New start with Nails (after giving up!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiegees

Reaction score
First I would like to thank everyone on here who has helped and supported me with my ups and downs (mainly downs!) with nails! To put it simply, I started a nail bar in September, and it was a nightmare. I could not get the hang of shellac and nor could the self employed therapist - they seemed to be not lasting on our clients. I do accept this is nothing to do with shellac - it was about us not doing it properly I am sure - but even after having a CND educator in for 3 hours to help, things did not improve.

So I bought Gelish eventually, but by this time I was really hating it all - I hated going in, hated the nail bar and hated doing nails. But we did have a bit of success with gelish - but it was too late.

Anyhow the therapist left in november so closed the nail bar and was quite intent on pretty much not continuing nails. However my husbands business has a piercing studio attached and I had a few regular nail customers who I started to do gelish on, and one by one they have been coming to my husbands business and saying how pleased they are with their nails and want appointments. So I have been going in and doing them in the piercing studio.

After spending several weeks at home I now feel differently. A seperate nail bar (like £100 a week) should not have been set up when it could have been a part of my husbands existing business and operated from the piercing studio. Piercing is only offered on a saturday afternoon so its free the rest of the time.

I dont have to be there and man it as the existing staff can take bookings and for the time being I am just sticking to the regulars I have and not doing extra marketing. I only have about 8, plus a few others who are not so regular. And that is fine for now to build my confidence. And in February I plan to have a launch and start promoting the services.

Interestingly I am now a self-employed nail and beauty therapist working for my husband and I think it will be fab! No rushing, no pressure... Maybe I can start enjoying it....

We also have a wholesale internet body jewellery business which my husband and I are both partners in, and I think it was all too much for me. Now I can do as much or as little as I want with nails and it will be a much better fit with the other business. I thought I could handle it all, but it seems not.

I am sorry this is such a novel..... thank you all for your support and help in the last few months. Doing nails rocks!

Have attached a photo of the piercing studio

xx

Attachments

• beauty room sm.jpg
    beauty room sm.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 113
good on ya for having another go.. best of luck.

when life gives you lemons.........make lemonade! well done for not giving up and keeping at it.

hi hun

I've followed your threads on geek and i just knew you'd come back to nails. It grabs you and takes hold! I wish you all the luck and success, sometimes taking a step back and looking at everything and slowing things down is just what needs to be done. Whilst we get excited and sometimes rush in, we also need to think that this is a marathon not a race, so like you say in the future you'll build from there. I'm so pleased for you hun. Good luck and rock those nails!

Love n hugs x x x

Nails are addictive it seems so you always want to give it another go or keep trying..I'm glad you've found a better route for your nail business and also it will be less stressful for you!

Good luck :)

Thank you all for your replies and good wishes - I really appreciate it. Thank you happy feet for your kindness and for sharing my ups and downs. I have a Gelish appointment tomorrow morning and am going to be relaxed...... even though the lady is having it done for her sons wedding on Saturday....

Thank you again - its so nice to have the support from this site in both the good and bad times. Im sure there is not a site like this anywhere else where advice is given so freely and genuinely.

xx

Latest posts

Back