New member looking for advice on training .

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adeleyxo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am a new member on here and not too sure if this is the right place to put this but if not sorry.

I joined this site to see if anyone could help me in my training situation as everytime I seem to search on google this site comes up and helps me alot.

I am currently unemployed and have decided to take up a new career in nails. The only problem being I am not trained and simply cannot afford the courses at my local colleges, as well as most courses not starting til September. Whilst searching on google I have come across govenrment funded courses and training courses which are free but once on the websites cannot find a thing.

I was wondering if anybody could reccomend any training courses in hertfordshire/bedfordshire/essex/london area which are free and give you a qualification at the end. I have enrolled for a nail care course at my local college but you do not get a qualification at the end.

I know for most nail technician courses you have to have manicure level 2 but can't seem to find them anywhere? I am interested in manicure, technincal, treatments and art, and hope to become a mobile technician in the future.

I am 19 and very willing to do whatever it takes to make this career change happen as I am hard working and enthusiastic.

The only other way I can think of getting into the buisness would be through an apprenticeship, but again cannot find one, so if anyone knows anyone who would be willing to help me out or would be willing to help me out themselves I am very willing to learn the trade whilst helping you out in any way.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out in anyway possible as I am trying very hard to find a solution to get started asap.

Adele xx

Hi, welcome to the site.

To be honest i would be very surprised if you will find "good" training for free.

If it was me I would start saving for a good training course...I personally recommend product/company training...mine was with Creative.

Yes, I also trained with creative and would certainly recommend them. You get what you pay for. Lisa

Have you spoken to your job centre? I have had quite a few students recently who have obtained funding to pay for their course and in some cases all their start up equipment also. You are also young enough to qualify for things like Princes Trust etc.

I'm sure you will be able to get help with this. Contact Princes Trust, Business Link and your Job Centre advisor in the first instance. If they can't help you, they will certainly be able to offer good advice.

Best of luck

Joy

It always strikes me as a little strange why more people do not borrow the money they need and get the best training they can, Right from the Start!!

After a GOOD course you can immediately start to make a little money while practicing and start to repay the lender from the 'get go'. A little for you and little for them on a business like basis every month.

I found when I was young that borrowing was very motivating. I'd rather die than not pay someone back, so it motivated me to be the best and to do my best to see that I did that.

My dad lent me the money for my first car .. I worked my ass off to pay him back (with interest) in 2 years. Same with my first guitar when I was 13 ... he lent me the money and I did all sorts of jobs for him until I had repaid it. In this way he taught me to respect both money and what people did to help me and I have never forgotten it.

He always had a little book and we marked off the payments in that until it was paid .. he always charged me a little interest to make it business like and to teach me how the real world operated he explained everything ... I was so grateful to get the help and never resented the interest because he had made all things possible for me.

Borrow what you need if necessary from a family member. Sign a repayment schedule and get on with what you want to do. Approach your lender in a businesslike way and I bet you wont have any trouble getting what you want.
The number for CND training is 0845 2106060 .. you couldn't make a better investment in your future.

Have you actually spoken to the local colleges? The one I did my beauty therapy at offered funding for people taking their first Level 2 (NVQ) qualification, with grants available for equipment for people on qualifying benefits or with income under a certain amount.

The only thing is - if you go to college full time do you not lose out on your unemployment benefit (I've got no idea on this) as you're in education?

Thanks for your advice everyone, I have since contacted princes trust and I am waiting to hear, Have spoke numerous times to jobcentre but they do not seem to help and since I have a level 2 already cannot get any courses free through my local colleges. I am unemployed so borrowing money would be out of the question as I would have no means of paying back until I had a job which is very hard at this moment in time.
Thanks anyways
x

I understand not being able to borrow the money, been there and got the tshirt. My advice would be to try and gain employment doing anything, maybe its something you dont really want to do but a few months working and saving part of it would pay for good training.

If its only going to be for a few months then its not going to be a killer. I wiped bums for years as an auxiliary nurse (5 years ago), worked of 3 different companies and pulled 24 hour shifts to pay for my house, I didnt have a choice. There is always a way if you want or need something bad enough.

Latest posts

Back