New Start what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andi

Reaction score
Hello Geeks, just a bit of advice please. Until recently I used to rent a beauty room, I was there for about 18 years, and anyway long story short I have now left and doing mobile. I have had lots of tips etc on here for making life easier as regard to light couches and portable equipment.

The first thing I want to know is that how do you make it a really nice experience for the client when you are doing the treatment in their home. I used to always use scented candles and music. I have got a ipod with small speakers that I use sometimes but what about the candles is it a good idea. I'm thinking that about when I finish and what to do with the hot wax in the glass. The other thing is I'm thinking of renaming myself so as to disassociate myself from the beauty room I rented. Do you think that this would be a good idea?

All those little touches sound lovely. I use candles - just extinguish them at the earliest opportunity without spoiling the ambiance so they've got a chance to cool down, and make sure they're in a supported, upright position in the car.

Was the name you had at the beauty room your own, sole business, or were there several therapists there? If it was just you I'd keep your name. It's so hard to build a brand. Only rebrand if there's a solid business case for doing so and you've got some budget/resources for spreading the word to new customers and reassuring existing ones. If you "shared" the business then definitely go for something new.

Hope that helps and best of luck! x

Thanks for that about the candles yes I will try that that about blowing out earlier. Yes it was only me there but the name reflected part of the building so I feel that it doesn't fit with me being mobile now. I thought that the name should reflect that fact, I shall have a think about it over the weekend, I am a bit confused at the moment as you can probably tell by this message, thanks again for you help.

Ooh then a new name sounds like the best option. Have a good old brainstorm - fill a pad with words and ideas and eventually some will stand out to you. You can also run your ideas by friends and family - and on here of course :)

Then Carl from Verve can do you a lovely new logo and you can let all your old clients know that you have an exciting new venture - and crack on with attracting new ones x

They do make flameless candles...don't quote me, but I think they have scented ones. I used to love them when my daughter was little, no risk of burns! :) Good luck!

Hiya! Maybe for the 1st batch of your price cards and on your website for a while you could have 'your new mobile name' then in smaller letters 'previously your old rented room name'

The 'long story short' bit in your 1st post on this thread prob means you really do want to detach yourself from them, just tell the clients you built up from there what you're doing so you don't confuse them....thats if you decide to do that. :)

I agree with makeupartistzoe it would be a good idea to have "previously xxx", also have a photo of yourself on your website, leaflets, ad in local paper etc so old clients will instantly reconise you.
Out of interest after 18 years of renting a room, what made you decide to go mobile? Did you ever want to have your own salon? xxx

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have decided to change my name I now just have to decide on which one but I will let you know. That's a good idea about adding my previous name on the new literature I will definitely do that.
Emma the place that I was renting from had some issues with repairs, that the landlord was not prepared to do and it just got so bad that it made it impossible to continue to carrying on working there. So I decided to cut my loses and leave while I still had some clients! It was a bit of a wrench at the time but I'm getting used to it now. One of the problems is that not all of my old clients want to have treatment at home (don't quite know why) so I have lost a few but I will just have to try and to find some new ones that do. Thanks again for your all your help.

Latest posts

Back