New Tech - Q of the day!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Tech

Reaction score
Hey there Nail Gurus!!!

Here's my problem....(it seems I always have one doesn't it??):

My Thumb nail! Oh Boy! I've got a verticle split dead straight down the center. Right now....it's about half way down...but the rest of the way has a ridge there.....so even though I keep cutting the nail down to keep it from catching on anything and ripping it off and causing me to say lots of bad words!.....The split isn't getting shorter.....it's always the same length...which obviously leads me to believe that the ridge is just continuing the split. I've tried to file the ridge down but....it's very tender...so that's not working.
Does anyone have any thoughts? The funny thing is....I don't remember doing anything to that nail....and now....I've got this issue.
Any help would be sooooooo great...and my thumb thanks you too!!!

Hi ya Hun,
Furrows - Onychorrhexis

On the nail , they run from the matrix to the free edge. Just one single line could be inherited or caused by injury to the matrix, dont buff the line out as it may be very thin already and will only make the split worse..........................
Try this.............
If there is no inflamation or sign of infection you can overlay the nail with either a thin layer of acrylic, gel or apply a nail wrap with fibreglass or silk.
This will protect the nail and will stop you from saying those little blue words.....................But I am afraid as the fault is in the matrix it is usualy permanent, so the overlay will solve theproblem but not cure it ......

Just a thought
love Ruth xxxxxx

Yeah...that was what I was thinking but I always thought that the split had to be coming from the matrix going towards the free edge. Mine is from the free edge going half way down the nail. But a ridge starts where the split stops and continues down to the eponychium. yes....it's very tender....and I guess my concern of doing the natural overlay is the open split. The thought of placing my hand in my light unit....just scares me right now. I know there will be major heat sensitivities!!!! Thanks for responding....I really appreciate it!! :D

Right Hun, there should not be any major heat sensation when you are doing Gels..................

If you apply very thin layers of gel, there wont be so much product curing under the light , hence less heat............

So apply thinly and try this also, place the hand for a few seconds under the light and remove.
Then back under the light for the normal curing time..................
It should take the initial heat build up out of the gel so to speak ............
hope this helps
love Ruth xxxxx

I'm thinking that the heat sensitivities will come from the fact that I tried to file down that ridge....and now it's red! But, yes....I completely agree with your in and out suggestion! Thanks soooooo much....you've been a huge help....oh by the way.....the split doesn't have to start at the eponychium to be Onychorrhexis??? Or am I totally off on this.....I always thought that it did! I'm confused!!
Thanks....you're a gem!

The word translated just means splitting nail..........
Boy the do know how to name things dont they.........

It starts of as a line from the matrix and when it gets to the free edge starts splitting..........................The thinner the nail ( line) the higher the chances are that the split will seem to travel towards the eponychium. A nice little curtain effect, as I call it ....................

love Ruth xxxxxxxxx

Yup.....that's what I've got!! Lovely! I was hoping it was a figment of my imaginations.....obviously...my imagination is very real-like! a

Thanks...one more time....you've been a huge help!!!!!!!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back