New price list + new salon + new area of the city = headache!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all
Me .....again!

Ok so im opening a salon yayyy! But i wondered what your takes are on price brackets?

I have recently come from a salon in a working class area of Birmingham charging £60 for foils including a cut & finish +£10 if toned.

I have clients from all walks of life and love that. But its come to my attention im too cheap! Im moving near 3 salons
1st salon ) closest to me charges around the same but are never really busy - established 5+ years.

2nd salon ) charges similar price for colour (£50/60) but ontop charges for the cut and finish (£40/50) or blowdry (£30/40) very busy , great rep, in area 10 years

3rd salon) charges very similar to 2nd salon, busy and established 2 years

So what do i do with my current prices up them by 5% (like i initially wanted ) or charge for the cut / blow separate?

Then what do i do so that my current clients don't feel penalised by the move (i was thinking of giving them a card only they could use which was kindof like a loyalty discount card)

This is my take on it from a customers point of view:
If you are priced too cheap - surely this begs the question, why are they so cheap/ are they good enough?

Too high and clients run.....or say whoooooah how much??!

Please help opinions / guidance / knowledge nuggets? X

Last edited:
I would do it a few pound under and when they see how good u are and u have then comming bk put your prices up x

Rather than pick a price out of the hat for your services have you worked out your total occupancy cost for the business each month?

When I opened my salon I took into account other salons prices to get a good idea, I'm not the most competitive with my prices but I'm certainly busy and covering my costs.

My clients from my last salon are paying alot more than they were before I opened up but I have found because it is my own business they are alot more supportive and are happy to pay.

On the negative side I have lost a alot too because hey can't afford me now but I have gained just as many new ones.

I agree with you, if your out yourself too Cheap you will scare people off because they don't trust you because they will be sceptical of the price.

I know how you feel about wanting to keep your loyal customers but I would advise that you have a think about giving them a cheaper price as you don't want to begrudge them in the future when you know you can be booking somebody else in who will pay alot more.

When I opened I offered a blanket 10% off for 3 weeks and it worked well to get new and old to come into the salon.

Hi all
Me .....again!

Ok so im opening a salon yayyy! But i wondered what your takes are on price brackets?

I have recently come from a salon in a working class area of Birmingham charging £60 for foils including a cut & finish +£10 if toned.

I have clients from all walks of life and love that. But its come to my attention im too cheap! Im moving near 3 salons
1st salon ) closest to me charges around the same but are never really busy - established 5+ years.

2nd salon ) charges similar price for colour (£50/60) but ontop charges for the cut and finish (£40/50) or blowdry (£30/40) very busy , great rep, in area 10 years

3rd salon) charges very similar to 2nd salon, busy and established 2 years

So what do i do with my current prices up them by 5% (like i initially wanted ) or charge for the cut / blow separate?

Then what do i do so that my current clients don't feel penalised by the move (i was thinking of giving them a card only they could use which was kindof like a loyalty discount card)

This is my take on it from a customers point of view:
If you are priced too cheap - surely this begs the question, why are they so cheap/ are they good enough?

Too high and clients run.....or say whoooooah how much??!

Please help opinions / guidance / knowledge nuggets? X

Hi there,
Thanks for this thread - I'm in a very similar position.

I've been toooo cheap, as the last owner of my present salon was stuck in the seventies, and I'd come from my 'Home studio' and didn't feel I could charge the same as a salon! :(

When I open my new biz, I NEED to charge my worth.
Easier said than done, especially with regard my 'bread & butter' clients.

I have thought of giving my old clients a loyalty card, but at some point they too will need to pay more, as these client's are very indulged time wise.

They came to expect it long ago, as when I worked from home, I gave them more time than in a salon...
I guess I felt I needed to in order to keep them coming back to a home set up.
Also,when you're out of the salon environment, you lose touch as to what salons are charging.:oops:

I used to book 1 1/2 hours for a cut & blowdry, so as not to overlap, and have the next client sitting in my lounge:eek:, and I never booked between a colour- a 3+ hour slot was the norm.o_O

These 'Home client's' still expect this, and feel 'neglected' if I book between, and don't spend the same amount of time on them!

Rather than pick a price out of the hat for your services have you worked out your total occupancy cost for the business each month?

When I opened my salon I took into account other salons prices to get a good idea, I'm not the most competitive with my prices but I'm certainly busy and covering my costs.

My clients from my last salon are paying alot more than they were before I opened up but I have found because it is my own business they are alot more supportive and are happy to pay.

On the negative side I have lost a alot too because hey can't afford me now but I have gained just as many new ones.

I agree with you, if your out yourself too Cheap you will scare people off because they don't trust you because they will be sceptical of the price.

I know how you feel about wanting to keep your loyal customers but I would advise that you have a think about giving them a cheaper price as you don't want to begrudge them in the future when you know you can be booking somebody else in who will pay alot more.

When I opened I offered a blanket 10% off for 3 weeks and it worked well to get new and old to come into the salon.

Great comments....how did you explain it? "Im afraid due to Rising costs of over heads" ect?
And what about your competition are you mid range?

So i have done this and at my current prices i need 15 people pw spending an average of £50 ( i do a lot of colour correction/ extensions that are well over that)

Then how did you come up with your final prices? Did you just cover everything or allow a wage too?

REDSTAR

How do you convince you're clients they will be getting the same service even when you not allowing the same time? X

Great comments....how did you explain it? "Im afraid due to Rising costs of over heads" ect?

So i have done this and at my current prices i need 15 people pw spending an average of £50 ( i do a lot of colour correction/ extensions that are well over that)

Then how did you come up with your final prices? Did you just cover everything or allow a wage too?

REDSTAR

How do you convince you're clients they will be getting the same service even when you not allowing the same time? X

Exactly.....this is the problem!
They ARE getting the same hair service....just not the me, me, me time. :p
Don't know about anyone else, but I should of gone into the counselling profession, if I did, I wouldn't have to cut hair! ;)

Exactly.....this is the problem!
They ARE getting the same hair service....just not the me, me, me time. :p
Don't know about anyone else, but I should of gone into the counselling profession, if I did, I wouldn't have to cut hair! ;)

Well we are counsellors aren't we

I think you should add your cut on as additional cost as not everyone always wants it cut so you do need to book out more time if they do. I just add on the price of a wet cut to my colours as blowdry is included anyway.
I would market yourself in the middle, so higher than the cheapest one as you can then do introductory offers etc to start off but less than the top one as you need to get established then gradually up your prices. Best of luck!

REDSTAR

I didn't explain the cost, I just told them how much it would cost them. I felt if I started to try and explain to them that they might think of it as a problem.

I have priced myself more mid to high range. Cut and blow dry £33, full head of highlights £81, root tint £38... I have a high cost for colours with being a master colour expert.
I also add the cut and blow dry onto the cost of colour.

I have factored a wage into my targets too. I am just taking a survival budget at the minute which is the minimum amount I need to pay all my domestic bills, food etc whilst I build up a reserve in my business account.

I came up with my final prices based on cost of stock per service, occupancy cost of the salon, and a personal wage too.

I didn't explain the cost, I just told them how much it would cost them. I felt if I started to try and explain to them that they might think of it as a problem.

I have priced myself more mid to high range. Cut and blow dry £33, full head of highlights £81, root tint £38... I have a high cost for colours with being a master colour expert.
I also add the cut and blow dry onto the cost of colour.

I have factored a wage into my targets too. I am just taking a survival budget at the minute which is the minimum amount I need to pay all my domestic bills, food etc whilst I build up a reserve in my business account.

I came up with my final prices based on cost of stock per service, occupancy cost of the salon, and a personal wage too.

That's a massive help.... thankyou love xx

Lastly those of you who charge separately for a cut and finish do you ever get asked for a blast dry? If so do you charge? I hate this as I like to see this finished colour x

Awesome advice above

Lastly those of you who charge separately for a cut and finish do you ever get asked for a blast dry? If so do you charge? I hate this as I like to see this finished colour x

I include a blow dry.....

My daughter works in a high end London salon, where the client has the option to 'self dry'.
Here lies the problem.o_O
They ask a junior assistant to 'help them'.......
They then ask for:
A nozzle
A selection of brushes
Clips
Products......
And finally..........can you help me!
Before you know it.,they are getting a full 'Chelsea blow-dry' for nought!:oops:

Give some folk an inch.......:cool:

We always do a free blowdry with all colours and add in the price of a dry cut, I would rather see the hair completed so i can recheck any cuts and then I know it's perfect before they walk out,

Think about an hours price for instance £30 for a cut and blowdry =1hr
£15 for dry cut = 30mins
I do the same for colour services so full head foils 2.5-3Hrs total service time £90 plus cut £15 ect

Hope that helps x

I had a new inquiry the other day.
I do her partners hair, nice guy. :cool:

How much would I charge her for colour.....
Vague.....:rolleyes:

I start with;
Root colour match = £70.00, (including complimentary blow dry).
Obviously, if we go for more, perhaps full head colour, lights, balayage etc....then we will quote at consultation.:)

WHAT!!!!!:confused:
Are you kidding me....!!!!:mad:
Why are you soooo expensive?
All the other salons are charging £40.00 all in!:p

I started to try to justify :oops:.......
STOP!!!!!:cool:

Folk will never care/understand/be AT ALL INTERESTED, in how we cost out, AND somehow give ourselves a wage - how dare we......:p

In these situations, brace yourselves.:cool:
This is what we charge,.....(pause)
Do you want to book, or would you like to think about it.......
Thank you.:D
End of.;)

I had a new inquiry the other day.
I do her partners hair, nice guy. :cool:

How much would I charge her for colour.....
Vague.....:rolleyes:

I start with;
Root colour match = £70.00, (including complimentary blow dry).
Obviously, if we go for more, perhaps full head colour, lights, balayage etc....then we will quote at consultation.:)

WHAT!!!!!:confused:
Are you kidding me....!!!!:mad:
Why are you soooo expensive?
All the other salons are charging £40.00 all in!:p

I started to try to justify :oops:.......
STOP!!!!!:cool:

Folk will never care/understand/be AT ALL INTERESTED, in how we cost out, AND somehow give ourselves a wage - how dare we......:p

In these situations, brace yourselves.:cool:
This is what we charge,.....(pause)
Do you want to book, or would you like to think about it.......
Thank you.:D
End of.;)

Your writing is always so expressive... I feel like I'm there haha

Latest posts

Back