New nail tech, gel polish pricing help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I hope you are all well.

I am just starting up my new at home/mobile nail business. I am trying to arrange my prices at the moment, but one is confusing me in particular.
I am thinking to offer acrylic and gel extensions for £30 including gem designs. Does it seem right for me to include gel polish within this price, or should there be an extra charge ontop for that?

I am trying to be fair with pricing. I don't want to be so cheap that it will be hard to increase my prices in future, but I don't want to be so expensive that I don't get many clients. Admittedly, I am a new tech and want to get it right.
Thanks in advance for any advice.

I charge a different price for natural nails ( extensions but no colour ) and then for nails with colour . An extra £6.00 to be precise . You need to look at salons around you . Try and get a hold of some price lists and then set accordingly You need price for natural with extensions , extensions with colour and then most places price nail art / gems separately to that :) You are right not to go too cheap as will be hard to increase prices later . What you can do to get the ball rolling is to set your prices where you want them to be and then do 'offers ' such as During June 10% off your first appointment or whatever offer you want to do . recommend a friend and get £5.00 for both you and your friend etc

You need to work out exactly what your costs are. Your cost per service, all sundries, your rent for when you work at home, your travel costs for when you are mobile, your phone costs, equipment, electricity, advertising, training, and how much you would like to earn. Will you be offering drinks? Loyalty cards? (need to be calculated into your price too)
These are just from the top of my head. Look into it properly rather than seeing what others in your area are charging. How do you know if they are making a profit? Perhaps they don't need to work. My closest nail tech charges £10. I charge £28 and am fully booked.
Do you need to earn a living from what you do? It's all relative

Thank you both for your points. It's given me some more to consider.
Yes perfect10kb, I was thinking of doing special offers too, 20% off first service etc. Good idea to get noticed. I notice that many of the shop salons around here tend to just use nail polish on the extensions, and the price lists reflect that. I was thinking of offering the gel polish for £5 extra, or something like that.

You've listed several factors that I hadn't considered ch-ela. I will sit down and take it all into account with my pricing. I quite like the idea of perhaps incorporating a loyalty card into my service in the future.
And yes, this will be my main source of income, so I understand that I need to get it right to make it worthwhile.

Thank you both for your points. It's given me some more to consider.
Yes perfect10kb, I was thinking of doing special offers too, 20% off first service etc. Good idea to get noticed. I notice that many of the shop salons around here tend to just use nail polish on the extensions, and the price lists reflect that. I was thinking of offering the gel polish for £5 extra, or something like that.

You've listed several factors that I hadn't considered ch-ela. I will sit down and take it all into account with my pricing. I quite like the idea of perhaps incorporating a loyalty card into my service in the future.
And yes, this will be my main source of income, so I understand that I need to get it right to make it worthwhile.
Pop some figures on here if you need more help. Ask your suppliers for the cost per service, they already have these figures to hand.

Latest posts

Back