New Salon - which layout

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JOM

Reaction score
I read the post in the right section sticky so sorry mods, could be in the wrong section this but didn't fit into any of the others...
eg: it's not just nails, it's not just skin, it's not just hair, it's not just business, it is all of those without being off topic!!! LOL.
Feel free to move it if I have made the wrong choice.

Now back to the reason I am posting...

The pictures below have the downstairs on the right and the upstairs on the left, only differance is:
- in the upper layout nails/sunbeds/beauty are all on the ground floor with upstairs for hair,
- while the bottom layout is hair/nails/beauty all ground floor and only sunbeds upstairs.

Which of these layouts would you say is best and why?
I want to know from a customers point of veiw if you are one of those and also from a nail tech and hair side of things.

Thanks for reading, here are the pics:
claytonlayoutwd7.jpg

Hey,

Have you got a receptionist? The problem we have had in the salon was we didn't have a receptionist and so when clients came early or someone wanted to buy vouchers we had to come out of the treatment room and serve to them. Now we are Joined with the hairdresses which is below us, so when clients come in now theres always someone to hand which we have had great feed back from as they don't feel as if they've waited so long.

Sunbeds i would say doesn't matter along as you don't get stared at when you come out of the booth. Sometimes you may not want people to have seen what you've been to the salon for, so might want it to be very discreet and also us girlies might take make-up off to go on the sunbeds so it's nice to be out the way of the main area, My local sunbed place has wipes in the rooms to take off deodrant and make-up which is a really nice extra and it has a make-up area at the back for you to sit in peace and re-apply make-up and has perfume and deodrant to put on if hot and sweaty. It's been open 2 years and is always heaving people even nip out in their lunch breaks to go.

Just some ideas, sorry to go on hope this helps :) xx

beauty needs to be in a quiet location, which out of hair or sunbeds, sundebs are the wuieter option. however i used to hear tokens clinking and meters beeping from my beauty room.

Think about the numbr of sunbed clients that are going to be in and out every day, i wouldnt want them trapesing allll through the salon. so personally, i would have the sunbeds at reception. OR Hair in the window, sunbeds at the back of the shop, and beauty upstairs.

dont forget you may beed a downstairs beauty room for old clients that cant manage the stairs, althought personally, I would switch the sunbeds and beauty room in the bottom pic. Just to confuse things lol. So hair and sunbeds r on the bottom floor, and beauty is upstairs.

i cant think of anything else atm.

x

Last edited:
agree totally with katelisa

hiya katelisa is 100% right....from my all knowledge as an interior designer i suggest the second plan it looks better ....and i think u absolutely should have the hair downstairs near the window with a small reception, and a nail station can be in the same room as well...the second room can be using for beauty for old people and upstairs i will put the sunbeds a make another beauty room...good luck with ur new salon...xxx

OK, thansk for the replys so far, much appreciated.
Reception will be covered at all times so no probs there.
About the sunbeds being in the salon, I suppose I should have mentioned I already have a salon but this one will be new and our other one doesn't have hair... so hair will be the new thing to us, at the moment we have the sunbeds in the main front salon and nobody seems to mind, we also have wipes and deorderant and stuff and mirrors so they come out looking nice.

My present salon is only small and had no room for hair, our main income is from nails, then beauty, then sunbeds and spraytans.
We have it is very similar to the upper one with the nails in the front with the sunbed cubicles and beauty at the back.

With this new building we might get, my GF who is a nail tech and beauty therapist says she isn't keen on the idea of hair dryers possibly being noisey and stuff while the nails people are doing nails and partly thinks the hair people would be better upstairs BUT she and me appreciate that it is just as important for the hair people to be in the window downstairs as it is the nails.
Hard one eh?
I also think there are more pro's and con's...

Pros of hair downstairs -
* salon will look far more spacious with hair downstairs
* nails being in the window will attract hair clients
* hair being in the window will attract nail clients
* clients will all be aware we do beauty and spray tans as they will see beauty clients downstairs
* more people, more fun, more banter etc

Cons of hair downstairs -
* Could be noisey (could it?)
* Hassle to go up and down to clean sunbeds after use

Are there anymore as I am favouring hair and nails together in the front?

hiya katelisa is 100% right....from my all knowledge as an interior designer i suggest the second plan it looks better ....and i think u absolutely should have the hair downstairs near the window with a small reception, and a nail station can be in the same room as well...the second room can be using for beauty for old people and upstairs i will put the sunbeds a make another beauty room...good luck with ur new salon...xxx
thanks...
not enough space for another beauty room, we would consider it at a later date

thanks for the well wishes folks, bit nerve racking all over again LOL

OH... before I forget
if we had the sunbeds up stairs there is room for 3 (rather than 2 like at our present place) BUT we would need 3 phase installing which can be a £4000 pound job, do any of you think it's worth it?
Then we could offer a lie down as well as the 2 verticals?

cheers guys

Just keep the sunbeds away from the nails if you can..I used to work in a sunbed shop and had to work with my L&P like the bionic woman. And that was in the winter! Summer was spent in misery trying to keep my room cool.
Heat rises so if you keep the nails downstairs and the sunbeds upstairs that would be good.

Last edited:
Yep, good point.
Had not thought about the heat (and the getting rid of it).
At our salon we already have we let the heat disperse into a loft area which has a window at the top which works to a certain extent but I wouldn't be able to do that at this new location as it has a proper upstairs.
Yes, it's another "Pro" for hair being downstairs and sunbeds upstairs can disperse heat into loft space and out the windows.

Latest posts

Back