New nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,
I became certified last July and I'm having some issues:rolleyes: Timing s...l...o...w!! I am trained on CND brisa gels, brisa lite and Shellac. Will be taking another training shortly on Akzentz gels (produced in Canada). I am trying to use forms instead of tips and it takes forever to sculpt. People say my nails look nice, but after watching a ton of Youtube vids and looking at all the amazing work on Instagram, I'm so not at that level. I try and practice daily but seem to be going no where fast! Any advice out there? I've booked a 1:1 training for next week with my CND rep. I'm hoping she can help. After taking the Shellac Pro course, everything seemed good with Shellac application. Nails were lasting 2 weeks+ ..then suddenly every set was chipping, streaking..you name it:( I called CND, followed all the tutorials and no improvement. I came across this site and joined after reading a thread on Shellac. I followed one of the posters advice about not pressing the brush too hard and letting the colour 'float' on the nail. I applied the colour very thinly. I was having major problems with Romantique and Negligee. After reading here, I tried with Blush Teddy and I can actually see an improvement!
Anyway, sorry for such a long post. Also having trouble mastering nail shapes. Any help/suggestions/tips would be so appreciated. This is a second career (I'm a retired college prof) and I hope I've made the right decision!!! I LOVE nails and I'm slowly learning some nail art too. :)

Slow down missy.
Focus on one thing at a time. Your biggest problem is most likely yourself! That seems like a lot of pressure to put on yourself.

Firstly forget about timings altogether. The only thing that will improve timings is practise and the best way to.ensure you muck up or go slower os to clock watch or obsess over it. Forget about it. Itll come wuicker naturally if you just focus on each set as it comes.

Now colours im not trained in shellac but i have trouble with some colours too. I dont know if CND recommend rolling or stirring the polish. Mine do and it does wonders for the application. I particularly struggle with pastels and white and a good stir makes it easier but again its just practise.

Get some cheap stick ons if you dont have anything to practise on and practise painting them.

Nail shapes tbh i gound youtube good for watching people do it. Its a good idea to gind ones that match how your trainer says to do it so youre not deviating from the professional advice but youre getting to see someonr do it. I could not understand what people meant by angling the file when filing around the cuticle area until i saw someone do it. Then it made perfect sense

Latest posts

Back