New salon owners, how is it for you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukeofyork

Reaction score
Well i rent a salon behind a barber and have been here for 9 weeks now business is slow as expected as i had no client base when i opened but im making enough each week to cover my costs but not take a wage but the worst thing is the boredom between clients im so used to being busy all the time

How are other new or existing business owners finding it would love to hear

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Are you sure that the back of a barbers was right? It is just some ladies feel a bit nervous about having no make up or getting a bikini line done around men, I would. Look for a spaces else where and in the meantime offer free treatments, not to throw money away but to establish relationships and get practice, work does make more work. Sorry if this not want you want to hear, but after 15 years in business I do have an idea.

I just read your previous thread that I missed, which has a bit more info about your situation. It sounds as if you are questioning the space yourself? What drew you to it initially?

Hi eternal, sorry i should have mentioned i am a hairdresser, not a beautician, the only kind of bikini work i would be doing is a short back and sides lol,

well to be honest it was all rather rushed, i was desperate to get out of my previous job as a manager of a large city centre salon and found this salon renting space and i jumped at it without putting in the real legwork or thought behind it.

the space could work, but the salon doesnt have a unified vision, it feels rather disjointed and i am struggling to get my space noticed, unfortunatley the barbers is at the front so he has the window and you have to walk through a door in the barbers to get to my laides salon (which is twice the size of the barbers) so i struggle to get noticed.

the custom has been slow, but steady, there is a fair amount of competition around and they look much more inviting than the front of our salon

if im really honest i want my own salon, not a room and i think that is my problem, i dont have control over everything so i dont feel like i can fix all the problems i see

What about a open evening - a launch party? Invite local businesses and do a big flyer drop get the local media involved - make it a human interest story: City centre manager goes it alone type thing.
Id have little goodie bags with a little branded gift and a voucher for services booked within 2 weeks etc.
When people attend get them to jot there details down in a chance to win a full hair make over etc then you have a start of a mailing list.

Maybe get chatting to the blokes in the barbers most will have a wife/girlfriend, mother sister etc so see if you can help make drinks take coats etc in exchange for giving them a leaflet etc and see if you can put a small sign in the main window etc

Good luck!

xx

Would you consider doing a groupon deal?

Would you consider doing a groupon deal?

You will find most hairdressers and therapists on here would advise you against doing a groupon deal. If I were you I'd search the threads regarding the likes of groupon, kgb etc as you will find tons of info about them. Most of it being negative I'm afraid.:|
The only ones who gain with these type of offers are groupon themselves. I've read many people have worked their butt off for literally next to nothing in the hope of getting more clients through the salon door as it is so tempting to do a cheap deal. But the only clients you will attract are the deal chasers. Would you really want that?
Theres tons of ways to market yourself. There is also a great thread on here by Lynn Baker which is titled More ways to promote your business.
Have a read through its fab. Good luck with your new business. Hth:)

Latest posts

Back