New nail tech questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willdoughty

Reaction score
Hi there! I’m a makeup artist now learning to do nails.

Should I use a new hand file with every appointment?

I primarily work doing Gel full sets so I do a lot of hand filing with a 180 grit. Should my file feel so dull after each appointment? I feel like I need to use a fresh file with each appointment

Also do you recommend any hand files? What grits should I be using?

It’s good practice to use a new one per customer, I’ve got a few I use for myself though that I’ve had for quite a while!
I really like the zebra files from salon services (or Capital) they seem to last better! Or the 100/180 boomerang files from salon services too - the 100 side means you can take down unwanted product in certain areas a little easier!

You could also store files for each loyal client in individual personal boxes as long as you file on healthy nails.
With regards to grit, it depends what your training course recommends, although if you are working with hard gels, a 100 grit is more than enough to remove product as gels are softer than acrylics. Use a 150 or 180 grit to shape and bevel. With regards to dulling, a good file should last several appointments. Make sure you wipe off the gel interface layer after curing and then file. Salon services files are good, but I also like nail harmony files.

Latest posts

Back