New John Lewis advert

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I just saw it too.....another heartbreaker and great marketing!

I just watched it from a Facebook link. Maybe I'm a bit thick but I had to google the meaning and found its meant to be about awareness of elderly lonely people at Christmas.

I didn't know that when I watched it first and as I'm facing the second Christmas now without my dear Mum who died last October, it had me in floods and I was really upset. :(

Did you all get the meaning straight away or am I just super-sensitive ATM? x

I didn't get the meaning either until I googled it. I thought it was about missing a loved one at Christmas too until I read the meaning. I don't like it as I'll cry every time I see it :( x

OMG I'm in tears! They don't do a bad christmas ad!

Been a bitof uproar with oasis fans with this one

I think it's beautiful! And the fact they teamed up with Age UK to raise awareness is wonderful - to many old people being left feeling lonely, they deserve more!! Xx

Omg! Floods! I'm so freaking emotional all the time.

Do all the John Lewis adds have meanings?

Why has there been an uproar with Oasis fans?

Why has there been an uproar with Oasis fans?
Because it was an Oasis track that Aurora covered and they think she crucified it....i personally think she did a good job of it, but I like her voice and think it's perfect for the theme of the advert

On the note of the advert.. Yet again John Lewis sent the nation into emotional wrecks lol... Beautiful advert

Last edited:
Basically the message is 'spend **** loads in John Lewis this christmas' but in a poignant manner[emoji4]

No really though it is a lovely advert.

My friends daughter was in this advert X

How is it lovely though?

I must be missing something.

I know it's about the elderly being alone and feeling isolated at Christnas (364 other days are available) but basically at the end the old guys still alone and miserable altho now better able to see what he's missing. ?

Loneliness is a very real issue which they're obviously trying to highlight but I'm failing to see why the ad is "lovely"

It's not just about being alone, it's also an advert to sell John Lewis too (they've had a demand for telescopes ever since it aired)!!!!

Lovely because a young child sees someone alone and tries different ways to befriend him...... she goes the extra mile to find him a perfect gift (the sales bit). His tear at the end shows how touched he is by someone taking the time to befriend him (the AgeUK bit).

Failing that, read the Stuart Heritage article and see it as Moon Hitler [emoji23]

It's not just about being alone, it's also an advert to sell John Lewis too (they've had a demand for telescopes ever since it aired)!!!!

Lovely because a young child sees someone alone and tries different ways to befriend him...... she goes the extra mile to find him a perfect gift (the sales bit). His tear at the end shows how touched he is by someone taking the time to befriend him (the AgeUK bit).

Failing that, read the Stuart Heritage article and see it as Moon Hitler [emoji23]

Precisely that.

Its the child's act of kindness thats lovely, see the bigger picture its not just an advert.

Well this advert really sparked something with me and the family even my OH who is the most miserable unsociable and not very empathetic person got choked ....I have rang our local age concern and asked if I could go and visit and if there's a lonely person this Christmas that would like to take the offer they can come to us Christmas Day for dinner and spend the day with us and hopefully all going well we will continue to visit etc and arrange days out X

Last edited:
Well this advert really sparked something with me and the family even my OH who is the most miserable unsociable and not very empathetic person got choked ....I have rang our local age concern and asked if I could go and visit and if there's a lonely person this Christmas that would like to take the offer they can come to us Christmas Day for dinner and spend the day with us and hopefully all going well we will continue to visit etc and arrange days out X
That's really lovely. Well done :)

Omg what a beautiful wonderful thing to do for someone! I got a lump in my throat reading that. Always get so sad at Christmas seeing anyone buying the bisto (or any make) Christmas dinners for one! Must be horrible to be on your own especially at Christmas. The advert gave me goosebumps I love all their adverts!! Xx

I can't help everyone but If I can help one I've done a bit.....I know how my nan felt when she lost my grandad after them being together over 60 yrs and she had a huge family to support her so somebody who has no one breaks my heart ....got a meeting with the coordinator next week have to fill out some forms etc....she said that they have never placed anyone for Christmas before they only have befriending days where you can offer to take people out etc but she is excited as we are that hopefully this will work and catch on ....x

Latest posts

Back