New Skills Academy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinaP

Reaction score
Question for educators:

I'm super confused about places like new skills academy offering nail tech qualifications for £25. I even cheekily messaged them if you can get insured after their course and they said that yes, through Westminster Indemnity. I can't imagine this being any solid training.... What are your thoughts? I feel like that really cheapens the field...

Hi I looked at this to, and got the same reply was not sure if that meant that’s the only insurance you can get!! X

Question for educators:

I'm super confused about places like new skills academy offering nail tech qualifications for £25. I even cheekily messaged them if you can get insured after their course and they said that yes, through Westminster Indemnity. I can't imagine this being any solid training.... What are your thoughts? I feel like that really cheapens the field...

Well done for questioning what you've been told. As a comparison, I did my training 16 years ago with CND, it was close to £800 back then for a 5 day beginners course. CND are internationally recognised for training and have won numerous awards. How anyone can imagine a day course for £25 will be of any use in a professional environment is scary.

It's perhaps a great intoduction to the world of nails, or maybe for a hobbyist but certainly not enough to make you a competant business worthy nail technician.

To truly test the validity of any training would be to approach one of the main insurance companies such as Salon Gold, ABT, or Towergate and ask if they accept the training providers qualification. Don't just accept what you are told by the provider.

Good luck, you're starting on great form already

Great that you both are asking questions and thinking about this.

Unfortunately, there are schools in this industry throughout Europe that offer cheap and poor quality education, and take advantage of newbie confusion.

Learning to become a competent Nail Tech, requires developing practical skills and also theoretical knowledge, not unlike that needed to obtain a driving licence. It is highly unlikely that most of us could learn to drive through an online class and it is a really poor substitute when used for the basic Nail Tech training.

Your success in the future will correspond directly to your abilities and knowledge. Remember, it is not only about getting a certificate, but also having the ability to compete against other salons.

So do choose the best education and invest in this. It will make the future easier and brighter.

The best investment you can make is in your training.

Your knowledge and skills are what will set you apart from your competition and you will be better informed to make good product choices for your business.

I did the new skills academy nail tech course, I got it off Groupon. I used it as a trial, whilst I was deciding whether to retrain as a nail tech. It's a series of very vague and general videos and instructions, such as "apply the gel polish". I wouldn't consider myself qualified after it and would be very surprised if it was accepted as a professional qualification

Here's a screenshot of the instructions for applying acrylic, to give you an idea... View attachment 209984

Here's a screenshot of the instructions for applying acrylic, to give you an idea... View attachment 209984

WTAF!!! Shame on you New Skills Acadamy for taking peoples hard earned money for that. I've seen better instruction on the back of a DIY acrylic set available in the local chemists. :mad:

WTAF!!! Shame on you New Skills Acadamy for taking peoples hard earned money for that. I've seen better instruction on the back of a DIY acrylic set available in the local chemists. :mad:
Yup. That why I posted a screenshot lol like there's vague and then there's that, you wouldn't believe it if you didn't see it

Yup. That why I posted a screenshot lol like there's vague and then there's that, you wouldn't believe it if you didn't see it

Thank you for sharing the information so people can make informed decisions. We all know one day courses are not sufficient to teach the kind of skills we use but to have actual proof is invaluable :)

WOW! IMO training for nail techs should cover law, ethics, business, health, safety, sterilization, hygiene, relevant anatomy, physiology, consultation, contra-indications, contra-actions, manicure, pedicure treatments and then the nail system e.g. acrylic, u.v. gel and or fibreglass/silk etc. Nail art is a separate skill altogether. If the course you're on isn't teaching you these basic things give it a pass and move along. Nails are a highly practical service and take hundreds of hours to hone these skills. A 1 day course just aint gonna cut it! Save you're money and time and look for something better It might get you a piece of paper that will get you insurance. But when you want to go professional you won't have the knowledge or skills to run the business and will quickly find yourself sinking under the weight of it all.... People neglect business skills. No point in learning to do something if you're not going to learn how to run your business smoothly.

Hope this helps

Nicky x

I trained with new skill academy 3 years ago, never done a client but have managed to get professional accounts plus I enquired about insurance through salon gold and was able to purchase with it. However I’m now looking to INVEST my money into maybe bio & elim because honestly although I’ve got the skills I don’t have the confidence to do someone out in the public. I defo recommend investing in your training. You’ll probably give clients more trust in you as a tech x

Latest posts

Back