New salon owner insurance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treena1988

Reaction score
Hi ladies
I recently opened up my own salon I rent it monthly my rent includes my water but no insurance

I need some advice on the type of insurance I need for myself and the building eg contents, stock, liability, damage,vandalism,fire and theft etc?

I also have staff they are self employed in my salon so wondered do I need to insure them or do they insure them selves?

Am I looking at just a standard insurance or a different kind of business insurance?

Please help it’s so scary and all new to me

Thank you x

If you don't own the building then you only have to insure your contents and carry professional indemnity.
It is the owner's responsibility to insure the actual building against fire, subsidence, flood etc etc.

Your self-employed staff should be responsible for providing their own professional insurance. If they provide their own equipment then they should insure this under a contents policy.
When some-one joins you under a self-employment basis, ask for a copy of their insurance for your own peace of mind.

The Guild of therapists & BABTAC are probably the most used beauty salon insurers, but there are others.

You'll need business insurance, they cover public liability and all the other things you should need, self employed people should have their own insurance but I'd check they have it and insist they get it if they don't have it. I'd call round a few insurers for quotes and compare what they cover and find the best deal for you.

Thank you for the advice ❤️ Much appreciated xx

1 Stop Insurance is possibly one of the best insurers, they will do a checklist of things such as employees, public liability, cover excess of 1 million etc. They try and get the price down as low as possible, their quotes start from about £60 a month on a company with employers & public liability.

Also for hair colour I am not sure but I think there is another insurance for that & patch testing etc. Ring 1 stop insurance, they give the most amazing business advice.

their quotes start from about £60 a month on a company with employers & public liability.

I think you need to find a new broker. £60 a month when you’re not employing staff is excessive!

I think you need to find a new broker. £60 a month when you’re not employing staff is excessive!
Is it?

& the quote of £60 is for 10+ employees

Do the number of employees matter with employers liability insurance? I don't remember getting asked how many people were employed when I used to arrange it for a previous business. I thought it just covered all employees. Perhaps they did and I've forgotten, it was a few years ago. £60 a month does sound a bit steep, I don't remember paying that much for a larger staff than 10. Different industry though so maybe it's dearer for salons.

Is it?
& the quote of £60 is for 10+ employees

But the OP isn’t employing anyone, the other people are self employed so she only needs to cover herself inc. public liability cover.
I’d try Salon Gold for a starting point and 2 or 3 others for comparison.

But the OP isn’t employing anyone, the other people are self employed so she only needs to cover herself inc. public liability cover.

That does seem steep yeah, im going to try salon gold i just was not sure if i needed a different kind of insurance as im the owner of the salon thank you ladies xx

I’m with Salon gold and I insure in self employed as a perk and it’s only £38 a month

Latest posts

Back