New method of speeding up a facial from 1st August?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosieR

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello lovely fellow geeks.
I am pondering how on earth we are to perform a facial with the guidelines set out regarding "Circling client and not being stationary for long periods "?
Mmmmm isn't that what we have to do to carry out a facial !
Not sure if my arms are long enough either. Can anyone remember the toy Stretch Armstrong? Ha ha.
A few suggestions would be most welcome.
RosieR

Hello lovely fellow geeks.
I am pondering how on earth we are to perform a facial with the guidelines set out regarding "Circling client and not being stationary for long periods "?
Mmmmm isn't that what we have to do to carry out a facial !
Not sure if my arms are long enough either. Can anyone remember the toy Stretch Armstrong? Ha ha.
A few suggestions would be most welcome.
RosieR
LOL, wouldn’t it be nice to be like stretch Armstrong in this current situation!!
I honestly have no idea how facials can be done with the current guidelines, & now the guidelines have changed to strongly encourage clients to wear face coverings as well, they obviously feel that treatments on the face are still unsafe to do regardless of opening them up again on Saturday. Rather hard to perform a facial with the client wearing a mask!
Unless we all just stick to 30 minute express facials i’m stumped.
I also think a client would be not too happy with booking an hour facial then we slap on a bit of cleanser, run around them for a few minutes so we’re not standing in one place, 2 minute massage, run around again then moisturiser etc hehe then we’re finished in 20 minutes all for the sake of speeding the facial up.
I don’t do that many facials, I have one client who has Parkinson’s so has trouble with treating her face so has regular facials. I think I have decided to not do them for a while, will disappoint her but a facial is supposed to be a relaxing, rejuvenating experience.
Oh, also would like to point out, the guidelines about circling the client etc are not official guidelines from the government but suggested guidelines from the NHBF, a federation for Hair & beauty....thought they would have understood the industry better! :rolleyes:
Would be interesting though to hear ideas if anyone has any :)

I think what they mean is that we can no longer sit ourselves comfortably at the head of the couch, with everything we need, within arms reach. We should also imagine that there is a Perspex screen vertically placed at the end of the couch and not lean over the client

We probably need to stand and should think about raising the couch height and providing a client step stool. I keep my products behind me (narrow room) and I sit on a roller chair and scoot around the couch so I’m used to turning away from the client during service. I’ll have my stool handy and I’ll experiment to see which creates more social distance.

I haven’t practised yet, my thoughts are that I should ask clients to arrive with minimal make-up, or remove their own, before getting on to the couch. I’m think that when I’m cleansing the eyelids I probably need to stand beside the client, as I imagine that otherwise I’ll be hunching over the clients face.

I use hot towels rather than a steamer and I can do a hot towel compress whilst standing beside the client

I’m going to be using products that are easier to remove - I won’t be using scrubs with annoying bits. I’ll be using peel off masks, or applying masks over gauze to speed up removal. Luckily most of my products aren’t messy.

I’m not offering all my facials straightaway. I’m starting off with one which has a very short and simple lymph drainage massage which I can easily do standing to the side

Massage routines will need to be modified if you normally do a 20 minute massage over the face and décolletage. There’s no reason why we can’t stand to the side and massage one side and then the other to sweep over the neck, shoulders décolletage and tops of the arms. We’ll just need to be a bit creative. I might try getting the client to roll on their side to do this so I can also massage across the back of their shoulders and really get in under the neck. I’ll trial one side, followed by facial work with the client lying supine, followed by the other side.

You can do an amazing facial in 45 mins. It’s about using the time efficiently, creating a sensory journey from the start and using good products.

If we are confident and reassuring our clients will love it.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am also thinking of speedy products that act quickly. I am more concerned for the electrical facials as they are my most wanted. Some courses are part way through sadly.
I do stand for the cleanse part and move to one side to get my products/hot flannels etc.
I can do a quick lymph drainage with my equipment, and as the probes are quite long there will be no need to touch the face and can do it behind my inspection light . (switched off)
I am thinking of using my inspection light and adding a redundant face shield to the top of it to provide an additional barrier. It's work in progress. Having the angle poise I can get my arm beneath it. perhaps it won't work in practise! lol
I have only 2 facials booked next week , unfortunately they will be thinking that it will be the same as before . Err I don't think so ladies, nothing is going to be the same for a long while.
Thanks again

I’m not so worried about electrical facials because I usually stand to the side anyway. Circling the couch will be straightforward. Add something that’s new, like a hot mitt foot rub and massage (Some clients hate having their feet touched so check first). Clients love novelty and “free” stuff. You can add ampoules to your service or a choice of masks. Ask clients to choose in advance.

I greet my massage clients by telling them how lucky we are to be emerging from lockdown after other countries have returned to work. I tell them that I’ve been training in the new (massage) protocols during lockdown and the feedback from clients and therapists in other countries has been so positive that therapists aren’t planning to change back.

I’m going to do something similar for facials. I’m going to be honest and say that these are new protocols but that I’m very excited because I think they’ll be better than before. I’m going to say that it’s ridiculous to pay someone to spend 7 minutes taking off your make up with little circle movements over the skin - it feels lovely, but we should be doing things which make a difference to your skin.

I’m going to do a bit of education, so if I get my client to roll on their side for their facial, I’ll explain (beforehand) that most of the lungs are on the back, so when we lie supine we compress our lungs. Facial Massage is trying to bring the benefits of oxygenated blood into the face and we can get better results if the lungs aren’t compressed.

It will be very interesting to see what these facial guidelines say once they are actually revealed. There is so much speculation going around it drives me bonkers, especially the ones who jump on a post because it doesn't agree with their scaremongering ideas!! :mad: I've stopped commenting, just read, sigh and scroll on...

I think steam facials should definitely be off the menu because of vaporising droplets from the client's breath to the whole room and therefore to the therapist.

Who knows what will happen, it could be nothing more than we currently do or it could be the full HazMat suit with piped air.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I think what they mean is that we can no longer sit ourselves comfortably at the head of the couch, with everything we need, within arms reach. We should also imagine that there is a Perspex screen vertically placed at the end of the couch and not lean over the client

We probably need to stand and should think about raising the couch height and providing a client step stool. I keep my products behind me (narrow room) and I sit on a roller chair and scoot around the couch so I’m used to turning away from the client during service. I’ll have my stool handy and I’ll experiment to see which creates more social distance.

I haven’t practised yet, my thoughts are that I should ask clients to arrive with minimal make-up, or remove their own, before getting on to the couch. I’m think that when I’m cleansing the eyelids I probably need to stand beside the client, as I imagine that otherwise I’ll be hunching over the clients face.

I use hot towels rather than a steamer and I can do a hot towel compress whilst standing beside the client

I’m going to be using products that are easier to remove - I won’t be using scrubs with annoying bits. I’ll be using peel off masks, or applying masks over gauze to speed up removal. Luckily most of my products aren’t messy.

I’m not offering all my facials straightaway. I’m starting off with one which has a very short and simple lymph drainage massage which I can easily do standing to the side

Massage routines will need to be modified if you normally do a 20 minute massage over the face and décolletage. There’s no reason why we can’t stand to the side and massage one side and then the other to sweep over the neck, shoulders décolletage and tops of the arms. We’ll just need to be a bit creative. I might try getting the client to roll on their side to do this so I can also massage across the back of their shoulders and really get in under the neck. I’ll trial one side, followed by facial work with the client lying supine, followed by the other side.

You can do an amazing facial in 45 mins. It’s about using the time efficiently, creating a sensory journey from the start and using good products.

If we are confident and reassuring our clients will love it.
Nice ideas in both your posts.