New tier announcement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DebzBeauty

Reaction score
Hi,
I’ve tried to contact the beauty council but no joy so far, so asking you all!
I’m a mobile therapist & live in Gloucestershire - we are going into tier 4 tonight.. a lot of my clients are in Herefordshire who will be in tier 3. Am I right in thinking that I can’t go to their homes to carry out treatments as I’m from a tier 4 area?? Not sure as it says on the gov website you can only leave a tier 4 for work, which is what I will be doing... any thoughts?? Thanks!

It's all very confusing, Tier 4 'close contact personal' have to close, including mobile so I think (and this is my interpretation) that you should not be carrying out treats in any area/tier.

There is also the advice to not travel between tiers, although not enforceable by law.

We're back to your Risk Assessment decisions. Do you want to potentially transmit the virus to clients in a lower tier? I'd also be worried by clients who are OK by asking someone from the highest tier to enter their home.

I appreciate your comments. I do agree with you totally, just wish we were all the same so we know what we are doing! (Actually I wish for it all to go away & get back to normal but can’t see that at this moment!) Will see if I can get any further clarification from the beauty council & also my insurers... I’m with the guild.. so far, nothing from either! Has anyone heard from their insurers? Babtac etc?

I appreciate your comments. I do agree with you totally, just wish we were all the same so we know what we are doing! (Actually I wish for it all to go away & get back to normal but can’t see that at this moment!) Will see if I can get any further clarification from the beauty council & also my insurers... I’m with the guild.. so far, nothing from either! Has anyone heard from their insurers? Babtac etc?

If you get any steer from them can you post it on here, I'm sure there are others in a similar position who would appreciate the information

It’s all very conflicting. There was a post on the NHBF Facebook page that I will link to below but it basically says you can travel out of tier 4 to work in other tiers yet beauty/hair must close in tier 4. It goes against all they are trying to do to prevent the spread of this damn virus!
I am mobile in tier 4. I would have to travel miles & miles to get to a tier 3 area but even if an area was close by, there would be no way I would travel there to work.
If the shoe was on the other foot & you had a Salon in tier 3, a client wouldn’t legally be allowed to travel to you if they lived in tier 4 so really it shouldn’t be any different for mobile working.

It’s all very conflicting. There was a post on the NHBF Facebook page that I will link to below but it basically says you can travel out of tier 4 to work in other tiers yet beauty/hair must close in tier 4. It goes against all they are trying to do to prevent the spread of this damn virus!
I am mobile in tier 4. I would have to travel miles & miles to get to a tier 3 area but even if an area was close by, there would be no way I would travel there to work.
If the shoe was on the other foot & you had a Salon in tier 3, a client wouldn’t legally be allowed to travel to you if they lived in tier 4 so really it shouldn’t be any different for mobile working.

Yes I saw that too.
The beauty council have said that if you live in tier 4 but your ‘regular place of work is tier 3 you can still work’ - I said to them can I honestly go into people’s homes in a lower tier?? The way they worded their answer seemed to mean working in a salon. I’m not, I’m going into people’s homes. I guess if I don’t get an answer I either just don’t work or I ask every client if they are happy for me to see them?! Fortunately I’m done for this year & my next client is on Monday so I have some time. Morally I’m thinking I can’t work... I wish my insurers would advise.., no answer yet!

Yes I saw that too.
The beauty council have said that if you live in tier 4 but your ‘regular place of work is tier 3 you can still work’ - I said to them can I honestly go into people’s homes in a lower tier?? The way they worded their answer seemed to mean working in a salon. I’m not, I’m going into people’s homes. I guess if I don’t get an answer I either just don’t work or I ask every client if they are happy for me to see them?! Fortunately I’m done for this year & my next client is on Monday so I have some time. Morally I’m thinking I can’t work... I wish my insurers would advise.., no answer yet!
Unfortunately insurers won’t advise anything, all they will say is follow the guidelines.
Mobile can still work in tier 3 so I would assume it would be the same travelling from tier 4.
I think in this case you need to do what you feel is best. Personally I wouldn’t go into another tier, if a client was going to catch anything from me & become seriously ill, I would feel awful. We’re not allowed to work in tier 4 because we are classed as non essential & obviously deemed as “unsafe” so can’t see the reasoning in being safe to work in other tiers.
If you do decide to work, wear your ppe & make sure client does too, be extra scrupulous with your cleaning & try to limit your contact with clients even more than you would normally.
Whatever you decide, good luck & have a happy new year.

Unfortunately insurers won’t advise anything, all they will say is follow the guidelines.
Mobile can still work in tier 3 so I would assume it would be the same travelling from tier 4.
I think in this case you need to do what you feel is best. Personally I wouldn’t go into another tier, if a client was going to catch anything from me & become seriously ill, I would feel awful. We’re not allowed to work in tier 4 because we are classed as non essential & obviously deemed as “unsafe” so can’t see the reasoning in being safe to work in other tiers.
If you do decide to work, wear your ppe & make sure client does too, be extra scrupulous with your cleaning & try to limit your contact with clients even more than you would normally.
Whatever you decide, good luck & have a happy new year.
Appreciate your comments. I’ve decided it’s not morally right. I’ve also had feedback from a couple of clients in the lower tier & they don’t want me coming anyway but have assured me that I’ve not lost them & can’t wait to see me again. Hope 2021 is better for us all in the beauty & hair industry..
Keep safe everyone xx

Appreciate your comments. I’ve decided it’s not morally right. I’ve also had feedback from a couple of clients in the lower tier & they don’t want me coming anyway but have assured me that I’ve not lost them & can’t wait to see me again. Hope 2021 is better for us all in the beauty & hair industry..
Keep safe everyone xx
I’m glad you’ve decided that & your clients too. With more areas going into the higher tiers, it’s not only clients safety that is important but your safety too.
Hope 2021 brings us better times x

I’m glad you’ve decided that & your clients too. With more areas going into the higher tiers, it’s not only clients safety that is important but your safety too.
Hope 2021 brings us better times x
Thank you. Take care & keep safe all x

Unfortunately if you live in tier 4 all contact services have to close, I am the same, I live 3 doors from tier 3 but am in tier 4. "In areas under Tier 4: Stay at Home, all businesses providing close contact services must close". It also says you must not travel between tiers to minimise the spread of infection. My local town is 3 miles down the road but I can't nip in so have to travel over 20 miles to the next biggest town within my tier.

Unfortunately if you live in tier 4 all contact services have to close, I am the same, I live 3 doors from tier 3 but am in tier 4. "In areas under Tier 4: Stay at Home, all businesses providing close contact services must close". It also says you must not travel between tiers to minimise the spread of infection. My local town is 3 miles down the road but I can't nip in so have to travel over 20 miles to the next biggest town within my tier.
Yes... was surprised the NHBF & the beauty council were saying we can. Feel I’ve made the right decision by closing. Keep safe x

It's rubbish isn't it. Your local authority should be able to confirm it with you. All the best x

Latest posts

Back