New rules about using a card reader

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julesf50

Reaction score
I’ve been told there are new rules where you can add the costs of using a card reader onto the customer. Does anyone know of this and if so how are you managing it in you salons. Many thanks in advance

New legislation came in mid January where you are no longer allowed to add a fee on to those using card to pay.

Its actually the other way round, you can no longer add an extra charge to people using credit/debit cards (you know when you used to pay for your holiday with Thomas Cook for instance they would charge you more for paying by credit card). It's been abolished in an attempt to stop people being ripped off with extra charges but some unscrupulous people have simply added the charge to all types of payment and called it a 'service charge' or 'admin charge'.

Personally when I introduced my card payment system I calculated how much it would cost over the year, divided that by the number of clients I had over the year and increased all my prices by that a amount. It coincided with my annual price increase so wasn't massively noticeable. This was about 8 years ago

Its actually the other way round, you can no longer add an extra charge to people using credit/debit cards (you know when you used to pay for your holiday with Thomas Cook for instance they would charge you more for paying by credit card). It's been abolished in an attempt to stop people being ripped off with extra charges but some unscrupulous people have simply added the charge to all types of payment and called it a 'service charge' or 'admin charge'.

Personally when I introduced my card payment system I calculated how much it would cost over the year, divided that by the number of clients I had over the year and increased all my prices by that a amount. It coincided with my annual price increase so wasn't massively noticeable. This was about 8 years ago

Does this apply to hmrc? I wouldn’t pay my tax bill by credit card but I noticed 4 days ago when I paid mine that they were still charging for credit cards?

Does this apply to hmrc? I wouldn’t pay my tax bill by credit card but I noticed 4 days ago when I paid mine that they were still charging for credit cards?

Yes it applies to everyone

Naughty hmrc...

Latest posts

Back