New nail tech, advice wanted

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbug86

Reaction score
Hi!

I am beginning my course to become a nail technician in September. I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the best website to buy what I need to start. My course does come with a kit included but I would like to purchase some extras, such as a training hand. Also, what systems (gel and acrylic) do you find best? Any advice for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Starbug86,

I would say Ellisons are great for general suppliers. For products, it would depend on what brand you are going to be using. I am using Hard Gel for extensions as I will be mobile and I don’t want my clients properties to be full of fumes. I would say it depends on your situation as well as what you may prefer if you are training in both?

Good luck with your training [emoji256]

Hannah

Read the threads it’s all here. Good luck.

I would recommend you buy the same brand as the one you are getting in your kit. All systems work differently, they feel and apply differently when working with them. You want to train with one brand until you get the hang of things. Good luck in your course.

Hi!

I am beginning my course to become a nail technician in September. I was wondering if anyone can advise me on the best website to buy what I need to start. My course does come with a kit included but I would like to purchase some extras, such as a training hand. Also, what systems (gel and acrylic) do you find best? Any advice for a beginner would be greatly appreciated.

If I was you and I was just starting I would most definitely make sure that u have made a connection with all of your clients because it’s a must that they are gonna wanna sit and chat with there nail tech as they are getting glammed up but yea I would say that and also make your desk or whatever working area make sure it looks presentable and make your clients feel welcomed but also u can treat your clients with drink or a sample of food but again some people may think I’m extra for this but I I really think think it’s something that will help your client fell very welcome amen comfortable and this will give them a signal that they need to keep coming to u.

I would suggest you try out as many brands as possible before committing to a single brand and buying. Everyone has their own preferences and niches of clients. A lot of brands offer sample sized portions of their products.

I would suggest you try out as many brands as possible before committing to a single brand and buying. Everyone has their own preferences and niches of clients. A lot of brands offer sample sized portions of their products.
Rather than trying as many brands as possible I think it's probably a better idea to do as much research as possible beforehand and narrow your choice down to 2 or 3 brands to try. It's expensive buying lots of different bottles to try as you'd need to use the matching base and top coat to get an accurate result and then of course there's the curing issue of using the wrong lamp.

I would definitely recommend buying a professional only brand that is manufactured in the EU/USA. So that will be a brand that requires you to provide proof that you are qualified, or in some cases, a student.

Look for a brand that sells its own lamp and doesn't just suggest using any
lamp of a certain wattage.

A brand that offers a good level of education in product training is another pointer.

There are a small number of brands that offer hypoallergenic and HEMA free ranges. Read up about them to decide if that is important to you as well.

In the meantime, stick with the kit you get on your course and perfect your technique with that because it'll be confusing if you chop and change too much in the beginning. You might actually love the products you train with.

As a newbie myself, depending on self control (I have none...), I would advice you to be a bit cautious with purchases in the beginning, until you feel certain if you want to continue working with the same system in the future. I went ahead of myself and bought a lot of products from the system I trained with, only to discover I actually didn’t like them at all XD

I changed it very quick after my exam and found that helpful in the way that I could set up my routine straight away around my new system as they all work a bit differently. With that being said, I was unhappy with my previous products for several reasons. If you enjoy the system you train in, I see little reason to change it ☺️

As for practice hands etc, they have quite a lot of options on wish for example. Not sure about the quality of them, but as they are for practice maybe they don’t need to be top notch ☺️

Good luck with your training!

Latest posts

Back