New nail model seeking advice from techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail model 1

Nail Model not nail tech
Reaction score
i started nail and foot modeling this summer in NYC. I answered an ad from a nail tech seeking to do a full set of men's clear gels for her social media advertising to expand her business . They came out great and she asked if I would help her with future projects since I had slender fingers and good nail beds and my nails could be gender neutral. I agreed and we followed up with a session for a full set of acrylics with designs followed by an concept session where she experimented with aquarium and gem nails. My hands looked great and she referred me to some other techs. I was wondering if their is any market for practice or portfolio models I have a full time job and seek to do this part time. I do the 1st session free up to 4 hours with a photo release and charge 10 U.S. Dollars an hour for additional sessions. I have done work for social media nail tech portfolios and student portfolios I was wondering if u had any suggestions on where and how to advertise to get more work.? Do u know if any demand for this service? I am willing to model for male or female hands provide sample pics and I am open to anything drill work is ok too..any ideas are appreciated Thank you for your feedback

Hi, welcome to the board, we are predominently UK techs on this board so you might get more replies later when our Stateside friends come on line.

With regard to your services, I can see a market but probably not hugely. There are often requests for models for training courses, and competitions but it's a bit hit and miss. Usually someone will take a model to training who is a friend/family/peer so follow up issues can be monitored, plus it can be easier to work on someone you know when you're starting out and lacking in confidence. Requests only tend to come if that model drops out for any reason, and that can often be last minute so I don't know how that would work with your full time employment.

Competitions wise, I suspect you could be in demand but sadly you can only really do one a day as the competitor would need you for nearly the whole day with prep, application, judging, presentations, etc. I believe some competitors will pay models for their time/accomodation/etc. So not a massively lucrative occupation. There are not many competitions, mostly Nailympics annual, and a few at trade conventions. You might get some further information if you made contact with a local nail school/acadamy (not sure what you call them in the US). They may be able to put you in touch with needy techs.

Good luck with your endeavour, it sounds like you could be really helpful to someone once you can find a route in :D

Hi, welcome to the board, we are predominently UK techs on this board so you might get more replies later when our Stateside friends come on line.

With regard to your services, I can see a market but probably not hugely. There are often requests for models for training courses, and competitions but it's a bit hit and miss. Usually someone will take a model to training who is a friend/family/peer so follow up issues can be monitored, plus it can be easier to work on someone you know when you're starting out and lacking in confidence. Requests only tend to come if that model drops out for any reason, and that can often be last minute so I don't know how that would work with your full time employment.

Competitions wise, I suspect you could be in demand but sadly you can only really do one a day as the competitor would need you for nearly the whole day with prep, application, judging, presentations, etc. I believe some competitors will pay models for their time/accomodation/etc. So not a massively lucrative occupation. There are not many competitions, mostly Nailympics annual, and a few at trade conventions. You might get some further information if you made contact with a local nail school/acadamy (not sure what you call them in the US). They may be able to put you in touch with needy techs.

Good luck with your endeavour, it sounds like you could be really helpful to someone once you can find a route in :D

Thank you so much for your kind advice I do have a flexible schedule in Spring and summer where I can get off during the day. I would be fine doing it here and there not looking 4 a career but I was amazed at the creativity and talent that some of these artist possess and I have met some great people in the process. I am definitely open to competition or practice sessions as well. The 1st tech I worked with liked that I could sit 4 six hours while she did her thing and she was able to get 2 male 2 female looks in one session. If I am ever in the UK and can be of help I am at your service free of charge. Have a great day

Thank you so much for your kind advice I do have a flexible schedule in Spring and summer where I can get off during the day. I would be fine doing it here and there not looking 4 a career but I was amazed at the creativity and talent that some of these artist possess and I have met some great people in the process. I am definitely open to competition or practice sessions as well. The 1st tech I worked with liked that I could sit 4 six hours while she did her thing and she was able to get 2 male 2 female looks in one session. If I am ever in the UK and can be of help I am at your service free of charge. Have a great day

Have a google for Nailympics images and details, it was held in Las Vegas a few years ago, and more recently London I think, I'm not into competition but am always blown away by the skill and imagination, especially the fantasy category which can include costumes and make-up and hair. There may even be a contact on the website.

Have a google for Nailympics images and details, it was held in Las Vegas a few years ago, and more recently London I think, I'm not into competition but am always blown away by the skill and imagination, especially the fantasy category which can include costumes and make-up and hair. There may even be a contact on the website.
Thanks again will do if you know any techs looking in the states have them contact me.

Latest posts

Back