New starter, I'm pretty annoyed!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all so I interviewed for a junior stylist recently and the local college recommended a level 2 newly qualified student my way. She is a slightly older girl with kids (I prefer this as they tend not to call in sick on a Saturday morning [emoji23])

She came up trumps and her work was ok (nothing training cannot fix)

The job advertised was 2 -3 days per week. One late night and a Saturday. All staff must do these as it's our busiest period. This was explained and in the interview she said this was fine and childcare should be arranged.

Now I have some issues: She has sent me a request for more money(higher than NMW)[emoji15]
And she only wants to do mornings , no weekends or evenings!

Sorry but I feel this is taking the pee to be fair! For someone who was 'desperate' to get a break into the industry to now change the goal posts I feel is just rude!
She will not be running a column yet and will not be bringing in money, so why should I pay her a higher wage??

What do you guys think? X

Hi, I would move on and hire someone else. Someone who will adhere to the pay and the hours/days.

Best of luck! :)

She's definitely in no position to negotiate! She's no real experience, this is something she will gain from you. Working late shifts and weekends are just part and parcel of the industry and you get used to it.
All the best - it's hard getting the right staff x

I think I need to revoke the offer. Any advice , I'm legally ok to do this right? X

I would not hire this one ...... I smell trouble if this is how she bargain's before ANYTHING has been bought to the table!!
I'm working on my own at present - I've just had to 'let someone go', as in 4 years employed, they failed to build, and lost me plenty! o_O
The interviews I've done of late, it has become the thing, that those bringing the least - ie NO CLIENT'S - are expecting the most!!!:mad:
Where have all the good guys gone....?:confused:

I think I need to revoke the offer. Any advice , I'm legally ok to do this right? X
If she's on a probation period, you can just let her go. Otherwise I'm not sure what the procedure is...

If she's on a probation period, you can just let her go. Otherwise I'm not sure what the procedure is...
She hasn't even started yet [emoji847]

She hasn't even started yet [emoji847]
She must be some sort of idiot then. I definitely wouldn't employ her, she's just going to let you down

She must be some sort of idiot then. I definitely wouldn't employ her, she's just going to let you down
I know. She's in her 30s no experience, I was seriously edging my bets with her, this is a complete no no in my mind. Just have to make sure I'm being legally sound.

At this stage you can rescind the offer with no comeback.
You made it clear that the offer of employment was wholly dependent on her accepting your terms including what days/hours were required and the rate of pay available.
In return she’s let you know that she is unwilling to accept those terms by making a counter offer.
You can choose not to enter into any negotiations.

Therefore, there is no agreement between the parties.

I think even if she back tracks at this stage and tries to accept your initial terms, it’s clear that she isn’t willing to commit to late nights and week-end working and would try to wriggle out of doing them at a later date.

It’s a shame that you can’t find someone qualified who’s willing to work part-time.
Have you tried advertising via your local wholesalers?

It’s a shame that you can’t find someone qualified who’s willing to work part-time.
Have you tried advertising via your local wholesalers?
Oooh wow that's a great idea. I haven't thought of that. I'd do this tomorrow x

Ok so a spanner in the works, she is saying now that she has a damaged foot. This means standing for many hours is uncomfortable.

Ahhhhhhhh I want to be inclusive but this just screams disaster

STOP communicating with her ! Tell her she’s not what you’re looking for , wish her luck and bye [emoji112]

Hi chick, stand up realise you a buisness woman not a friend. I certainly wouldn’t employ someone like that no way!

Thankyou guys... Big girl knickers well and truely on!!

Sent from my EVA-L09 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back