New Nail Tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerbel

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Im a new Nail Tech. Bout 3 or 4 months!!! Well since May!! Ive done a good few people hands not a huge amount but a good few by my book.
Anyway I did a friends last night and I asked her today how she got on? Were they ok? She said two of them were lifting.
I didnt do any different from what I do usually, I know you cant tell me what I did do wrong but maybe advise me about how not to do it again? :cry:

This hasnt happened to me with anyone else before!!!!!!!!

I feel its a huge set back to be honest as I pride myself on good work. A client should always get what they pay for and not dodgy nails!!!

I was also wondering if she was on anti botics would this have anything to do with the lifting?? ( or am I clutching at straws?)

Sorry its so long but thanks in advance for answering

Hi Im not an expert in this area but I have read a few threads regarding medication to cause lifing so I think that could possibily be a big reason, Dont get annoyed with your self practice makes perfect and they say rome wasnt built in a day so chin up by the sounds of it your doing a great job be proud :green:

Maybe a geek with more experiance can confirm about the antibiotics:hug:

Laura xxxxx

hi dont get stressed it could be number of things such as
your prep might not be correct
l&p could be to thick
l&p to close to soft tissue
i am also new to nails and found that once i had completed my vtct and started work as a nail tech i came a cross this problem so i had a one to one skill building course and found it really usefull picked up loads of great tipps ,good luck

hi dont get stressed it could be number of things such as
your prep might not be correct
l&p could be to thick
l&p to close to soft tissue
i am also new to nails and found that once i had completed my vtct and started work as a nail tech i came a cross this problem so i had a one to one skill building course and found it really usefull picked up loads of great tipps ,good luck

lol thanks for ur comment but its gel not l&p my bad i should have said that

lol thanks for ur comment but its gel not l&p my bad i should have said that
Most lifting causes of L&P & gel are the same, with the exception of mix ratio (only applies to L&P) and applying a bonding layer (for gel), that's the only differences I can think of at the moment.

I think the most likely causes would be either your prep, there may have still been some cuticle left on the nail plate, or touching the skin with your gel.

You are still very new to nails so will have some problems along the way.

Believe me, i have been doing this for over 3 and 1/2 years, but there are times i get complacent a little, where i haven't had any problems for ages, then all of a sudden i do.

This can be due to your client picking and not saying anything, it could be to just a very small thing you may not be doing as well as you did in the beginning, but it can cause problems. I say this because i was fine for ages, then for some reason, i actually started to over prime, which will cause lift.

It sometimes takes someone else to see what you are doing to let you know you may be missing a minor detail, but this will give you problems you didn;t have previously.

They say it takes around 50 full sets to really get to grips with doing nails, then you need to do 50 more to really get good, it is all down to experience and practise, nothing helps you more than this. Good luck hun.

I wouldnt worry about it chick, you are very new to it, and all techs have clients that have lifting sometimes even if they have been doing it years! It could be down to prep, gel touching sides etc etc....but it could also be down to the client not looking after them correctly - picking, chewing them, using them to open boxes etc etc.....:) We all automatically blame ourselves, but it isnt always us!!:hug:

:| dont worry !!
You sound as thow you are doing great anyway , But i have had this problem too ive done family and customers who are very pleased no lifting then someone whos are very lifted etc who didnt tell me at the consultation she was on antibiotics !!
Ive got l@p on my own nails and im currently on antibiotics and my friend does mine and they are lifting if that makes you feel any better .

chin up keep up the good work babe

much love
paula tips to toes totalnailcare :hug:

Everybody's body reacts differently to different medications, I have just finished a 7 day course of antibiotics, plus all the meds from major surgery and my nails haven't lifted.
Seeing as you are a very new tech there is a high likelihood that it is incorrect prep that is causing the lifting. You could do double prep to make sure that you have removed all the cuticle/non living tissue from the nail plate. I use this method with some of my clients that are prone to lifting, infact my best mate has what I call mutant cuticle, I always do double cuticle removal with her, since doing that we have not had a problem with any lifting.

Latest posts

Back