! I really want to make a go of this and make sure I'm perfect at what I do and know all the ins and outs before I start. Thank you all in advance I really really appreciate it xx

Honestly.. this is all information that should of been on your course. Thats why online courses aren't recommended. You need to work on a live model.

Each supplier has a colour ring which you match to the clients hair. You don't need to understand the numbers as each supplier is different.

Search on here. There are hundreds of threads for hair extension suppliers and what insurance companies there are.

I would recommend you do a proper course and learn correct placement for each client requirement. Full head/half head volume as it doesn't sound like you are anywhere near ready to applying extensions to a person.

Itip and stick tip are the same. Fitted with either micros or mini locks.

As above, you really are better to go to a course in person, you'd be able to get answers to these questions and they are all questions which should have been covered on the course.

half a head is from 75-100 bonds,
3/4 125 bond, and full Head is generally up to 200. Unless the hair is super thick you shouldn't need to exceed 200.

Hi was going to order one of these rapunzels hair courses, after reading your post now i am really confused should is a good idea at all. Same like you i am just a beginner and i would really appreciante it if you share with me your opinion about their courses. Actually why you dont feel confident with your skills? And does they teach you on something? Or the better question is did you learn something from this online course? I am really confused because like i said i was planned to spend 100£ or even 200£ for some online training course, but now i just wondering is it a good idea at all. Thank you in advance

Honestly go for a course where you are there. Even as a qualified extensionist I would not do an online course even now. If you get stuck who can you speak to? If it's over the phone or by chat how can you be sure your reading the message right. They cannot see what you are doing or your technique installing the hair so how can you be confident you are doing it right?

Pay the extra and go to an actual course otherwise you'll end up having to pay again to do another course.

Honestly go for a course where you are there. Even as a qualified extensionist I would not do an online course even now. If you get stuck who can you speak to? If it's over the phone or by chat how can you be sure your reading the message right. They cannot see what you are doing or your technique installing the hair so how can you be confident you are doing it right?

Pay the extra and go to an actual course otherwise you'll end up having to pay again to do another course.
Yes you are right, but my budget is tight at the moment and I already practice on few clients and friends the LA weave , the micro weft and the tape ins methods and they are happy and come back again after one month ( yes maybe is because of the very very cheap price) but I just learning from my experience and my own mistakes and allways ask them for feedbacks after one two days and after one week again . I have training head aswell and practice each method and when i stuck somewhere just open youtube and watch out plenty videos, sort out few and just give special notice on their techniques and try do the same. In a few words self-learning. And now i have £200 and want to get certificated. ( just one little step closer to the profesionals)
I understand that you are not agree that this is the right way, but you have better idea ? Thank you in advance for your attention at all!

Everything your doing is good, and it's good that you are practicing. However there is nothing more valuable than getting the knowledge and the best way to do that is a course in person. It's not just about the installation, it's the aftercare, pricing, marketing, consultations, colour matching etc.

If your going to do something right it's not always a quick option. My advice would be to Keep practicing, save a bit more and book on a reputable course. Most courses are available for about £300 so your over halfway there.

Don't rush, or you could end up regretting it. However if you do decide online then You need to make sure the course you are doing is a recognised qualification. Some of the online ones aren't recognised and you will struggle to get insured.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just make sure you research the courses before signing up, there are lots of threads on here to search with peoples experiences and recommendations.

Everything your doing is good, and it's good that you are practicing. However there is nothing more valuable than getting the knowledge and the best way to do that is a course in person. It's not just about the installation, it's the aftercare, pricing, marketing, consultations, colour matching etc.

If your going to do something right it's not always a quick option. My advice would be to Keep practicing, save a bit more and book on a reputable course. Most courses are available for about £300 so your over halfway there.

Don't rush, or you could end up regretting it. However if you do decide online then You need to make sure the course you are doing is a recognised qualification. Some of the online ones aren't recognised and you will struggle to get insured.

Good luck with whatever you decide, just make sure you research the courses before signing up, there are lots of threads on here to search with peoples experiences and recommendations.
Thank you so much again

Latest posts

Back