New here, but have questions??? :>)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

artienails

Reaction score
Hi, I am an art teacher. I will be retiring in a few years, and I'm really thinking about becoming a nail artist , part-time for now, and doing it at my leisure after I retire. I'm in the USA, and I live in a very rural area. The closest college that offers a certified Nail Technician Course is an hour and a half away, and only offer it at night, four nights a week. Their day time summer course is set, so I can't take it, either, because I would have to start back teaching full time before the course would be over. My real questions are this, I guess....do you have to be "licensed" to trim and paint nails???? Also, does anyone know of a certified course I could take via the internet to get liscensure???? My state requires 350 hours of training from a "recognized" school before I can apply for the liscensure test. I researched a corespondence school in Canada and wrote my State Licensure Board...they said that it could count if the Country I took my training in required the same amount of hours as my State. Well, guess what, Canada doesn't have any regulations on Nail Techs. (The province where the school was located). Sorry if this is too long.... I'm just wanting some advice or knowledge from others...thanks in advance.. :D

hi there.

To the best of my knowledge, you are going to be stuck with doing 350 hours of schooling in order to take your state examinations (in order to do anything with nails).

Sounds a bit of a bummer for your circumstances... Sorry to be the bearer :(

I know this might be expensive, but couldn't you take a retirement holiday to England, do you course and then you would be certified? Just a wild guess that probably has thousands of cons, but I can't think of anything else. Sorry.

artienails said:
I researched a corespondence school in Canada and wrote my State Licensure Board...they said that it could count if the Country I took my training in required the same amount of hours as my State. Well, guess what, Canada doesn't have any regulations on Nail Techs. (The province where the school was located).

To clarify, there are several Canadian provinces which do license nail techs. I believe BC, Alberta, Manitoba and Nova Scotia and perhaps there are a few others. I am in Ontario and we do not have licensing - yet - hopefully it will come soon. My course was 390 hours. So if you read liberally between the lines of what you wrote, there are parts of this country that do license nail techs, so perhaps you can proceed with your correspondence course.

Out of curiosity, which correspondence school were you looking at?

that I had located anything in your profile that might have helped me created a visiulisation of whom you are.
OK. Look at some words used.... Licensed..... Certified..... Coorespondence....... Nail Art.
I wish to make some comments on them.
Licensed is what you need, licensed in YOUR state, not another state, not in Canada. You need a license in your state. What is your state, check out the yellow pages, IF you are in like Idaho, yes you are not going to locate many schools teaching nails. Look to the state community college systems in low population states.
Certify. A very fine nail product company called CND or Creative Nail Design is what people are speaking of when they advise take the courses and become certified. Unfortutely a certification as a MASTER NAIL TECH or whatever from a retirement vacation in the UK means very little to YOUR state cosmotology board. They will issue you a nail tech license after your pass a writtten and a praticial examination and the most easy way to be ALLOWED to take the examinaiton is to how graduated from a nail school in the same state that is approved by your state.
Nail Art. Your are going to have to be licensed as a Nail TECH in order to work as a Nail ARTIST.
The best advice I think I gave you is to research in the state community college system and of course you should be contacting your states cosmotology regulation and enforcement division in your state capital.

I live in Alberta and you do not have to be licensed to work as a nail tech in this province. Anyone can hang out a shingle and do nails, esthetics or waxing but you must be licensed to cut hair.

LuLu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back