New Tech who could do with some help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MichelleMicMac

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am sooooo glad to have found Salon Geek, now I don't feel so alone :confused:

I am a fairly new nail Tech and I keep seeing a lot of acronyms / 'buzz' words & tech talk that I don't understand.

The ones I am struggling with right now are TIO and the difference between Hard Gel and 'normal' Gel. Each time I read something I seem to find some terminology that I don't understand. I am sure I will get used to it but at the moment it feels like I am having to learn a whole new language too !!

Any help offered will be very gratefully received. Thank you.

Hi Michelle. I've found this site to be a wealth of information too - welcome to the site!

I can definitely tell you that TIO stands for Top It Off which is used as the final coat in Nail Harmony's Gelish system so that's one query out of the way.

I stand corrected if I'm wrong here as I haven't worked with hard gels before but I think they are generally used for tips and sculptures and not so much on natural nails unless a client likes to have their nails quite long or just can't get on with the likes of Gelish. I also don't think the hard gels soak off and have to be filed off but like I said, I'm sure someone will correct me here if I'm wrong.

x

Hi Everyone,
The ones I am struggling with right now are TIO and the difference between Hard Gel and 'normal' Gel. Each time I read something I seem to find some terminology that I don't understand. I am sure I will get used to it but at the moment it feels like I am having to learn a whole new language too !!
HI Michelle,

welcome to geekdom... firstly, to help us direct our answers, could you please add more detail to your profile - what product/services you use/offer and also what training you have done..

'Normal Gel' is actually 'hard gel' they have been around for 30 years or so...
Soak off polish gels are much newer (although a few have been around decades)

The revolution for this type of service was launched a few years ago when CND (Creative Nail Design) launched Shellac and the public came flocking...
CND - Creative Nail Design, Professional Nail, Hand and Foot Beauty Products - Artificial Acrylic Nails and Brisa Gel.

CND are the global leader and trendsetter - always pushing the boundary of what the industry can offer, all packaged up with award winning training... The sort of questions you have, all CND techs can answer easily.

Also -
I highly recommend 'Doug Schoon's book - Nail Structure & product chemistry' (in fact, I think every technician should have a copy). It is truly the most comprehensive nail book on the market and will explain so much in language you can understand...

good luck on your exciting new journey

Thanks to both of you for the help & I will update my profile (when I have managed to navigate my way around this site a little more so that I can do that) xxx

Hello! Hard gels tend to be gels that aren't soak able and need to filed off to remove. These gels would be like CND Brisa gels, OPI Axxium gels, and Young Nails Synergy gels to name a few. You can use these gels to sculpt, overlay natural nails and over tips. The soft gels tend to be soakable, like Shellac, Gelcolor, ManiQ and Axxium soak off gel colors. These gels can be easily removed by acetone. They aren't meant to lengthen a nail, however they do add strength. Hope this helps. :)

Latest posts

Back