New room, no window

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glitz and glam

Reaction score
hey geeks, im looking at a room tomorrow but it has no window. ive been looking for suitable premises since jan but there either too expensive very run down, too small or like being in a gold fish bowl with no privacy!!!
So the next plan was a room/office. its behind a barbers with its own private entrance which is perfect and it means although im in town its still private and the rental is perfect!!
This premises would allow me to get into town without major over heads and allowing me to grow my product lines & cliental ..... as always a down side lol... no window.
do any of you have a similar set up how do you get light in?
the entrance to the room is off a private entrance porch/corridor so i could leave the door open to allow natural light in and i guess get some good lights this would work when im doing nails just and dont need natural lights for massage, just not sure about waxing??
Hubby thinks i should ask if i could put a window of some discription in (would be doable) at my expense but i dont want to be too pushy

any advise x ty

How about getting a few of those daylight bulbs to put in some floor lamps? And loads of candles? Xx

i used to get my waxing done at a room in a hairdressers and they had plenty of light, i think she had a main strip light that was very bright and then some sub dued lighting around

hope this helps

I was talking to an electrician friend of mine at the weekend about lighting and he said the closest thing to daylight is a strip light either on the ceiling or the wall. I can ask him exactly what u need if u like??

I've worked in a room with no natural daylight, it had spot lights and I had no problem at all, as long as you've got good visability it shouldn't be a problem. I now have a salon at home with loads of natural light and that has it's pit falls, sometimes when I'm doing a facial or massage I can't get it dark enough!

Looks like your in my county, I had a fab salon in my town centre above a hair dressers, unfortunately it went under and like you I couldn't find anything suitable so set up at home.

Good luck with it, don't let the lighting put you off!! xxx

There are some lovley hanging strip lights in b&q, or you could put in some nice lights and have a pull down light (literally pull the lampshade from the celing and when finished u push it back up, no idea how they work but they do) for the nail bar, some bendy armed floor lamps with spotlights?

I'd go with 2 strip lights where the wall ad celing meet facing down and a nice chandelier with the flickering candle bulbs in (not much light but would be beautiful for massage and no open flames. Xoxo

thanks everyone, so i need to be creative with my lighting then. great suggestions.... very excited now :lol:

Hey carla louise nice to meet another dorset geek :wink2: thats pants, i have the opposite problem, had a home salon, moved about 5-8 miles, and now in a cabin which is ovely and peaceful but my clients wont drive litterally 5 mins and are begging me back into town... so off i go lol x

thanks everyone, so i need to be creative with my lighting then. great suggestions.... very excited now :lol:

Hey carla louise nice to meet another dorset geek :wink2: thats pants, i have the opposite problem, had a home salon, moved about 5-8 miles, and now in a cabin which is ovely and peaceful but my clients wont drive litterally 5 mins and are begging me back into town... so off i go lol x
I live on the edge of Dorset! My Matalan is in Dorset but my house is in Somerset! Lol.
P.s. Yes put loads of lovely lights in. I think you can be really creative with lights, and it can look beautiful.

Just a thought, cheap strip lights about 1 meter apart on one or 2 walls and cover it with tinelted Perspex for a lot of light but not too in your face and really unique, you could also make that idea smaller and put one strip accross the wall, like a headboard behind the bed, lower the celing and have a cut out with the light coming through with spotlights around(maybe expensive, but fibre optics to look like stars when the lights are off?), a strip atrium the skirting board for mood lighting, I know b&q and maplin both do stick on led strips of lights that would look good.

Xoxo

lol! well im not far from yeovil my hubby ran the calendar club yeovil this xmas and my sil lives chard, im just the other side of dorch! x :biggrin:

I have 2 x 5ft strips lights in they give off great light for waxing. My room does have a window but it over looks a realy messy yard so we keep the curtain closed.

x

Hey geeks just thought I'd give you all an update !
So, I went to look at the room and its great and HAS windows YaY !! Little things please little minds LOL I'm a little excited now :)
The room in general is in good condition, it was used as a office before and had redecorated in neutral colours new carpet and can keep any of the furniture that's suitable... So all in all very positive... Yes there were downsides but as i have windows I will find a way around it ha ha. Unfortunately there's electic socket pannels running across the main wall and going up to the main electric box. I am thinking of ways to hide it maybe mdf box as it where you would have a border. Taking hubby to look so he might have ideas.
Still like the idea of creative lighting :)
I also have use of the corridor so great for pictures ect. Just need to wait to hear from landlord Monday as they unfortunately had to take legal action from the last tenant to get possesion of the room again, so another waiting game but think it will be worth it.
Thanks for your help xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Hi

Ohhhh very exciting! I cant wait to one day Im in the position to look for a room!

All the very best!

xx

Hey geeks just thought I'd give you all an update !
So, I went to look at the room and its great and HAS windows YaY !! Little things please little minds LOL I'm a little excited now :)
The room in general is in good condition, it was used as a office before and had redecorated in neutral colours new carpet and can keep any of the furniture that's suitable... So all in all very positive... Yes there were downsides but as i have windows I will find a way around it ha ha. Unfortunately there's electic socket pannels running across the main wall and going up to the main electric box. I am thinking of ways to hide it maybe mdf box as it where you would have a border. Taking hubby to look so he might have ideas.
Still like the idea of creative lighting :)
I also have use of the corridor so great for pictures ect. Just need to wait to hear from landlord Monday as they unfortunately had to take legal action from the last tenant to get possesion of the room again, so another waiting game but think it will be worth it.
Thanks for your help xx

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using SalonGeek

Exciting!! if anything don't give up on the location with no windows. if you have a look at my spa photos on my profile you can see what you can do with lighting. i have no window in my location and it's bright, actually it was so bright i had to put a fabric ceiling up on one part because it felt hospital bright if that makes sense lol

Thanks for your advise ladies, unfortunatly the room has fallen through!
Probably a lucky escape as the landlady started telling me where i should put my furniture, asking what days id be working and telling me what to do... but still feel very deflated :( gone back to town to look around theres absolutely nothing there
really need town location, im a little rural and my clients would prefer town location, and i was really looking forward to my very own space :irked:

Ahhhh :( big hugs :hug::hug:

Just think it wasnt ment to be and when a door closes a window opens!!

Chin Up - sounds like you might have dodged a bullet with the landlady anyway!!

xx

Latest posts

Back