New salon opening advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash_ash

Reaction score
Right guys I am hoping to open a salon when this virus is over,

how do I work out the business rates?

I know I have salon rent, business rates, service charge

insurance I know I will need public liability, my own insurance to do treatments!
Music license

is there anything else I need to know I am writing up my business plan.

Any tips on anything would be lovely

How exciting. Lovely to have something to look forward to.
Register with HMRC and your local council. They will send you a bill for your rates as it depends on size and use age etc. For some stupid reason I didn’t do this straight away when I moved salons and ended up with a back dated bill which cost more each month!! If your salon is small enough you will get small business rates relief. They should be very helpful and sort all of this out for you.. maybe not at the moment though with all of the backlog they probably have with people claiming government grants etc!
Good luck with your new business.

insurance I know I will need public liability, my own insurance to do treatments!
Music license

There's a website called the music license that can give you a quote.. it think it was £300-£400 for a year from what I remember.

You will be able to look up the rateable value of your premises on your local authorities website. Multiply that by the correct multiplier and if the rates payable come out at 12k or less you can apply for small business rate relief and you won't have to pay anything.

Hope this helps

Music license

Hi Ash,

how are you getting on with this all?

I've secided im doing exactly the same, and ive come on here to find some extra info or advice.

Kind regards

Kirsty

Latest posts

Back